Truthful Tuesday — Fireworks

Di, of Pensitivity101, is our host for Truthful Tuesday. This week, Di asks us:

Do you think the sale of fireworks should be restricted?

I used to enjoy going to the fireworks displays that many towns, cities, and major metropolises put on, especially for the Fourth of July (Independence Day) celebrations in the U.S. But nowadays it seems that places will find any excuse for shooting off fireworks. So it’s not so special to me anymore.

And for those of us who are dog owners and whose dogs totally freak out at the sounds of exploding fireworks, we dread — or at least I dreaded — fireworks. Our previous dog was one such dog, and watching her shake and shiver and try to hide in a bathtub when the fireworks were going on was heartbreaking.

Fortunately, our new dog doesn’t seem to be fazed by the sound of exploding fireworks. She hears them, cocks her head, but doesn’t seem to be bothered by or scared of them.

Now, as to Dis question, I have mixed feelings. I don’t think the sale for professional fireworks displays should be forbidden. But I do think that fireworks to individuals who irresponsibly set them off at all hours in residential neighborhood should be limited. Especially in areas like mine that have suffered through severe drought situations and where wayward sparks could (and have) set off some major wildfires.

I’m all about freedom, and that’s the argument people will toss out if there are restrictions imposed on individuals who want to buy and set off their own fireworks. But that freedom has to be weighed against the potential damage that the irresponsible handling of those fireworks might cause.

15 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Fireworks

1. Paula Light January 3, 2023 / 7:17 am

Agree 100%. It’s no longer special when every idiot can shoot them off in his backyard. Besides direct injury, the wildfire risk is serious, and it’s not incidental that some people and animals are traumatized by them. BUT MUH FREEDUMB!

2. pensitivity101 January 3, 2023 / 8:32 am

Good answer Fandango. I’m all for professional displays (my nephew is qualified) but for them to be going off for no apparent reason, and way into the early hours, is unfair and selfish. Agree with you about dogs too, Both Barney and Maggie were nervous wrecks, Thankfully, like your new pup, Maya wasn’t too bothered, just angry!! Thanks for joining in.

• Fandango January 3, 2023 / 2:13 pm

I just realized that when I duplicated last week’s post, I failed to update the title. Ugh, that’s what happens when you get no sleep due to back muscle spasms.

3. Lou Carreras January 3, 2023 / 10:02 am

Our neighborhood corporately rejoiced when a family on the street moved. No more random fireworks at midnight whenever they’d had a bit too much to drink. Personal freedom is one thing, and plain idiocy another.

• Fandango January 3, 2023 / 8:13 pm

“Personal freedom is one thing, and plain idiocy another.” Well said, Lou.

4. Carol anne January 3, 2023 / 11:22 am

I agree. I think they shouldnt be sold to just anyone, professionals yes, but not ordinary everyday people!

5. donmatthewspoetry January 3, 2023 / 1:44 pm

Here fireworks for professional displays are allowed but sales to the general public have been banned for many years. Risk of bushfires, effect on animals etc etc the reason……

• Fandango January 3, 2023 / 10:06 pm

I wish they’d do the same thing here.

• donmatthewspoetry January 4, 2023 / 12:10 am

It’s been illegal here for as long as I can remember. I think the starting of bushfires prompted it. Gosh, I can remember as a kid on 5th Nov. we’d all get together at a neighbour’s place for an all join in and share whiz bang night. Also remember putting penny bombs in letterboxes. Great fun. Kaboom. Throw them on Miss Grouch’s roof then run and hide to watch her come out. Great fun. Kaboom…….

6. Taswegian1957 January 3, 2023 / 2:29 pm

I agree with you. People can be irresponsible with fireworks. I think that they can be bought here with a permit but they are not readily available over the counter. I enjoy professional fireworks displays especially at New Year but people letting them off indiscriminately in their back yards no.

• Fandango January 3, 2023 / 10:08 pm

Unfortunately, they are readily available here, and even though they are banned where I live, people still get them and shoot them off. 😡

7. Lolsy's Library January 4, 2023 / 2:32 am

Brilliant answer, we have the same problems in Australia. If people could behave themselves, but they keep proving again and again that they cannot.

Comments are closed.