TMP — Activities of Daily Living

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off.

Okay, maybe I should be grateful that, after having fallen off of a ladder and fracturing my hip, I can still do these things at all. No, check that, I am very grateful that I can still do these things at all. It could have been worse. But that doesn’t mean I can’t grouse about it, does it?

What am I talking about? I’m talking about activities of daily living. Things that those of us who are able-bodied take completely for granted. Things like hopping out of bed in the morning and jumping into bed at night. Like getting dressed and undressed. Like going to the bathroom, taking a shower, grooming. Like walking.

Yes, I can still do these things, but not without a bit of a struggle. Most of these activities take me anywhere from five to ten times longer than they did in the before days (before I broke my hip). Getting dressed is an ordeal. I have to use tools, like a grabber, a hook, a device to put socks on. I have to use a leg lifter to get my leg up on the bed at night.

Sure, I could ask my wife to help me out, but my occupational therapists says it’s important that I learn how to use these aids and do it by myself.

And even sitting down or getting up from a chair takes concentration. I’ve got a 50% weight bearing limitation on my left leg, so I need to focus on what I’m doing so that I don’t inadvertently put too much weight on that leg. Even walking using a walker requires concentration so that I don’t take a misstep.

And then there are the half a dozen or so home exercises the physical therapist has me doing: three sets of 10 repetitions for each exercise three times each day. It’s all so fucking exhausting!

Okay, I’m done with this peeve.

35 thoughts on “TMP — Activities of Daily Living

• Fandango January 30, 2023 / 7:57 pm

I’d never heard of that before, but it does the job.

1. msjadeli January 30, 2023 / 5:58 pm

Please tell me you have your energetic dog staying somewhere else. I cringe to think of the dog around you in this vulnerable stage of your healing.

• Fandango January 30, 2023 / 7:59 pm

My wife always has her on the leash and under her control when I’m ambling around…me and my walker.

• msjadeli January 31, 2023 / 8:58 am

You just made me think of that Harry Nilsson song. Just substitute Arrow for walker:

• Fandango January 31, 2023 / 9:09 am

Love “The Point” and this is a great song. Except unlike Arrow, I’m hoping I can get rid of my walker by the end of next month!

• msjadeli January 31, 2023 / 11:09 am

Nilsson made a lot of magical music and “The Point” is pretty dang fabulous. Fantastic, the plan is in place.

2. Paula Light January 30, 2023 / 6:10 pm

Welp. I can’t jump out of bed because my back gets stiff in the night and until I move around a bit and take a hot shower, I’m hobbling around in pain. But still it could be worse! 💕

3. Marlapaige January 30, 2023 / 6:54 pm

But soon, you will not realize it is taking you 10 minutes longer to do all of it, because it’s not. You’re as fast as the flash and twice cute!

• Marlapaige January 31, 2023 / 4:20 am

You got this. My mom had to do those rehab classes. It was never because of an acute injury like yours as she had difficulty moving all of the time. She never actually purchased any of the aides, which must have been the only thing on the planet she hadn’t purchased.

Before she had to do the physical therapies, she couldn’t do any of it, but after her physical therapy, she could do all of the stuff like putting on her socks and whatnot. And she could do it fast as lightening. So, right now, it’s irritating. In a month, you will forget it took this long.

• Marlapaige January 31, 2023 / 10:19 am

Don’t worry whether I’m write or wrong. Just do what you’re doing and then be surprised

4. jai January 30, 2023 / 7:15 pm

Every morning, I wake feeling like I’ve been beat all over. It takes pain killers and a couple of cups of coffee to get my body going, but like you, I know things could be worse. At least, after an hour or so, the pain and stiffness eases.

5. rugby843 January 30, 2023 / 8:01 pm

It’s ok. You’ve got a right to peeve out😂

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

6. Marilyn Armstrong January 30, 2023 / 9:21 pm

If you can get up from the john by yourself, you’re doing FINE. Trust me, having to ask you spouse to get you off the potty is really demoralizing.

• Fandango January 30, 2023 / 9:45 pm

I had my son install a toilet seat riser (3 1/2 inches) with grab handles on both sides. So I can back my walker to the toilet, reach back, grab the seat handles and sit down to take care of my business. Then reverse the process to get up by myself. Not elegant, but it does the job with no third-party involvement.

• Marleen January 30, 2023 / 10:13 pm

Did the hospital people tell you about such a thing?

• Fandango January 30, 2023 / 11:05 pm

I actually found it on Amazon.

• Marleen January 30, 2023 / 11:36 pm

😏 What words did you search, there?

• Fandango January 31, 2023 / 8:18 am

I don’t remember the exact search words, but here’s what I ended up getting:

Carex 3.5 Inch Raised Toilet Seat with Arms – For Elongated Toilets, Elevated Toilet Riser with Removable Padded Handles, Easy On and Off, Support 250 lbs, White https://a.co/d/8y03Zfj

• Marilyn Armstrong January 31, 2023 / 8:33 am

You probably only want a couple of inches, just so you don’t have to push up from a low seat when you legs aren’t ready. You can’t dump it later when you don’t need it anymore. Don’t spend money for an expensive one. The difference in price doesn’t reflect an actual difference in quality.

• Fandango January 31, 2023 / 8:46 am

It cost $52. I thought it was well with it.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 31, 2023 / 1:35 pm

I spent a lot on the first one I got, but I needed the arms. The one I got later was just a raised seat and it was half the price. Of course, what was half the price 7 years ago is probably just about what you paid now.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 1, 2023 / 4:24 pm

Sounds like a winner. After the heart thing, I didn’t have any kind of strength to work with. At least your upper body is still functioning. Not a small thing.

7. Sadje January 30, 2023 / 10:11 pm

Flashback to my foot surgery in June. It is hard to rely on others for daily chores.

8. Marleen January 30, 2023 / 10:20 pm

My peeve, this Monday, might offend some people. It comes from years knowing a particular Aquarius or two (no offense to anyone else). An apparent Facebook posting, read aloud, said we’re officially in Aquarius territory… along with some supposed tendencies or enjoyments. I won’t tell you what I said, but I grumbled. Anybody who IS an Aquarian, do tell me so I can feel better about the grouping.

• Marleen January 30, 2023 / 11:46 pm

My dad was Aquarius, so… there’s always the possibility of exceptions or better examples… or of the whole system being meaningless.

9. Nope, Not Pam January 31, 2023 / 2:04 am

Trying to put my shoes on when I had my fractured knee was a nightmare. I never knew anything could hurt that bad. It was lucky hubby was asleep, my language was quite vile

• Fandango January 31, 2023 / 8:29 am

I can image. I have “hands-free” sneakers that you can just slip your feet into. I have no trouble with my right foot, but I do have to use a very long shoe horn to get my left foot in it.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 31, 2023 / 8:35 am

I bought Garry one of those long shoe horns and he’s very happy with it. Not having to bend all the way over to get his shoes on is a relief — and he is in GREAT shape for an 80 year old guy.

• Fandango January 31, 2023 / 8:52 am

Yes, it comes in handy.

10. leigha66 February 1, 2023 / 11:28 pm

Ah, the tools of the trade. I remember taking dad to a “class” before his hip replacement where they talked about them all. You however did not get the benefit of a before the hip replacement class.

• Fandango February 2, 2023 / 8:44 am

No, mine was a total surprise…and not a happy one.

Comments are closed.