Maggie, at From Cave Walls, and Lauren, at LSS Attitude of Gratitude, alternate hosting Throwback Thursday. The idea of the prompt is for them to give us a topic and for us to write a post in which we share our own memories or experiences about the given topic. This week, Maggie asks us about our nighttime rituals growing up.
Every time I do one of these Throwback Thursday posts, I am reminded about how little I actually remember about my early life. Oh well, let’s see if this throwback jogs some memories from deep within my head.
Here are Maggie’s questions.
1) Did you share a room with a sibling, or did you have a room of your own?
There were times when I had to share a room with my older sister, but I mostly had my own room.
2) Did you resist going to bed or did you go willingly?
Not all that willingly. I remember having to go to bed by 9:00 and my parents would be in the living room watching TV. I specifically remember the show “Make Room for Daddy” starring Danny Thomas.
It aired at 9 pm and I thought it was so unfair that Rusty, the son in the show who was about my age, could be up after 9:00 when I was supposed to be in bed. I guess I didn’t quite understand the concept of pre-recorded shows at the time.
3) Did someone put you to bed, tuck you in, or read you a bedtime story?
Not that I remember. I was told to wash my face, brush my teeth, get into bed, and go to sleep.
4) Was there a religious component, like prayers, to your nighttime routine?
Not that I recall.
5) Did you go to sleep immediately, or lie awake?
Sometimes I would go to sleep immediately, sometime I would lie awake for a while before falling asleep. I guess it depended upon how tired I was.
6) Did you journal, read a book, talk on the phone or with your siblings, or watch television when you were supposed to be sleeping?
No to journaling, occasional to reading, no to talking on the phone or with a sibling. As to TV, I would sneak onto the landing overlooking the living room and watch “Make Room for Daddy.”
7) Did you ever sleepwalk?
At one point, when I was sharing a room with my sister, she claimed I was sleepwalking. She asked me what I was doing and she said I told her I was going to join the army. She told me to go back to bed, and apparently I did. That was, I think, the only time I sleepwalked.
8) Did you remember having dreams? If you dreamed, did you ever have bad dreams? Do you remember any dreams specifically?
I’m sure I had dreams and, no doubt, some of them were bad dreams. But I don’t specifically recall what they were. Hell, I can’t even recall my dreams from last night!
9) Were you afraid of the dark? Did you sleep with a nightlight or sneak into your sibling’s or parent’s room at night because you were afraid?
I don’t remember being afraid of the dark and I didn’t have a nightlight.
10) Did you have or attend sleepovers or slumber parties? Feel free to elaborate.
My cousin was six months younger than me and and we were very close. I’d often sleep over at his house or he at my house on weekends.