TMP — Lost in the Mail

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. My peeve today is about the United States Postal Service, or USPS.

The motto of the USPS is “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.” That’s all well and good, but what about mismanagement and incompetence?

Donald Trump appointed Louis DeJoy, a major political donor and fundraiser for the Republican Party, as Postmaster General. DeJoy is the first postmaster in two decades without prior experience in the USPS, and his mission since taking over the USPS seems to be geared towards dismantling it, maybe in the hope of taking it private.

Mail service has been abysmal since DeJoy took over, but due to some arcane procedural rules, Joe Biden, who promised to remove DeJoy, has as yet been unable to do so.

My specific peeve with the USPS started shortly after my wife and I adopted a rescue dog on March 20th. She is allegedly a Labrador Retriever mix, but the more I look at her, I think she’s got some Boxer in her. Maybe more Boxer than Lab. That would make her a “Boxador.”

So I purchased on of those doggy DNA kits in order to find out what her make up is. I swabbed her mouth, packed up the materials in the designated envelope, took it to the post office, and handed it the postal worker behind the counter just after noon on the 16th.

According USPS tracking, six hours later the package left my local post office and arrived at the Regional Distribution Center at 11:30 that night. The last tracking notation from the USPS, dated March 19, said, “Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.”

That was nine days ago! Where is it now? What happened to it?

This morning I called the USPS to try to determine the status of the delivery. I was advised to fill out an online tracking service request, which I did. The response I got said, “Your inquiry has been forwarded to the appropriate management team for research and response. You can expect initial contact within one-business day.”

I’m not holding my breath.

37 thoughts on “TMP — Lost in the Mail

1. Carol anne March 28, 2022 / 1:10 pm

Thats ridiculous. Someone sent me some jewelry that was handmade from the USA. I never got it. I don’t know why or what happened to it. Xx

2. Jewish Young Professional "JYP" March 28, 2022 / 1:19 pm

Ah the postal service! I had a package shipped via USPS that took the strangest, most illogical route in getting to me, bouncing to states nowhere near the point of origin nor the destination, volleying between the same two cities (neither being origin or destination) at one point, and visiting more US states than I have in my entire lifetime (ok, that is a slight exaggeration, but it was a whole bunch of states!) before finally arriving seven weeks later. It takes all of five hours tops to drive between the origin city and destination city. Seven weeks!

• Fandango March 28, 2022 / 3:04 pm

Seven weeks! I guess I should be happy that my item has only been missing in action for nine days.

• Jewish Young Professional "JYP" March 28, 2022 / 8:01 pm

At least in my case it was just a frivolous online shopping purchase, not something time-sensitive like a gift or perishable food items. Today, I received the free COVID tests that I ordered over 2 months ago.

• Fandango March 28, 2022 / 10:51 pm

Yeah, those COVID tests took a lot longer to arrive than they said it would.

3. Marleen March 28, 2022 / 1:57 pm

If you hadn’t named him, I was going to say LOUIS DEJOY. There, I said it anyway. His mission IS to dismantle it (we even saw pictures of him literally destroying and trashing good equipment); he has a conflict of personal interest as well as an ideology of ruination of anything that belongs to We the People. It’s called neo-liberal or conservative/neo-conservative.

4. Geoff Stamper March 28, 2022 / 3:45 pm

Even Amazon screws it up but at least they send me a replacement. And then the original shows up months later!

5. JT Twissel March 28, 2022 / 5:40 pm

I’ve definitely noticed a lot more problems with the Post Office and it’s a shame because the ladies at my local PO are really sweet and they’ve been there forever. It’s not their fault.

6. Lou Carreras March 28, 2022 / 6:57 pm

I admit that as a UPS retiree I always ship commissions UPS and never USPS. One Christmas I shipped some packages via UPS – arrival on time, but the ones hipped two days earlier via USPS were late.
    Besides I know all the guilt trip producing memes that crawl right up the back of a UPS manager, and sink into their little Brown Blooded hearts and make them cringe.

7. Nope, Not Pam March 29, 2022 / 3:11 am

Here in oz, Australia Post decided that we would have an express service, so now they hold regular mail for 10 days. Want it earlier? Pay for the express service 😡

8. Maria Michaela March 29, 2022 / 3:42 am

When I worked at Amazon, I hated USPS so much. I was happy when I was moved to Amazon UK. The courier service is a little better there based on my experience.

9. pensitivity101 March 29, 2022 / 6:47 am

Our mail is all over the place and they are putting prices up on April 1st. It is rare we have a Saturday delivery, and round times vary from 11am to 7pm depending on who is on duty. We are aware though that staff shortages have been rife locally and to get any mail at all is a bonus. Lucky for us, we don’t get much, however we are expecting our new broadband router in the next week or so ready for the changeover on the 10th.

10. Marilyn Armstrong March 29, 2022 / 1:37 pm

I keep wondering how come they can’t fire DeJoy for incompetence. He IS incompetent. Extremely incompetent on every possible level. I’m there some rule about public service employees, but isn’t incompetence good even for those people? What am I missing?

• Marleen March 29, 2022 / 2:41 pm

I wonder, plausibly, if it (the idea of procedural rules) is an inexplicable excuse on par with asking “the parliamentarian” before trying to go forward with decisions Congress was enthusiastically elected to do [but not do].

• Fandango March 29, 2022 / 5:55 pm

Apparently, under law, the president lacks the authority to dismiss the postmaster general. That power rests with the USPS Board of Governors, a nine-member panel that can remove DeJoy with a majority vote. But right now, the majority on that panel are Republicans, who appear unwilling to do so.

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 8:29 am

Yeah, I heard something like that. As I also heard stuff (less plausible but certainly used anyway for something else or a variety of somethings to be written off because only Republicans are supposed to be bold or jackassy in approach even if and especially as it’s for their dominance rather than for goodness); stuff about the parliamentarian (sure). Seems like we have a bunch of stupid procedures (and, no, I don’t think blaming the parliamentarian is really quite like our cumbersome hang-ups along the lines of the Electoral College and gerrymandering and on and on designed to not get much done except for the ultra-wealthy meanwhile not being very much about the People. On the other hand, I haven’t looked back at [if I knew, which I did, at the time that] this example is similar to the Federal Reserve having a ten year cycle or something like that; how Trump got to appoint a head for the Post Office likewise. I’m sure there are explanations, but I just think we’re going down the tubes; not that we ever quite got things right in the big picture. I was thinking, yesterday though, that maybe the Nixon resignation was our high point (holding someone accountable, at least, except that he subsequently got pardoned and set a precedent for going free when an ordinary person wouldn’t). Doesn’t say much for us, but we were in an upward rather than downward trajectory (potentially) then (or I feel that way if I’m looking). [Which is exactly why it all had to be thrown in the air with the Southern Strategy and Reagan and onward to the Clinton subversion of democratic principles.] I was commenting, a few days ago to my kids, that we haven’t even gotten a fifteen-dollar minimum wage… but since anyone got such pay (for instance Amazon workers after Bernie and other actual progressives were pushing for it) it’s time for inflation (so the money won’t go far for them or people who still get less than that either). What a game; that’s obviously not an answer (not that I thought it was when I was younger, but we need to address things somehow or maybe we don’t). We have to, instead and more overarchingly, do something about our corrupt value system and lethargy. But I doubt we will. We’re going to keep the sicko and self-serving Supreme Court justices too. There’s a way to remove them regardless that they are only appointed — and for life — to replace an open seat when another dies or steps down. But so what? That way is for show. Plus, we have a body of lawmakers… what’s that called? Oh, but it’s majority is Democrats. I keep telling myself to keep on swimming, but it’s a struggle against cynicism. There has been a concerted, long-term effort to shit up the Post Office. Republicans (or “conservatives” especially) have had such a penchant (on the surface while I wonder about both parties). Of course Republicans are out there all about it! Because they have to contradict their rhetoric about THE CONSITUTION. This crap is intentional (by the muckety mucks and not only in the government or in this particular constitutional service sector’s leadership) and not on the part of the regular employees generally, let me hasten ti say.

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 8:35 am

Morals. We’re long gone. The title here is, “This is F*cking Terrifying”

I seem to recall we have a body of lawmakers. Oh, well.

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 9:52 am

{I’m going to go ahead and say that headline is misleading; and that he has enough money, and the track record, to get headlines he wants.}

But the story that took shape, that Thiel was looking [via the company Ambrosia] to harvest the blood of the young, simply isn’t true according to Karmazin, who told us when asked that he was never contacted by Thiel or anyone associated with Thiel Capital. “I wish I did know Peter Thiel,” he said. “He’s not even a patient. If he were, I would have to say ‘We can’t disclose that information.’ …’.”

Unquestionably, Thiel has been interested in cheating death for several years. He told Business Insider back in 2012, “Death is a problem that can be solved.” He’s also investing in life extension research, funding Cynthia Kenyon, Aubrey de Grey and a number of other researchers who are focused on anti-aging. Last fall, the life extension startup Unity Biotechnology also raised an enormous round of funding from Thiel and other Silicon Valley billionaires interested in the prospect of humans living much longer lives.

Ambrosia — which takes donated teen blood and pumps it into anyone age 35 or older for $8,000 a pop — seems like just the type of wild startup that would interest Thiel. As questionable as the idea sounds, blood from the young is not new. The process, known as parabiosis, has at least been successful in mice. Karmazin also says he’s seen his own patients’ hair return from gray back to its original color, and he says he has noted a remarkable difference in pep in the 600 or so people now going through treatment in his facility.

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 9:57 am

Oh, for Q-anon crowd: Peter Thiel funded THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN — and was onstage prominently at the Republican convention for 2016.

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 10:51 am

WASHINGTON – A postcard mailed to every American household that included coronavirus social distancing guidelines and also prominently featured President Donald Trump’s name cost the U.S. Postal Service $28 million, USA TODAY has learned.

The coronavirus card, which began appearing in U.S. mailboxes in March, drew fire from good-government groups that said it applied a political veneer to the administration’s effort to inform Americans about the pandemic. …

“President Trump’s coronavirus guidelines for America” was emblazoned on one side of the postcard in upper-case letters. The other side of the card included social distancing recommendations, encouraging Americans to avoid restaurants and bars, forgo discretionary travel and cancel social gathering with more than 10 people.

….

….

….

….

….

….

….

……….

The Postal Service sent the coronavirus postcard to 138 million residential addresses starting on March 21. While the distancing guidelines remain in place, Trump has since encouraged states to allow restaurants, schools and businesses to reopen. Taxpayer-funded mail for politicians is a perennial issue in Washington, usually for members of Congress.

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 12:28 pm

Similarly, efforts are underway to sneakily undermine and privatise the health services in the UK. This despite the general belief, there, that health care should be available. However, it is sometimes said that the UK doesn’t have an “enacted” or a voted-upon written constitution or legal constitution rather than a political constitution or traditional law or common law. So, while our founders considered delivery a function to be basic enough for writing up in the fundamental document, it seems all of civilization is up for grabs now.

• Fandango March 29, 2022 / 5:51 pm

According to slate.com, “While the president can fire other high-ranking executive officials at will, federal law bars the president from terminating the postmaster general under any circumstances. Biden can attempt to oust DeJoy indirectly, but that option is fraught with legal uncertainties, and certain to trigger Republican complaints of norm busting.”

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 2:10 pm

I’m pretty sure a functional government is “certain to trigger Republican complaints.” Also, I consider Slate’s characterization to be misleading. Of course, they can technically say the English grammar works (but not accurately for most readers in terms of understanding).

11. Marleen March 30, 2022 / 1:16 pm

Here we go:

02.04.22

[Senator Sheldon] WHITEHOUSE CALLS FOR CONFIRMATION OF USPS BOARD OF GOVERNORS NOMINEES TO ADDRESS MAJOR OPERATIONAL PROBLEMS UNDER POSTMASTER GENERAL DEJOY

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) today called for speedy approval of the two pending nominees to the United States Postal Service (USPS) Board of Governors, citing an urgent need for a change in leadership at the agency. Whitehouse’s call comes after a new report that the EPA and the White House Council on Environmental Quality have warned USPS that its plan to replace its massive fleet with thousands of polluting gas-powered delivery vehicles does not comply with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act. The USPS fleet makes up about one third of all government vehicles.

“The Postal Service urgently needs a change in leadership,” said [Senator Sheldon] Whitehouse. “… Postmaster General DeJoy has messed around with our mail system for too long and he’s caused real harm to the Americans who rely on it. …”

The nine-seat USPS Board of Governors has the sole authority to remove the Postmaster General, who was appointed by the previous administration. President Biden put forth two nominees in November, but they have not yet been confirmed, leaving the Board under the control of a Republican-appointed Chair.

Press Contact Meaghan McCabe, (401) 453-5294

• Marleen March 30, 2022 / 1:50 pm

………….

Who picks the governors?

The president selects the nominees for the Postal Service’s governing board, who in turn must secure Senate confirmation with a simple majority vote.

There are specific parameters required by law for the nine who are nominated to the board: Only five may be from the same political party; nominees must have experience in public service, law, accounting or corporate management; and at least four of the governors must have experience managing organizations or corporations of at least 50,000 employees.

Stroman, a Democrat, is the recently retired deputy postmaster general. Hajjar, also a Democrat, is the former general counsel to the American Postal Workers Union. McReynolds, an independent, is the chief executive of the National Vote at Home Institute.

Governors serve seven-year terms, and are paid $30,000 a year, plus a $300 per diem on days when conducting postal business.

………….

How many governors are there?

There are nine members of the Postal Service board of governors, who are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate, plus the postmaster general and deputy postmaster general, who are selected by the governors. The postmaster general and deputy postmaster general are voting members of the board, but cannot vote on certain issues, including the hiring and removal of the postmaster general, and his or her salary.

Who are the USPS governors right now?

There are six current members — Chairman Ron A. Bloom, Vice Chairman Roman Martinez IV, Robert M. Duncan, John Barger, William Zollars and Donald Lee Moak — and four openings.

Bloom and Moak are Democrats, while Martinez, Duncan, Barger and Zollars are Republicans. All were nominated by former president Donald Trump. Bloom’s term expired in December, but he is serving in a one-year holdover until his successor is nominated and confirmed.

Trump also nominated David C. Williams, the agency’s former inspector general, as a governor, but Williams resigned from the board in April 2020 over concerns about the hiring of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy and the Trump administration’s involvement in postal operations.

Can Biden fire the USPS governors?

It’s complicated, but the simple answer is under certain circumstances. Legally, the president can remove governors “only for cause.” But what does “cause” mean in this context? It’s unclear. Some experts interpret that to mean some level of wrongdoing, such as breaking the law or becoming entangled in a conflict of interest. Simply having policy disagreements, they contend, does not constitute “cause” for removal.

Others, namely congressional Democrats, disagree. They assert that certain policy decisions — such as hiring a postmaster general they view as unqualified, or approving widespread service cuts — are cause enough to fire the governors.

“There should not be any toleration for [the governors’] silence or complicity in overseeing these harmful policy changes that have also eroded public trust in this agency,” Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) wrote to Biden in February asking him to fire the governors.

The more complicated part of this question is something called “Seila Law.” ….

………….

• Marleen April 2, 2022 / 5:44 pm

President Biden Announces Nominees for United States Postal Service Board of Governors

NOVEMBER 19, 2021 • STATEMENTS AND RELEASES

Today, President Joe Biden announced his intent to nominate two leaders to the bipartisan United States Postal Service Board of Governors to replace outgoing Governors Ron Bloom and John Barger.

Daniel Tangherlini, Nominee for Governor, United States Postal Service

Derek Kan, Nominee for Governor, United States Postal Service

The USPS serves hundreds of millions of Americans across the nation every day. President Biden is committed to supporting USPS workers so ………………….

• Marleen April 5, 2022 / 1:25 pm

I wrote, on March 31, something additional about the Washington Post article (just above). But I haven’t sufficiently looked over it for tweaks or edits, yet.

As for the video, below (in this post), Whitehouse is one of the senators listed (along with a set of others) as supporting this dangerous suppression of free speech, a suppression that would benefit Merdock’s FOX (for one). What a shame, as I don’t usually dislike him.

[As usual, go ahead and skip the first and last forty-five-second spans.]

Shared on YouTube four hours ago: A proposed bi-partisan bill would push Big Tech and Big Media to make content distribution deals, further cementing their alliance and pushing out independent creators.

• Marleen April 8, 2022 / 9:48 am

Interesting to consider this quotation after Republicans in the confirmation show for the run-up to midterms tried to paint the Supreme Court nominee as seeing p*doph*l*s as “misunderstood.”

Jeff Bezos, in 2018: “… you have to be willing to be misunderstood.”

“We just unionized Amazon” — How Two Best Friends
      Beat the Retail Giant’s Union-Busting Campaign

Democracy Now (Monday April 4) concerning the Friday success: We … speak with … interim president of the new union and former Amazon supervisor… after Amazon fired him at the height of the pandemic for demanding better worker protections. … We also speak with … [vice president] Derrick Palmer, who works at the Amazon JFK8 warehouse in Staten Island … about intimidation tactics the company used. Reporter Josefa Velásquez covered the union drive …[reporting for a nonprofit online news site based in NYC]

• Marleen May 19, 2022 / 11:35 am

Posted May 11 by Democracy Now: … Meet [ Two ] Terminated Amazon Warehouse Workers …

Comments are closed.