Another Rant

There are times these days that I wish I could make like a bear and hibernate until things get better. But because I’m a human being and not a bear, that is impossible. So instead I log into WordPress and start to grouse about how terrible everything around us is and how the fabric of our country is becoming unraveled right before our eyes due to extreme political partisanship.

It was never my primary purpose to use this blog as a platform for the delivery of political rants and raves about such things, but my country is in the midst of such a raucous ideological donnybrook and I simply can’t remain silent.

I do apologize if you find such posts distasteful, and I will try to keep my rants to a minimum, but sometimes I just can’t help myself from sounding the alarm. But is anybody really listening? Apparently not.

Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (hibernate/tasteful), Scott’s Daily Prompt (impossible), Your Daily Word Prompt (grouse), My Vivid Blog (fabric), The Daily Spur (primary), E.M.’s. Random Word Prompt (delivery), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (donnybrook). Photo credit: shutterstock.com.

23 thoughts on “Another Rant

1. CARAMEL March 19, 2022 / 2:28 am

I think that most people are aware of and concerned by all sorts of developments on a social and economic level, prices of food, energy at home, and the very distressing scenes we see internationally – Ukraine, Afghanistan and other areas where safety and human rights are flimsy. There are many who are sighing and groaning over all these issues and threats to welfare and security. Apart from those who decide willfully not to watch the news at all and to carry on in their own bubble.

I do understand that some people just feel they have to protect their mental health and there is a limit to how much they can take in when it comes to negative thoughts, words etc. I do get that. But any balanced person has to be concerned about the very serious things going on right now. Many people want something to hope for, something to believe in, and I am not so sure politics provides that for a significant amount of people. Whereas others feel politics is everything.

On a personal level, I don’t find political conversations on a certain level constructive. I cannot even begin to communicate how beyond insanity it seems to allow individual people the power they have, including having destructive nuclear weapons at their fingertips. At the same time, when a political leader with lots of noble ideas cannot enact any of them because of the makeup of the politically divided landscape they operate within, it is of course frustrating when they cannot enact positive changes. All of my concern about what other people are suffering just makes me thing, what can I do? what can we do? It gives me more energy and more passion to giving my all to the charities I work with, who right now are immersed in huge relief efforts. But I love the work they do in educating, training, equipping people in so many lands to love the land and natural resources they are surrounded by and to build strong communities in caring for their environment, dignifying all people.

I see a corrupt system is crumbling, but I just want to build towards a better future. There are so many aspects of current politics, commercialism and society that I really would not miss. But I take as a huge positive that despite anxieties, there are so many people who want to do the right thing, the right thing for the planet we live on, the right thing as far as people being able to live safe, dignified lives without feeling threatened and discriminated against. There is so much good, so much desire for things to be better. But we need it on a scale much bigger than one general election.

• Fandango March 19, 2022 / 1:37 pm

“…there are so many people who want to do the right thing, the right thing for the planet we live on, the right thing as far as people being able to live safe, dignified lives without feeling threatened and discriminated against.” Yes, you’re right, there are. But not enough and they are not necessarily powerful enough to bring about the kinds of positive changes that many of us would like to see. And that’s why I’m not optimistic about things getting better in the short run, if at all. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.

• CARAMEL March 19, 2022 / 2:54 pm

I think you are right that good hearted people are not powerful enough on their own to bring the positive changes the world needs. But at the same time, that is no reason to give up doing what is within one’s power to be a positive force.
        I think it pretty clear there are turbulent times ahead, and I think it will be a challenge for all to keep their senses, and do what is right.

2. Gr8BigFun March 19, 2022 / 6:08 am

It worries us all Fandango. The same is happening north of the border to a lesser degree. What I do find so frightening is the apathy amongst voters, especially young voter, unfortunately the discourse turns more of them away and they begin to devalue democracy. Some even look to the fascist/communist models because from the outside they seem orderly and in control. Of course this is a fallacy but for some the only reference point is the buffoonery that has befallen our elected officials.

• Fandango March 19, 2022 / 5:08 pm

Our elected officials are not exactly role models young people.

3. Marleen March 19, 2022 / 9:21 am

I like your use of the prompts, and I do like to listen. Today, I especially enjoyed hibernate and grouse. Plus, there’s a show in my home “town” (Saint Louis) called Donnybrook. I had thought it was named after a host or founder, a Donny Brook (or spell that any other way, like Bruck or Barack). I’ve learned something fun, today. I think we have to keep going; there’s no other way to hope to improve anything.

4. emkingston March 19, 2022 / 11:42 am

I am definitely listening 🙂 Remember that this is your safe space that you invite people into basically, and we should never be offended by your truth 🙂 Good debates can happen with good friends and acquaintances on here, and I feel you have many more like me than the latter. Keep up the good fight and use that powerful voice! Big hugs my friend!

5. Marilyn Armstrong March 20, 2022 / 6:05 pm

Listening, but wondering if anyone who doesn’t already agree is listening. I feel like I’m preaching to the choir — and the choir just wants to go home and eat dessert.

• Fandango March 20, 2022 / 8:50 pm

Good point. Most of those who read my blog are like-minded.