Share Your World — 04/25/2022

Today Melanie presents us with her Earth Month edition of Share Your World.

In your opinion, how are we affecting our planet?

Our 4.5 billion year old planet was doing just fine until a few hundred thousand years ago when “modern” Homo sapiens emerged from the muck. And even then, our planet was okay until the Industrial Revolution started screwing things up a few hundred years ago. Now we are rapidly on our way to destroying our home — and our only — planet.

What solutions would you offer to stem the multiple problems we face vis-a-vis the destruction of our planet home?

I’m not an environmental scientist, so I’m not one to propose any far-reaching solutions to save the planet. For what it’s worth, which is not much, I recycle, compost, drive an electric car, and support legislation aimed at keeping our air and waters as clean and pollution free as possible. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s much that I, an individual, can do.

Do you think it’s already too late and we could just do exactly as we’re doing now and things would turn out the very same?

I don’t know. I hope it’s not too late, but all I can do is quote Albert Einstein when he said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Do you participate in things like “Arbor Day” (a U.S. Holiday dedicated to planting new trees) or Earth Day or Earth Month? Is any of it important in the ‘Big Picture’?

No, not actively, but I have planted ten new trees in my backyard since moving into this house just over two years ago.

What can you personally do to participate in the “Clean Earth” movement?

Support and vote for candidates who believe in enacting and enforcing legislation aimed at cleaning up our environment and stemming the tide of climate change.

10 thoughts on “Share Your World — 04/25/2022

• Fandango April 25, 2022 / 11:05 am

I’ve given up on ridding them from my yard.

1. Marilyn Armstrong April 25, 2022 / 9:09 am

We were messing up the earth when we were still using flints heads on our spears. HUMANS killed off the mastodons AND we created the Sahara, exactly the same way we created the dust bowl thousands of years later. We are not fast learners.

I’m not optimistic about our “forward progress” in dealing with Earth. I do think if everyone did a little something, all those little something’s might add up to something bigger, but even that may be overly optimistic. I just figure that if we all stop looking at it as impossibly huge and so whatever we can do — including such basics as NOT littering, cleaning up local woods and parks, feeding the wild things to the extent we can manage it, it will all count. AND voting down legislation that encourages developers to clear cut woods to build crappy houses that won’t even generate long term money for towns and villages.

It’s incredibly stupid. We destroy something that will never be replaced for a single small payment, then plant teeny weeny trees and say “we have reforested.” No we haven’t. The creatures who lived in those woods can’t wait 75 years for the trees to regrow, assuming they CAN regrow.

2. Sadje April 25, 2022 / 9:20 am

Very sensible answers

3. Melanie B Cee April 25, 2022 / 12:25 pm

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! Great answers, and as Sadje said, very sensible. There is really very little that the individual can do about the world problems it is true. But this generation (we’re the Boomers) has something that (in my opinion of course, no judgement meant) the next ones down the line from us don’t. We have the brain capacity and common sense to think up viable ideas. Getting anyone to listen to them is another problem of course. It’s disturbing but it’s also doubtful that we’ll see the ultimate, inevitable climax to what we’re doing right now. For the future generations though, and those who have future generations coming along behind them, it could be very depressing to think about. I hope you have a fabulous week! 🙂

• Fandango April 25, 2022 / 2:42 pm

Thanks, Melanie. I hope you have a great week, too. How are you feeling? Better, I hope.

4. Lauren April 25, 2022 / 9:55 pm

I agree with your answers. I am at a loss as to what to do with my gopher problem too.

Comments are closed.