Blogging Insights — Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

For her weekly Blogging Insights prompts, Dr. Tanya provides us with a quote about blogging or writing and asks us to express our opinion about said quote.

This week’s quote is an old saying, something we’ve all heard.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

I have mixed thoughts about this old saying. On the one hand, it could be interpreted to mean that we should not dwell on evil thoughts. On the other hand, it may refer to a lack of moral responsibility on the part of people who refuse to acknowledge impropriety by looking the other way or feigning ignorance.

It seems to me that the only one of the three monkeys that makes any sense is the one depicting “speak no evil.” The other two equate to turning a blind eye to something that is legally or morally wrong.

At the risk of getting political, a perfect example of seeing, hearing, and speaking no “evil” is the conservative Republican position on critical race theory, which is a way of understanding how American racism has shaped public policy. Republicans don’t want to talk about it and don’t want teachers to discuss it with their students. In fact, they don’t want to engage in any topic that makes white people feel uncomfortable, particularly when it comes to race. Some school districts even teach that the American Civil War was not about slavery, it was about states’ rights.

Ignorance is bliss.

What you don’t know won’t hurt you.

I am not sure I have any great insights into how to relate today’s quote specifically to blogging.

18 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

1. Marilyn Armstrong March 21, 2022 / 10:09 am

I agree. This is one of the “sayings” I’ve added to “Where there’s smoke, there must be fire” (a way to convict anyone as a result of gossip), “when god closes a door, he opens a window,” (which is supposed to make you feel better, even if the drop from the window is 120 feet). All of these — and many more — are excuses for bad things that happen to us or to justify the bad things we do. I cry BULLSHIT!

• Fandango March 21, 2022 / 12:22 pm

Definitely bullshit!

2. msjadeli March 21, 2022 / 10:21 am

Fandango, so many countries have sordid parts of their past. Some seem to handle it better than others. America is built on such exploitation and institutional subjugation, I’m sure those who are currently profiting the most from it would rather we keep our mouths shut. I’m thinking of even recent times when they were/are? shooting peoples’ eyes out on Native American land when big oil decided they wanted to put a mega crude oil pipeline through it. Evil is ALIVE AND WELL in U.S. I think about what’s happening in Ukraine right now. Is it any worse than what we have done and are doing in Afghanistan, Iraq, et. al? Silence is being complicit. MLK Jr. (paraphrase) “Those who passively accept an unjust system become an active participant in its evil.”

• Fandango March 21, 2022 / 12:27 pm

I cannot disagree with anything you wrote here.

3. Gr8BigFun March 21, 2022 / 10:31 am

I agree, ignorance is never bliss and the monkey seem to suggest otherwise. It does however give the illusion of a blissful outcome. If you continue to follow the path of least resistance eventually the walls get too high to scale and the divide almost insurmountable. It is better to face our societal challenges head on instead of waiting until we find ourselves at the tipping point we are at now.

• Gr8BigFun March 21, 2022 / 10:32 am

Eff, the ever in the first line was supposed to say never. WP comments need to have an edit feature!

• Fandango March 21, 2022 / 12:43 pm

I actually caught it and corrected it, which is something the recipient of the comment can do. That was the ONE feature I liked on Blogger. You could preview and edit your comment before submitting it.

• Gr8BigFun March 21, 2022 / 1:29 pm

Interesting that the recipient can edit but there is no way for the author to do so. Thanks for being my editor! Lol

• Fandango March 21, 2022 / 12:32 pm

I agree. And we seem to be tipping the wrong way.

4. Paula Light March 21, 2022 / 10:31 am

I agree with you, but I framed my answer solely in terms of social media interaction…

5. JT Twissel March 21, 2022 / 12:08 pm

You can interpret what you see based on what you hear but you should think carefully before you speak it.

6. Lou Carreras March 21, 2022 / 12:09 pm

I’ve never met an impoverished politician. One way or another they do well, while maybe doing good. That means that they fall under “Lou’s Law of commercial motivations” – they are only saying it or doing it if they are getting paid for it.
    As a result, I feel certain that the politicians and media flacks who are busy saying absurdities are only doing so because they profit from it. If profits fall off they’ll find something else to prattle on about.
    Unfortunately, their constituents fall into the category of marching morons- the type that used to burn people for witchcraft, buy cheap patent medicine, and believe in flat earth…oh they still do.

• Fandango March 21, 2022 / 12:58 pm

Yes, they’re lemmings.

7. Terri March 25, 2022 / 5:11 am

“So when I see the “Three Wise Monkeys,” I think it is promoting the notion of being deaf, dumb, and blind to the harsh realities of life and the world around us. I think of an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. Or of two other old saying that I don’t agree with and believe both to be negative.
    Ignorance is bliss. What you don’t know won’t hurt you.”

Yes, right.

Ignorance of lies and deceptions (=most mainstream news and establishment decrees) is bliss because exposing yourself to that is self-propagandization.

Ignorance of truths is not, or only temporarily or rarely, bliss because it is ultimately self-defeating.

The FALSE mantra of “ignorance is bliss”, promoted in the latter sense, is a product of a fake sick culture that has indoctrinated its “dumbed down” (therefore TRULY ignorant, therefore easy to control) people with many such manipulative slogans. You can find the proof that ignorance is never bliss (only superficial fake bliss), and how you get to buy into this lie (and other self-defeating lies), in the article “The 2 Married Pink Elephants In The Historical Room –The Holocaustal Covid-19 Coronavirus Madness: A Sociological Perspective & Historical Assessment Of The Covid “Phenomenon”” … to w w w d o t CovidTruthBeKnown d o t c o m

“Blissful” believers in “ignorance is bliss” — blissfully stupid people — are nearly always self-destructive indifferent ignoramuses and/or members of herd stupidity…

“2 weeks to flatten the curve has turned into…3 shots to feed your family!” — Unknown

“If ‘ignorance is bliss’ –there should be more happy people.” — Unknown