Getting It In Gear

I just returned from my first ebike ride. I admit that I felt a little shaky riding a bike — any kind of bike — for the first time in years. I will definitely need to get in some more riding practice time before I’m ready to share the road with cars on heavily trafficked roads. So for now, my neighborhood streets and a few local bike trails will have to suffice.

That said, it was a lot of fun. My bike has eight gears (speeds), five levels of pedal assist on the Pedal Assist System, and a throttle to keep the bike moving without peddling. I primarily used the higher gears and kept the bike at PAS level 3 most of the time. At one point on a straight stretch of level road in our neighborhood, I hit around 25 MPH without breaking a sweat. I was also able to ride up the rather steep hill leading to our house using pedal assist with relative ease, something I couldn’t manage to do on my regular, non-electric bike.

It was fun, but riding an ebike is definitely gonna take some getting used to. My wife didn’t go with me because she’s feeling a bit under the weather. Hopefully, once she’s feeling up to it, she’ll join me cruisin’ on our ebikes.

By the way, in case you were wondering, that’s not me on the bike in the photo above, but the guy is riding a bike just like mine. Photo credit: Jim Wilson/The New York Times.

28 thoughts on “Getting It In Gear

1. newepicauthor December 18, 2021 / 4:27 pm

Cool looking bike. Is your wife’s bike exactly like yours?

2. cagedunn December 18, 2021 / 4:37 pm

Of course that’s you, we’d recognise you anywhere!

• Fandango December 18, 2021 / 10:54 pm

Surely! 😏

3. Sadje December 18, 2021 / 5:57 pm

I think it’s wonderful, enjoy.

4. msjadeli December 18, 2021 / 6:42 pm

Congratulations on your first ride. Just take it easy, ok. Hills, especially going down steep hills, can be a little tricky.

5. bushboy December 18, 2021 / 8:55 pm

I noticed you didn’t mention brakes. Carbon fibre? Or once the lever is pulled, the callipers pull the 2 rubbers that squeeze on the wheel. A back pedal brake?

• Fandango December 18, 2021 / 10:59 pm

Tektro Dual Piston Hydraulic Brakes w/ Electric Cut-Off Sensor front and rear.

6. Marilyn Armstrong December 18, 2021 / 9:24 pm

Congratulations. I could never trust myself to maintain my balance anymore. My problem isn’t even a bicycler or a trike. I need something that can go off pavement because that’s how I take pictures. Except none of the parks allow motorized vehicles in the parks. So in the end, there really isn’t anywhere to go except to town for groceries, which isn’t awfully exciting. Maybe if we get rich by next summer. Hah.

• Fandango December 18, 2021 / 11:02 pm

The parks around here, including Golden Gate Park, allow electric bikes on the roads and trails.

7. KL Caley December 18, 2021 / 11:06 pm

Oh this is such a joyful post. My husband is a big biking fan and I have a normal mountain bike but struggle sometimes so would love an ebike, just hoping they come down in price a little. 🤞. KL ❤

• Fandango December 18, 2021 / 11:15 pm

I’m sure they’ll become more affordable eventually.

8. Nope, Not Pam December 19, 2021 / 1:35 am

I’m glad you enjoyed your ride. Bike riding is very liberating 🙂

9. aguycalledbloke December 19, 2021 / 2:18 am

Wheelie good!!

A good ride, a good mount, or is it a good mount, a great ride. Nothing beats a great saddle experience!! I mean what’s not to love about this?

Chains, whips,rubber, leather and pumps too! I think the best thing is something l read many years ago …. With practice you can ride for hours without getting off!

Ergo, a great stamina improver 🙂

• Fandango December 19, 2021 / 6:38 am

So are we talking about the same thing, Rory, or are into riding something different? 🤣

• aguycalledbloke December 19, 2021 / 7:04 am

Erm, let me see, Gold Finger, Aphrodire’s Bite and Riding a Bike? That’s a good question, is a pattern emerging Fandango?

10. donmatthewspoetry December 19, 2021 / 4:17 am

Jeez, it sounds pretty technical Fan

eg for brake it is ‘Tektro Dual Piston Hydraulic Brakes w/ Electric Cut-Off Sensor front and rear’.. I’m blinded

Ditty for when you both go out

Cruisin’ on our ebikes
    In the Fornie sun
    On and off the Tektros
    Pedal home when dun

Till next sunny day……

Guess you gotta hose it down, grease the sprockets…..

And charge it, don’t forget this whatever…..

11. Eugi December 19, 2021 / 6:37 am

What a cool bike and what a fun thing for you and your wife to do together.

12. Carol anne January 31, 2022 / 12:51 pm