She’s Not Who We Thought She Was

They said she was a Lab mix. And she looked like a Lab mix. We’ve had many rescue dogs over the years, most of them Labrador Retriever mixes, and we loved them all. From a disposition standpoint, Labs are sweet, gentle, friendly, warm, and loving. And we were thrilled two months ago to adopt yet another Lab mix.

But when our daughter came over a few days after we brought her home, she said, “I don’t think she’s a Lab mix. I think she’s more Boxer than Lab.” So, I did what any responsible pet owner would do. I ordered a doggy-DNA test.

It took a while to get the results back because, as I wrote here, the first sample I sent in got lost in the mail and the DNA lab had to send me another kit. Finally, though, on April 20th, I received an email with the results.

What??? She’s mostly Pit Bull and Bulldog with a little bit of German Shepherd! No way! What happened to our Lab mix? Clearly the doggy-DNA company got it wrong. Or they mixed up our dog’s saliva sample with some other dog’s sample.

So I ordered a second DNA test kit from a different doggy-DNA company. Surely this test would prove that our 16-month-old Lab mix is, indeed, a Lab mix.

I received an email today with the results of that second DNA test.

I had to Google “American Staffordshire Terrier” to find out that it has much in common with American Pit Bull Terriers and is considered to be a “Pit Bull” breed. Also, one article said that “the American Staffordshire Terrier is one of the breeds that gave origin to the American Bully. Nonetheless, it is more similar to the American Pit Bull Terrier. They share almost identical features.”

Bottom line, our “Lab mix” dog is mostly Pit Bull Terrier with hardly any Labrador Retriever in her genes. What a shocker!

Well, she is what she is, and even though she’s not not who we thought she was, we love her nonetheless.

26 thoughts on “She’s Not Who We Thought She Was

1. Sadje May 13, 2022 / 5:11 pm

The bottom line is the important part

2. Em May 13, 2022 / 5:13 pm

That’s funny. I looked at the picture and thought “definitely some Staffordshire terrier” there. I’ve always loved a good mutt.

3. Marleen May 13, 2022 / 5:32 pm

I’ve been sort of stewing (a teeny bit) over the fact that the last time I went to my local doctors office, and saw someone else in his group practice because he wasn’t there that week, three of the major things I was trying to do there didn’t pan out. I don’t remember why I was there in the first place, but by general physician doesn’t do pap smears; this lady I saw does. But the office lost it or the results. If it had been only one thing, they probably would’ve blamed “the mail” — they did vaguely blame ?but not blame exactly) the lab (for one of the things). But if you’ve got a lady-things test on one hand and a colon test on the other (sent to an entirely different lab) and, on top of that, have forgotten to call in a prescription… not likely the mail or any delivery service other than the follow through of the nurse. The nurse for this lady physician additionally tried to gaslight me that no pap smear had taken place. Oh… I had my feet up in the stirrups for the fun of it, hey? The “nurse practitioner” (not the nurse) affirmed that we had gotten a culture. At some point, they told me the colon test was negative.

Anyway… sounds like it will be interesting to see what this different kind of dog will be like, that you got.

4. Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris May 13, 2022 / 5:46 pm

Many years ago I took the kids to the shelter, each to pick out their own puppy. They fell in love with a very tiny, brother and sister pair; like them. Generally our shelter did not allow double dog adoptions but, since they were brother and sister and we were known to them, we took our two little mutt dogs home. We were told they were lab, possibly some shepherd and other things down a long line of mutt-hood.

Within a week or two they developed the telltale signs of big white feet, white barrel chest, droopy eyes and droopy jowls. It was obvious they were St. Bernard puppies! Luckily, we had the land to accommodate them. If we had been apartment dwellers, they would’ve had to go back.

So upon visiting the vet for their shots, etc., he said he knew what the mix was; St. Bernard and Burmese Mountain Dog!! They got huge in adulthood, about 185 lbs each and so lovable and SO slobbery! Sadly, due to their size and probably genetics, they only lived to be nine years old. But we loved them dearly all the way. ❤️

• Fandango May 13, 2022 / 8:15 pm

185 lbs each? That’s HUGE. Our dog weighs in at 65 and hopefully she won’t get much heavier. But she’s very muscular and very strong!

5. XingfuMama May 13, 2022 / 5:59 pm

My grandmother had a pit bull who was super sweet. It was kind of fun to see how gentle he was with my 5′ tall over 85 grandma.

6. donmatthewspoetry May 13, 2022 / 8:58 pm

Jeez Fan, Pit Bulls are renowned for wrecking the house when the owner goes away. Particularly on a bike to SF. They can sense it. You live and learn they say……..

• Fandango May 14, 2022 / 12:00 am

And while you can’t see it, she has a German Shepherd tale.

7. Mister Bump UK May 13, 2022 / 11:12 pm

Staffies are pretty well-known here. Reputation as hard-as-nails attack dogs. Pure muscle. Yes very much like a pit bull.

But the few I met were lovely.

8. Taswegian1957 May 14, 2022 / 12:12 am

I can see the Staffy there I think. Cindy had a bit of Staffy in her. I think that you will get to see how nature vs nurture works with your girl. You love her and that’s all that matters in the end.

9. Words on Paper May 14, 2022 / 1:44 am

Genetics are unpredictable at best. I dread to think about what my heritage is as I’m a crazy mixed-up kind of person. Hopefully, I am loved for who I am, not who I’m supposed to be…

10. Nope, Not Pam May 14, 2022 / 4:56 am

She’s your pup and you love her to bits, that’s what counts

11. pensitivity101 May 14, 2022 / 2:51 pm

Glad you love her anyway. My dog Lucy was a collie cross labrador I was told, but as she grew up, her tail was that of a red setter and the shape was all wrong. Turned out the Mum had a dalliance with the setter up the road.
    Sadly I had to rehome her as she didn’t get on with the new boyfriend’s GSD and was from working stock so as a domestic pet she was soon bored and whilst not destructive, not very happy. My Dad found her a new home on a farm and she was in her element.

• Fandango May 14, 2022 / 5:06 pm

I’m glad you were able to find a good home for her.

• pensitivity101 May 15, 2022 / 3:18 am

She was a lovely dog, very similar to Maggie in colouring and size, but she needed to be busy. Dad said she took to the people who came to look at her straight away and jumped in their car ready to go as he was collecting her toys and blanket. He would never have let her go if he had any doubts.

12. Carol anne May 15, 2022 / 12:48 am

No wonder she shredded your pillows! Those dogs need to be stimulated constantly or they get bored! My sister has an american bully. She’s so cute but boy does she chew things up. Xx

13. leigha66 May 15, 2022 / 10:08 pm

Quite a mix there… glad you did not decide to “return” her when you found out she was not what you expected. I know there are those who would. You’ll give her a happy home!

14. Michael July 24, 2022 / 3:19 am

So if it looks like a lab and smells like a lab and walks like a lab it is most definitely not a lab it sseems!

• Fandango July 24, 2022 / 7:01 am

So it seems and so it is!

Comments are closed.