Fandango’s Provocative Question #165

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

You may have read about the tragic events this past weekend in Buffalo, New York, where a gunman shot down 10 black people at a supermarket. Before committing that heinous act, he had stated his intent was to “kill as many black people as possible.” He wrote these words in a 180-page manifesto published online before he carried out what investigators are calling a hate crime and a racist act of violent extremism.

The 18-year-old white man, who claimed to target a specific zip code in Buffalo because it “has the highest black percentage that is close enough to where I live,” repeatedly lamented about immigration, which he feared would result in “ethnic replacement,” “cultural replacement,” “racial replacement,” and ultimately, he wrote, “white genocide.”

This is the “white replacement theory” or the “Great Replacement” that has motivated similar mass killings in recent years. It is a racist conspiracy theory that holds that, through immigration, interracial marriage, integration, and violence, and at the behest of secret forces orchestrated by “global elites” (i.e., Jews), Christian whites are being disenfranchised, disempowered, and pushed out of “white nations.”

This notion, which serves as a justification for violence directed at Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Jews, and Muslims, is being justified and promoted aggressively by the far right in the United States. At the same time, those on the right (and not just on the far right) are condemning teaching or discussing Critical Race Theory (CRT), which is an academic concept the core of which is the idea that race is a social construct, and that racism is not merely the product of individual bias or prejudice, but also something embedded in legal systems and policies. In other words, it’s the study of how American racism has shaped public policy.

On the one hand, “white replacement theory promotes violence against any group that its proponents perceive as a threat to the purity, the supremacy, and even the survival of the white race. “Critical race theory,” on the other hand, is a non-violent way of trying to understand the systemic racism that pervades society in the United States.

My provocative question this week is a bit unusual in that I’m not looking for a specific answer as much as I am your reactions to, and thoughts about, what I have written above. So…

How do you feel about what is going on in the United States in regard to racism? Do you see any way of reconciling the concepts of White Replacement Theory and Critical Race Theory?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

22 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #165

1. Mister Bump UK May 18, 2022 / 4:01 am

I think racism exists in other places, too, including institutional racism, but they have become more subtle about it.

In America, and as with e.g. guns, sufficient numbers of people believe in racism that I don’t think it is going away. I don’t see the US progressing as a society.

2. Marleen May 18, 2022 / 8:58 am

The white people who subscribe to the “replacement” concept obviously have more of a right to live on this continent (or these American continents) instead of the people who were native to the region before any white people got here and took over and propagated. Right? Isn’t that how it works?

3. Marleen May 18, 2022 / 9:40 am

Tucker’s … [sleight of hand about] … Buffalo …

4. cagedunn May 18, 2022 / 1:58 pm

Looking back far enough, it’s clear to see we all came from the same place, have the same origins, and then a group of wanderers near starvation sought to eat grain and lost melanin in their skin and became white so they could absorb enough vitamin D [because the body no longer produced enough of it] – that’s the real difference, and everything else is anti-social justification for fear of being unmasked/ungrouped/ex-communicated from their beliefs/enculturation. Or am I one of the uncivilised?

• Fandango May 18, 2022 / 9:57 pm

You’re right, we all came from the same place and we’re all equal. But like the pigs in “Animal Farm,” some pigs believe they are better and more equal than other animals.

• cagedunn May 19, 2022 / 1:37 am

Delusional dipsticks, is all I can say to those who behave like El Supremo Napoleon pig-shit.
        My apologies for the mini-rant, but I don’t know a single person who could be called ‘pure’ of blood. Even the DNA tests prove the mix of genetics of (so far) all tests conducted for the purpose of discovering heritage.

5. Marilyn Armstrong May 18, 2022 / 8:01 pm

To put it succinctly? No. If we have made this little progress in this amount of time, I don’t see a future that will be much better. We may “tamp it down,” but we won’t get rid of it. But I’ll give you a better version tomorrow — or maybe Friday. This one, for obvious reasons, needs a bit of thought.

• Fandango May 18, 2022 / 10:01 pm

I look forward, Marilyn, to reading your further thoughts.