Truthful Tuesday — Money Matters

Di, host of Pensivity101, is once again standing in for Melanie, of Sparks from a Combustible Mind, for today’s Truthful Tuesday prompt. This week Di wants to know about how we’re dealing with energy prices and inflation. She wants to know…

With energy prices and inflation going mad, what changes will you be able to make to save money? Do you think there is anything you can do in respect of voicing your concerns?

I wish I could say I’m making major changes to save money, but I’m not. I have hired a landscaper to tear out my water-hungry front lawn and replace it with a dry creek bed design and drought friendly plantings. I’m doing it mostly because we’re experiencing a severe drought in northern California and I want to be a responsible citizen by cutting back on my use of water just to keep my grass green. But based upon what I’ll end up spending on this project, it will probably take about ten years to recoup my costs through reduced water bills.

Also, related to water usage, my wife and are both taking showers every other day, rather than daily. Given the drought situation, that is the least we can do.

I would turn the thermostat up 78° to save the on the electric bills for air conditioning, but my wife frequently has hot flashes, and I’d much rather spend more money to keep our house nice and cool on these very hot summer days than deal with a woman in heat (i.e., experiencing hot flashes).

Is there anything I can do to voice my concerns? Yeah. I can grumble and groan and piss and moan.

12 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Money Matters

1. Paula Light August 30, 2022 / 6:39 am

I don’t know what more I can cut, since I’m in a condo without a yard and don’t do much as it is!

2. donmatthewspoetry August 30, 2022 / 6:59 am

You’re to be commended in doing the pebble bit but the cost to do vs water saved is an interesting question…….

grumble/groan/piss/moan….that rhymes….well done

I just got a cost-of living handout from our govt. Cos I’m a poor struggling senior…..

3. Taswegian1957 August 30, 2022 / 7:55 am

It sounds like you are doing what you can not to waste resources. When it comes to heating and cooling there is a fine line to tread. You don’t want to waste power but you don’t want to be a martyr and suffer in the heat or go to bed early to keep warm in winter.
    We are on tank water here so we have cut back on showers too. It all helps.

4. Lauren August 30, 2022 / 8:07 am

I did a DIY artificial grass in my backyard. I left about 1/6 of the yard for Annie to do her business. I’ve started watering that little patch. I wish there was a way to recycle shower water for the yard. This drought in SoCal is harsh.

5. newepicauthor August 30, 2022 / 10:25 am

If you and you wife showered together, that could save on water, as long as there is no hanky panky going on while you are in there together.

6. pensitivity101 August 30, 2022 / 12:54 pm

I sympathise with your wife’s hot flushes. It’s why I take my post cancer meds at night as it’s one of the side effects (the only one for me actually as far as I can tell).
    I therefore have my flushes at night and Hubby says I’m like a hot water bottle that never gets cold. Good for him of course as he feels the cold more than I do.

7. Marilyn Armstrong August 30, 2022 / 8:30 pm

We all do what we can. Frankly, the utility companies are making it insanely difficult to do anything positive for the environment. They are going to suck every penny out of every one of us no matter where we live on earth. All things considered, we have done our best. No matter how hard we try, they keep making it harder. At least you’re keeping the gardener’s employed.

It’s insane, but this is capitalism at its finest.

• Fandango August 30, 2022 / 9:40 pm

So many people around here in NoCal are getting rid of their grass lawns and replacing them with dry creek beds and low-water, drought tolerant plants surrounded by bark mulch, like we have. Landscaping companies are raking it in.

8. Carol anne September 20, 2022 / 11:38 am

You don’t want to deal with a woman going through hot flashes! No siree!