Truthful Tuesday — The Assassination of JFK

Di, of Pensitivity101, is our host for Truthful Tuesday. Di points out that on this day in 1963, John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States, was assassinated in Dallas, Texas, while riding in a presidential motorcade through Dealey Plaza. Her question to us is:

Can you remember what you were doing or where you were when this happened?

Yes, my memory of that day is clear as a bell. I was a junior in high school at the time. It was on a Friday at around 1:30 in the afternoon, Eastern Time, when I heard the announcement from the principal over the PA system that the president had been shot.

I was in the gym, along with maybe half a dozen other students, decorating it for a Thanksgiving dance scheduled for that night.

I was standing near the top of a ladder hanging some Thanksgiving-appropriate decorations from the scaffolding along the gym’s ceiling. I was stunned when I heard the announcement. My spotter, the guy who was holding the ladder steady for me, had a large grin on his face and said, “Wicked.”

With tears in my eyes, I scampered down the ladder and, even though he was a friend of mine and could probably beat the snot out of me if he set his mind to it, I punched him in the face. He didn’t hit me back.

All that could be heard throughout the school, once it was confirmed that the president was dead, were the sounds of students and teacher crying and sniffling.

We had to wait around for the buses to take us home, but no one said a word and the silence was eerie. Our world, the world of high school students — and of all Americans — changed forever 59 years ago today.

12 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — The Assassination of JFK

1. newepicauthor November 22, 2022 / 8:18 am

It was stunning and then all the Jack Ruby shooting Oswald mystery that happened after that was just unbelievable.

2. Marleen November 22, 2022 / 11:56 am

Good for you, punching that guy. I mean… obviously, it would be illegal and blah, blah, blah. But he possibly learned something worthwhile. Who knows? Our world changed in that tragedy, I would also say. I sometimes wonder where we went wrong, why we can’t seem to right the ship. That’s as good an answer as many, a better explanation than some. Just horrible.

3. donmatthewspoetry November 22, 2022 / 4:46 pm

You have gone through a lot and would no doubt still be bearing the scars.

Yes, it changed the world 59 years ago. I searched for and used a pic of that tragic day in a recent post of mine.

Unfortunately no assassin has yet come forward Fan. I offered top dollar too. Maybe they don’t like Aussies. Maybe I have to hint at the target?……..Guess depends on the target as to the asking price.

Gosh, why am I so flippant? The Australian way? I’m trying to brighten up my Covid blues…..groan

4. Marilyn Armstrong November 22, 2022 / 9:11 pm

I was 16 and a freshman in college. I was in the cafeteria when they turned the new on using the loudspeakers. I had a cup of tea in my hand. I stood there with the tea, unmoving, until they announced he was dead. Then, a friend and I wandered around the campus until, finally, we took our buses home. For the next few days everyone watched the funeral and walked around in a daze. It felt completely unreal. Little did we know of just HOW unreal the world was going to become.

5. Taswegian1957 November 23, 2022 / 12:13 am

I wonder what would be the reaction of people today if the President was assassinated? Would people be just as shocked and grief stricken or is everyone more jaded and wouldn’t react as much. Would more people react like Fandango’s schoolmate, although maybe that kid was just so shocked he didn’t know how to react.

• Fandango November 23, 2022 / 8:55 am

That’s a good question. It tears at the fabric of the nation when something like that happens, although I wouldn’t have shed a single tear had Trump been assassinated while in office.

6. Ruth November 23, 2022 / 3:13 am

When JFK was shot I was tucked up warm and safe in my mother’s womb, making a hurried, dramatic, three-weeks-early entrance to the world a mere 10 days later 🙂