Fandango’s Provocative Question #149

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I read a blurb in the latest issue of The Week magazine. It said that, according to CNBC, Americans, on average, plan to spend $1,004 on holiday gifts this year, up 13% from last year and the highest total since 2018.

And that got me thinking about, once all is said and done this holiday season, the amount I will have spent on gifts this year. Let’s just say it will be above average. So here’s my provocative question this week.

For this year, do you think you will end up spending more or less than the average amount of $1,004 on holiday gifts?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

26 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #149

1. Taswegian1957 December 22, 2021 / 3:16 am

A lot less than that. I buy for very few people now. A couple of friends with whom I always exchange gifts and my sister. Oh and of course each pet gets a present, there will be more pet presents under the tree than people presents this year. However, as their gifts cost on average about $5 per pet for six pets they won’t break the bank. When I could afford it I used to send family members interstate a couple of bottles of wine for Christmas or make a charitable donation on their behalf.

• ruddjr December 22, 2021 / 6:44 am

I’m the same. I bought gifts for a couple of cousins who helped me a lot this year and I do a gift exchange with friend. Budget is $50 for family and no more than $25 for friend.

2. donmatthewspoetry December 22, 2021 / 3:27 am

Not gonna spend a penny
    On holidays this year
    Covid’s said I no-can-do
    Just stay at home drink beer

Jeez Fan…tough times ahead…..

So definitely < $1004….

3. bushboy December 22, 2021 / 3:36 am

Even with a conversion rate I would be spending less than $A200

4. Sadje December 22, 2021 / 3:52 am

Since we don’t celebrate Christmas, we only spend money when we are celebrating the holidays, like food, movie tickets etc. considerably less than $ 1004/-

5. Paula Light December 22, 2021 / 5:58 am

Probably around half that, counting everything even remotely related. I have a small family and basically spend the most on the grands. Friends generally don’t exchange gifts ~ we get together for potluck and games. Merry happies! 🥳

• Fandango December 22, 2021 / 2:02 pm

Seems you’re not alone, Marla.

• Marlapaige December 22, 2021 / 2:26 pm

I didn’t think I was. What I think is strange is that ANYONE has $1000+ to spend on gifts for one day… geez.

6. rugby843 December 22, 2021 / 8:44 am

Much much less. I’m moving and have to be conservative. Of course as a grandmother I want to give something but hate online shopping. I miss getting out into the holiday fray☺️

Sent from my iPhone

7. Marleen December 22, 2021 / 5:47 pm

I did quite a bit of shopping I hadn’t planned on that served to make me happy when I could’ve been very sad and anxiety-ridden early in November (as my mom loses any sense she ever might’ve had but didn’t have much of despite creating a certain picture of things). I did a little more shopping after Thanksgiving, but NOT on Black Friday or the traditional holiday itself, the day before (as I’ve seen some people do). I forgot about my “views” on Thanksgiving, because I was so eager to be with other people and meet a soon-to-be new (extended technically more to one of my sons) family member. But I wouldn’t enjoy Black Friday shopping no matter what I think of that November day before (or its colonial history if we try to tell fools’ gold stories).* And… I’m not going to answer the question. I admit it. But I will say I didn’t lose my head.

* They might still call it Black Friday at stores through the whole weekend and next week or at least Monday, following Thanksgiving Day. But I don’t see it that way.

• Marilyn Armstrong December 23, 2021 / 3:54 pm

We bought a lot of stuff — clothing especially — before Christmas and didn’t save it because Owen needed a coat and socks and Garry needed jeans that fit and I needed sweater and a couple of pairs of jeans that won’t fall off. But all of it was bought in early November, so it was for Christmas, but it didn’t wait for Christmas.

Also, if you add in EVERYTHING — including food and drink and trees and lights et al — it comes out to a fair bit of money. What gets counted makes a really BIG difference.

8. Nope, Not Pam December 22, 2021 / 11:33 pm

$420 That’s it

9. Marilyn Armstrong December 23, 2021 / 12:31 am

I think collectively — me, Garry, and Owen — probably spent MAYBE half of that — and over a stretch. Not in one big purchase. But the gifts we get for each other all year round are Christmas gifts too — just — not necessarily AT Christmas. Tomorrow, I’ll write more. Today was all about wrapping and shopping and dinner planning et al.

10. Marilyn Armstrong December 23, 2021 / 3:51 pm

So, right after midnight, post is up. I asked the question whether the amount is JUST for gifts or for everything including food, drinks, lights, trees, decoration, wrapping paper, etc. We spent more on food than on gifts this year.