The Fifth Amendment Hypocrisy

Donald Trump appeared yesterday in a New York civil case brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office in its probe into the Trump Organization’s business practices. But the former President invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination during the deposition.

Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment right more than 440 times during the deposition. He answered just one question — his name — and then cited the Fifth on every other question he was asked.

Isn’t it interesting that Donald Trump has suggested on many occasions that people who invoke their right against self-incrimination are guilty? “You see the mob takes the Fifth,” Trump said during a 2016 rally in Iowa. “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”

You’re right, Donald. If you are innocent, why did you taking the Fifth Amendment? More than 440 times!

17 thoughts on “The Fifth Amendment Hypocrisy

1. Paula Light August 11, 2022 / 6:26 am

His hypocrisy doesn’t faze his fans one bit! They irritate me more than he does. How can anyone support this slimy criminal?

• Fandango August 11, 2022 / 2:31 pm

That is an excellent question, Paula. Willful ignorance, it must be.

2. XingfuMama August 11, 2022 / 9:25 am

He asked the right question. What’s he afraid of? How come the crowd isn’t shouting “lock him up”? He’s been ripping them off.

• Marleen August 11, 2022 / 8:05 pm

I really hope he gets kicked up. One news source (more like presenter) I watch said his being kicked up (except like in a home incarceration) is very unlikely. Perhaps if he is adjudicated a traitor, though, he can actually be incarcerated. Anyway, it’s so true that his followers have been duped and fleeced… and that they don’t seem to have actual values.

• Marleen August 11, 2022 / 8:54 pm

😬locked up.

As for followers, even somone like Marco Rubio shows himself to have no values. That’s how it seems to me. I already wasn’t impressed with him when I was still a conservative. But he at least appeared to stick by some set of principles. Not so. He said seemingly strong things against Trump during the 2015-16 primary season. Then he gave it up.

• Fandango August 11, 2022 / 9:48 pm

Seems like all the Republicans have given up.

• Marleen August 11, 2022 / 10:04 pm

They’re really icky.

• Marleen August 12, 2022 / 12:30 am

Gotta add… it wasn’t Trump being nominated or elected that moved me out of voting for Republicans (while I never considered myself a Republican). There was something wrong there for a long time, although not as blatant. (Sadly, most Democrats are in the non-blatant corrupt camp now. It is the better of two options. The Republicans aren’t just corrupt, they’re outright specimens of pathology from sociopathy to I don’t know what.) The last time I chose a Republican for President, though, was in 2000. I regret that (yet don’t know if I would have been disappointed by the other option too). After that, I went through not picking a Republican or a Democrat; both “sides” were for the very same things I was most paying attention to (which I was against) at the time. But I saw the grotesque character of the Republicans before 2015, and started voting Democrat for President before. (And I had voted for a Democrat encumbant for Congress way back over a decade prior for nearly the same reason — Republicans picked on the candidate even though he had voted well on issues. Like I said, I never considered myself a Republican.)

• Marleen August 11, 2022 / 10:08 pm

He’s ripping them off, anew, now. Sending out fundraising communications based on the fact his premises were searched. And they’re doing the thing they got in trouble for doing before — automatically setting up monthly payments.

3. Marleen August 11, 2022 / 9:57 am

In the particular case where he did that, they will be able to presume a negative inference based on his non-answers — when they are deciding on the verdict. It’s a “civil” case rather than criminal.

4. rugby843 August 11, 2022 / 10:33 am

Yes I saw that and along with his family who also did the same. Discouraging and we probably will never see him brought to Justice

Sent from my iPhone

5. Nope, Not Pam August 11, 2022 / 1:12 pm

He listened to his lawyer obviously … which might just be a first, him listening to someone

6. Carol anne August 14, 2022 / 11:27 am

Because, its one rule for him, and one for everyone else! He’s a dickhead!