WDP — Social Media

How do you use social media?

The short answer to this question is that I don’t use social media at all.

Despite the image I selected to use at the top of this post, I’m not anti-social media. Well not really. Hey, if you’re into social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, or TikTok, that’s fine. Whatever floats your boat. Me, though, I am not active on any of those social media sites.

My wife has a Twitter account and she almost always gets angry when she reads the tweets. Who needs that? My kids have Facebook and Instagram accounts where they post a lot of photos, but they also send those same photos to us via email because they know we aren’t on those social media sites anymore.

Some might argue that WordPress is a social media site, but I disagree. It does have a social aspect to it via the exchange of comments. But it’s primarily a blog hosting site that allows us to express ourselves through our posts. The community aspect of WordPress is icing on the cake.

15 thoughts on “WDP — Social Media

1. Pepper April 23, 2023 / 12:29 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. I gave up on social media a long time ago.

2. Carol anne April 23, 2023 / 1:55 pm

I use some of the sites, like facebook, and instagram!

3. Lou Carreras April 23, 2023 / 2:17 pm

I have FB, but uses it only rarely for the closed groups for merchant marine, ships, and such that relate to my trade; so it’s more of a business related thing. there are numerous closed professional groups that are very useful. Most people use it for general chatter which is pretty petty. The social media I absolutely despise is Linked In – so full of drivel.

4. Marleen April 23, 2023 / 2:42 pm

I decided, from the beginning, that I never wanted a Facebook account. I knew they’d be culling personal information. As for Linked In, I set up an account but could never make sense of how they told a person you had a contact with somone from out of the blue. I also don’t think of it as “social media” — because the aspect that I found intuitive is only putting names up connected to other names with brief info upfront. I might’ve missed something. I don’t care about any of the other stuff… Twitter, instagram, TikTok… smaller and smaller brain waves (with the exception of Twitter adding more characters per post but making less sense in terms of varifications) with more and more chances of being hacked or otherwise led astray. On the other hand, “the kids” (not mine) are at TikTok — and we want them to vote for better things. Therefore, savvy candidates will be there. Yet, I won’t.

5. Sadje April 23, 2023 / 5:26 pm

I agree that WP is not a social media platform. It’s a literary platform where we do get to interact with other people via comments.

6. Cathy Cade April 24, 2023 / 1:55 am

I never got the hang of Twitter. Why spend time and effort thinking up bon mots that will disappear in seconds? I certainly don’t feel inclined to visit it several times a day to keep up with it.

7. Prof.Trends April 28, 2023 / 3:06 am

It has its marketing purposes for me. That’s it . Since I started using more platforms my ROI on my effort and time has increased more than I thought possible. It’s about using the free exposure in the right way. So many people use social channels and don’t get results and give up. They didn’t have the right plan . In my opinion

• sysjordan May 3, 2023 / 6:28 am

Same here. I didn’t have a Facebook account until 2 years ago when I decided to use it for “free” marketing. It’s so hard to get distracted though. I have to take steps not to do so.

8. leigha66 May 3, 2023 / 9:43 pm

I do Facebook and have reconnected with many friends from my past, but not so much the other sites.

Comments are closed.