Substitute Music Teacher #2

Hi, it’s me again, Fandango. Jim is still on vacation and I’m once again filling in for him. But don’t you worry, he’ll be back hosting Song Lyric Sunday again next week. Anyway, let’s get down to business.

Last week’s Song Lyric Sunday theme was One-Hit Wonders, where an artist or a group had a song that reached the top without any follow-up successes. That theme was suggested by Amy (aka E.M. Kingston). This week’s theme is songs that were turned down by recording artists that went on to become big hits, or what I like to call missed opportunities.

Jim suggests that you try to find a song that fits the theme and then write your post about that song. Share your music with others and post a video, post the song’s lyrics, try do some research, and let everyone know something about the song that you post. Tell everyone why you like the song, whether it was a hit, or what you think the song is about.

Once you’ve written you post, create a pingback, or you can just place your link in the comments section. Try to take some time to read the posts of other bloggers who respond to this music challenge, and even better, read as many of them as you are able to as you will probably find many enjoyable songs and it is quite possibly that you will learn a thing or two. Let’s all listen to our favorite songs and explore some new music.

Jim encourages us to:
• Try to use the prompt words or at least conform to a general theme, as you see it. If the song you select does not meet the criteria, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please include the name(s) of the songwriter(s), as it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due. It would also be a good idea to give credit to the singer and the band associated with your song.
• Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be, but please try not to include too many videos as that just makes it take longer to look at all of the other posts.
• Link to the YouTube video, or you can pull it into your post, so others can listen to the song.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.

The upcoming Song Lyric Sunday challenges will be:

July 17, 2022 – Songs that hit the top of the charts
July 24, 2022 – Feature a song by a group or an artist that surprisingly never reached #1 on the charts – This idea was taken from UK #1s blog, The UK Number Ones Blog
July 31, 2022 – Illness, Injury, Scars suggested by Angie of King Ben’s Grandma
August 7, 2022 – Pets, Names, Memories suggested by Di of pensitivity101

23 thoughts on “Substitute Music Teacher #2

1. Clive July 10, 2022 / 2:48 am

Thanks for doing another great job in hosting SLS for us 👍

2. Marleen July 10, 2022 / 6:03 am

Spoken, “beatnik” style “All I wanna do” — Sheryl Crow (1995 performance)

This isn’t the way the song was recorded to become a hit. But I like this video for a few reasons. First of all, she does it in a compelling manner. Second, the lyrics were adapted from a 1987 book of poetry by Wyn Cooper after Sheryl wrote a song and didn’t like the lyrics (“I Still Love You”) along with it that she had written for it. The name of the poem, based on a conversation between two male friends in a bar, was “Fun.” Other people credited are songwriters: Kevin Gilbert / Bill Bottrell / Kevin M. Gilbert / David Francis Baerwald.

In a 1994 interview, Cooper said: “The poem isn’t really about [my friend, Bill Ripley]. Or me. They’re different people. They’re people you can sort of see as … well … objective correlatives. Symbols of people like us, or what we could have been, or what we would have become if we continued to drink and do nothing with our lives.”[7][8] [Wikipedia]

The hit has been considered country pop, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Kacey Musgraves, someone I do see as a country singer and like to hear on the radio or when she pops up on television (in a world where I don’t usually like country music), was influenced by Sheryl’s “relaxed, rootsy, and lyrically intimate breed of rock and roll.”*

The opening spoken line [spoken in the main musical version on her first album, 1993], “This ain’t no disco”, is a reference to the song “Life During Wartime” by Talking Heads.[12] [Wikipedia]

Hit it
    This ain’t no disco
    It ain’t no country club either
    This is LA
    “All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die”
    Says the man next to me out of nowhere
    It’s apropos of nothing, he says his name is William
    I’m sure he’s Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy
    And he’s plain ugly to me
    And I wonder if he’s ever had a day of fun in his whole life
    We are drinking beer at noon on Tuesday
    In a bar that faces a giant car wash
    The good people of the world
    Are washing their cars on their lunch break
    Hosing and scrubbing as best they can in skirts in suits
    They drive their shiny Datsuns and Buicks
    Back to the phone company, the record store too
    Well, they’re nothing like Billy and me
    ‘Cause all I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling I’m not the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling I’m not the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard
    I like a good beer buzz early in the mornin’
    And Billy likes to peel the labels from his bottles of Bud
    He shreds them on the bar
    Then he lights every match in an oversized pack
    Letting each one burn down to his thick fingers
    Before blowing and cursing them out
    He’s watching the bottles of Bud as they spin on the floor
    And a happy couple enters the bar
    Dangerously close to one another
    The bartender looks up from his want ads
    But all I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling I’m not the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling I’m not the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard
    Otherwise the bar is ours
    The day and the night and the car wash too
    The matches and the Buds and the clean and dirty cars
    The sun and the moon
    But all I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling I’m not the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling I’m not the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    I got a feeling, the party has just begun
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    I won’t tell you that you’re the only one
    All I wanna do is have some fun
    Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard
    Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard

• Marleen July 10, 2022 / 11:06 am

Excerpt

Sheryl is not really an aggressive corrective. That work is done only subtly, as part of an intimate piece of a biography told from beginning to end, with major milestones in between: how Crow left home and a career as a teacher to pursue a dream of rock-and-roll success, her time on the road as a backup singer for Michael Jackson, her challenges once she began to transition from youthful newbie to mid-career slowdowns to “legacy” act at only 60 years old.

• Marleen July 10, 2022 / 6:08 am

Try putting these together: h ttps:// youtu. be/ and 3
      N
      XtZ
      hycuM

• Fandango July 10, 2022 / 10:16 pm

An interesting interpretation.

3. willowdot21 July 10, 2022 / 6:46 am

Good choice but not my style…I love to learn but no one can like everything 💜

4. Carol anne August 16, 2022 / 9:26 am