Friday Faithfuls — New To Me

For this week’s Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Friday Faithfuls, Jim Adams has asked us about the latest disease making the rounds, Respiratory Syncytial Virus, or RSV.

Jim asks these questions:

How long you have been aware of RSV? I first heard about this disease this past October when my one-year-old granddaughter was diagnosed as having RSV. Then, in early November, my local newspaper had a headline about this winter’s “triple threat” of the flu, COVID, and RSV.

Did you or any one you know get RSV? Yes, as mentioned above, our granddaughter.

Do you think that life expectancy will continue to decline, or do you feel that better health care and hygiene, healthier lifestyles, diet, and improved medical care will reverse the trend? I am afraid that, between climate change being unabated and new and mutating diseases on the loose, the life expectancy trend will likely continue to decline.

If a scary new pathogen is lurking right around the corner and there’s not much you can do to stop it, do you want to know about it? I certainly think it’s important to know about these threats to our health and welfare. I’m willing to potentially isolate myself if that is the only way to stay safe.

Do you feel that anti-vaxxers are responsible for the reemergence of infections that were once well-contained? You’re damn right I do. What a bunch of selfish, ignorant jerks they all are. My son-in-law refused to get the latest COVID booster shot because it made him temporarily lose his equilibrium, he claimed. Oh boo hoo! He just tested positive for COVID, thus putting my daughter and the rest of us at risk.

What are your thoughts on antibiotic-resistant bacteria that have developed the ability to defeat the drugs that were designed to kill them? Unfortunately, I think these viruses and bacteria will continue to evolve and mutate in order to survive and thrive. Thus, medical science will continually be playing catch-up and these viruses and bacteria will continue to cause havoc on humanity.

Sorry for my relatively pessimistic outlook, but that’s the way I feel.

23 thoughts on “Friday Faithfuls — New To Me

1. newepicauthor December 23, 2022 / 10:54 am

It is a gloomy outlook and I totally agree with you about the anti-vaxxers. I hope that your granddaughter recovered and that you and your family have a wonderful holiday season Fandango.

• Fandango December 23, 2022 / 11:16 am

Thanks, Jim. Merry Christmas to you, too.

• newepicauthor December 23, 2022 / 11:19 am

Thanks Fandango and I will be home for Christmas in person and in my dreams.

2. Marleen December 23, 2022 / 1:01 pm

RSV is NOT new at all and has nothing to do with not being vaccinated (and there is no vaccine to refuse). There are additional pre-existing diseases that have gained virulence while people haven’t been out and about over 2020 and 2021 to keep up their natural immunity and that hit kids hard before this autumn. (I shared news about at least one of them in comments under covid-19 subject matter.)

Different vaccines are different. Each child needs to have their own parent(s) and doctor(s) to consider their own health specifics, yet most children — along with the general public and immune-compromised persons by way of usual result for the population — are better off if they have the traditional vaccines. The newer mRNA technology is a different kind of thing, too unknown in effect and side-effect terms to be adamant about… especially for children and young people (as opposed to the elderly and, most particularly, elderly in group homes or hospitals).

As for vaccines before mRNA, it’s a mixed bag. Truly. I’ve shared some of the following (which is not going to be comprehensive) before, and I’m thinking haven’t shared some. When I took my oldest child to his first pediatric visit (that I remember), I discussed giving him a different (older maybe) polio vaccine from what was the usual at that time. You can bet a billion that the doctor looked at me like I had three heads. I knew that polio can be spread (or even contracted in the vaccinee) from the version they were ubiquitously dispensing at that time, therefore wanted the injected type rather than the oral for my son. The horror!!! Turns out, I was right (in part because I read more than headlines and more, still, than magazine or newspaper articles), and that the oral vaccine (living virus) was THE thing keeping infectious polio in circulation in the United States (because of the cheaper and easier form… noted now continuing in whichever other countries who haven’t switched to injected, differently-formulated, form). The doctors who aren’t the type to be followers (most doctors are followers) had been discussing and pushing for DECADES to get the national policy to change; success in that regard was, if I recall said detail exactly, 2002. Two-fucking-thousand-two.

I read, recently, that “the” vaccine for uterine cancer has changed. Mind you, the original is even relatively new and not something I would call traditional as in an established canon. Meanwhile, studies have found that people who had the original with one or two (I forget how many then included) strains and then also the newer with many strains are predisposed to continue mostly fighting off the strains that were involved in their first vaccination, and not as much against the strains that were added in later. (I didn’t agree to the original for my son when it was brand new and offered when he was like twelve. I had questioned whether I made a mistake until I read that.)

All of my sons and my oldest son’s wife have been boosted for Covid-19 over and over (except that my son in NZ was only boosted once). These in the U.S. also all have had covid-19 more than once, some more than twice. So tell me how my not being boosted (and having it twice) is worse. I got it the second time from the person I live with (my ex-husband/spouse) who.. wait for it… was boosted. Hmmm. My own experience is my health is worse after having been vaccinated (actually from the second dose*). And I haven’t gotten anyone sick. Plus, my first experience with the infection (when I wasn’t vaccinated) went without misery in March of 2020.

Now… if some dumbass (vaccinated or not vaccinated) doesn’t communicate about being infected or EXPOSED, that’s a whole other matter of indifference toward others. I hope everyone has caught on by now that the vaccination does not stop infection or transmission (nor does the carrier [infection] not being observably sick stop the spread no matter whether or not the person infected was vaccinated). The only damn thing we might still believe about it like a faith is that it mostly keeps older people from dying of it. (Perhaps if and only if you’ve been boosted in the last month or two, you have a chance of having reduced your likelihood of getting symptomatic too [again, not being symptomatic is not the same as not being infectious]. Perhaps reduced for symptoms. So… if you’re among the faithful and fearful, get boosted no less often than every two months. Good luck with that… really no.)

* My second shot was my third exposure or encounter with spike. My son in NZ never had the infection, so his third encounter was with his first booster. He had an extreme outcome with that like I did with my second shot (original series). He had to deal with that, even staying home from work, for over a month. Conceivably because he’s younger and a very healthy person [as I always was while I have to admit to being older] he has recovered, but he won’t be receiving another booster.

By the way, when was covid-19 “well-contained?”

• Marleen December 23, 2022 / 1:22 pm

The first three covid-19 vaccines (J&J and the two mRNA products, Moderna and pfizer-BioNTech) in the United States are spike protein related. And I will tell you, while the CDC is so unethical as not to be clear when I checked in August and September, J&J has not been approved. [Another — later released — vaccine in the United States is different from all of those, and not only in dosage strength.]

• Marleen December 23, 2022 / 8:25 pm

This is what everybody I know personally, and I, had (all adults twenty-four years of age or older) but before August, 2021 (which has me shining a flashlight of inspection upon myself for not calling it a day after one shot only since I’m not a doh-doh head and knew I’d already acquired at least some natural immunity when I easily beat the virus arriving here). Reminder: emergency authorization is not approval and makes you the lab mouse’s cousin [while the fact the VAERS contact info wasn’t included in vaccine awareness literature makes us… a lab rat’s mutated second cousin maybe]

On August 23, 2021, FDA announced the first approval of a COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine has been known as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, and the approved vaccine is marketed as Comirnaty, for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 12 years of age and older. {This is only not Orwellian speech if what is meant by Covid-19 is symptoms from the virus, while a statistical possible reduction in symptoms especially for a month after the boost kicks in is technically something they have been able to get trial runners to show. But claiming to end spread of the virus is irresponsible.}

Comirnaty is a monovalent COVID-19 vaccine that is approved for use as a two-dose primary series for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 12 years of age and older. It is also authorized for emergency use to provide a third primary series dose to individuals 12 years of age and older with certain kinds of immunocompromise.

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is a monovalent COVID-19 vaccine that is authorized for emergency use to prevent COVID-19 as:
        The first two doses of the three-dose primary series for children 6 months through 4 years of age.
        A two-dose primary series for individuals 5 years of age and older.
        A third primary series dose for individuals 5 years of age and older who have been determined to have certain kinds of immunocompromise.

• Marleen December 23, 2022 / 10:55 pm

Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. The official names are:

Disease

(COVID-19)

Virus

severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
          (SARS-CoV-2)

Why do the virus and the disease have different names?

Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, but not the name of the virus that causes it.

There are different processes, and purposes, for naming viruses and diseases.

Viruses are named based on their genetic structure … Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).

… Human disease preparedness and response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on 11 February 2020. This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003. While related, the two viruses are different.

~

• Marleen December 25, 2022 / 9:28 am

I hadn’t seen this until today. We have a messed up medical/pharmacological bureaucracy to do this… worse in California, where free speech is curbed. Ironically, the Democrat in Pennsylvania won in a race for Representative after his opponent in a debate said his own view or desire was for politicians to be making medical decisions for women (on abortion) — colloquially called “being in the room between the doctor and the patient.” The governor of California is in the room, though.

[Damn] CDC Votes to Add [non-aproved] Covid
          Vaccines to Childhood Immunization Schedule

• Marleen December 25, 2022 / 9:34 am

For Immediate Release: Thursday, October 20, 2022
            Contact: Media Relations
            (404) 639-3286

Today, CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended updates to the 2023 childhood and adult immunization schedules, which includes incorporating additional information for approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccines. CDC only makes recommendations for use of vaccines, while school-entry vaccination requirements are determined by state or local jurisdictions.

….

It’s important to note that there are no changes in COVID-19 vaccine policy, and today’s action simply helps streamline clinical guidance for healthcare providers by including all currently licensed, authorized and routinely recommended vaccines in one document.

The updated schedules and program guidance will be published in early 2023.

~

• Marleen December 25, 2022 / 9:49 am

HELP PROTECT AGAINST COVID-19 AND SEVERE ILLNESS TOO

The vaccine may not protect everyone.
            [^Freaking understatement of the century]

{Severe illness is jargon for hospitalization. When I read and read and read on official websites, the symptom descriptions were the same for severe and not severe, but it was called severe if you were in a hospital.}

FDA-Approved Vaccination Schedule

The FDA-approved interval between the first and second dose has not changed and is as follows:
            COMIRNATY® (COVID-19 Vaccine, mRNA) is FDA approved in people 12 years of age and older to be administered as a 2-dose primary series given 3 weeks apart

Select CDC Considerations for Intervals for mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Primary Series

The CDC updated its COVID-19 Vaccine Interim COVID-19 Immunization Schedule for healthcare professionals to include consideration of an extended interval, up to 8 weeks, between the first and second doses of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine primary series schedule for people who are not moderately or severely immunocompromised. This applies to some people ages 12 years and older—especially males 12 to 39 years of age—as they may have a small but elevated risk of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) associated with mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. The CDC states that increasing the interval between the first and second dose of the vaccine may help reduce this risk, while also increasing vaccine effectiveness.

The CDC continues to recommend a 3-week interval between the first and second dose of the vaccine for people who are moderately or severely immunocompromised and adults ages 65 years and older
            Your healthcare or vaccination provider will help you decide the timing of the second primary series dose that is right for you.

• Marleen January 11, 2023 / 10:51 am

Pre-print: Effectiveness of the … (COVID-19) Bivalent Vaccine

The presenter in this video says he didn’t learn anything from this study, but that is because he already knew vaccines don’t eliminate infection (regardless that most people aren’t aware of that fact). The study reported the bivalent as 30% effective — and there could only be lowered reported efficacy if more people went to be tested (thus potentially encountering more positives for infection even if without symptoms). He additionally was not impressed with this study because it claimed that the vaccines ruin (or at least hamper) one’s immune system. (He disagrees with that but does acknowledge that there are people who have been vaccine injured, some who have recovered and some who have not. He adds, too, that there have been other poorly-designed or disingenuous “studies” or reports after studies that falsely claimed people are more harmed by infection than by vaccines in terms of certain complications.) He shows some visuals from this study to which he is reacting and a visual from one other study, and he references only verbally another study or few studies (hoping his regulars will remember what he’s talking about).

• Marleen January 12, 2023 / 12:51 am

Jan. 11th, 2023: FDA did not share
              booster data, 400% price increase… More

• Marleen January 17, 2023 / 10:49 am

(Not So Shocking) Link between
              vaccine and stroke: CDC Admits …

• Marleen January 17, 2023 / 11:59 am

This video has an ad at approx. 5:45, for a little over a minute (in contrast with the Kim Iversen video [just before above] with an ad at the end of her video); in this one, there’s plenty of content after the minute ad.

As the WHO shares a [propaganda] video stating online “anti-vaccine activism” is deadlier than “global terrorism”, how do we know what’s misinformation when SCIENTISTS are saying the information/data just isn’t being made available?

• Marleen December 28, 2022 / 2:28 pm

China, strangely, has a low
          vaccination rate in their elderly

Covid-19: China’s BF.7 [short for BA5.2.1.7
          sub-lineage of omicron variant BA.5] Surge

• Marleen December 23, 2022 / 2:10 pm

I meant cervical cancer: A malignant tumor of the lower most part of the uterus (womb) that can be prevented by PAP smear screening and a HPV vaccine.

• Marleen December 23, 2022 / 2:19 pm

And, no, I don’t have a trans or intersex son; the HPV vaccine is given to both boys and girls (and insurance usually doesn’t cover it in adulthood).

• Marleen December 24, 2022 / 1:16 am

Cindy, Steph, Brianne, and Vincent review some of their favorite immunology papers of 2022.

3. Marleen December 23, 2022 / 7:06 pm

The “heroic dose” of psychedelics,
    according to Johns Hopkins …

• Fandango December 23, 2022 / 10:19 pm

Interesting.

4. Nope, Not Pam December 24, 2022 / 1:32 am

Immunised and have Covid. I’m ok, hubby is very very ill

Comments are closed.