WDP — Wild Animals

Do you ever see wild animals?

My wife and I live in a suburb of San Francisco on the East Bay, and we see a lot of animals around our home and neighborhood. Are they “wild animals” like lions and tigers and bears, oh my? Well, they’re not domesticated, that’s for sure. They live in the wild in and around our area and they roam free and forage for food.

These animals include deer, like the one in the picture above taken in our backyard. We also have seen coyotes, raccoons, and even tarantula spiders on our property. But it’s the moles and gophers who bother me the most because they eat our plants and destroy our lawns. And trying to rid our yard of them is like playing real-life whack-a-mole.

Supposedly there are bobcats and mountain lions in the hills around our neighborhood, but I’ve yet to come across any.

Written for today’s WordPress Daily Prompt. I thought I’d give this new WordPress prompt, which started to appear on the Home screen on the iOS app maybe a few weeks ago, a try. The prompt questions seem somewhat unimaginative, but so is my response to today’s prompt. Sorry about that.

32 thoughts on “WDP — Wild Animals

1. gregshe11 December 8, 2022 / 8:55 am

0h! Dear me. He took a pic of a buck. Or is I jane doe? Lest we ask the author of this image. One picture is worth a 1000 questions. Start asking.

• Fandango December 8, 2022 / 9:29 am

My wife actually took that photo one morning in our backyard.

• Fandango December 8, 2022 / 9:28 am

Probably, but I haven’t personally run into any.

• newepicauthor December 8, 2022 / 9:31 am

They like to hide under rocks, and I see you have plenty of them.

• Fandango December 8, 2022 / 10:43 am

Yes, lots of boulders, which is where our lizards hide.

2. Michael B. Fishman December 8, 2022 / 10:10 am

Unimaginative or not, I don’t know, but you have me imaging your back yard. That’s a very nice view!

3. pensitivity101 December 8, 2022 / 10:39 am

Nice pic of the deer Fandango. I’m getting the WP prompts too now. Maybe when I’ve run out of ideas………… We’ve had deer, foxes and badgers running own the road, ducks and geese settling on the front lawn, and a kestrel and sparrowhawk hovering…… but not all at once!

4. slmret December 8, 2022 / 11:39 am

How wonderful to see a buck like him in your back yard!

5. bushboy December 8, 2022 / 12:36 pm

I do enjoy your backyard photos Fandango. Your wife took a fab photo. I would love to see a Bobcat 🙂

6. Nope, Not Pam December 8, 2022 / 1:08 pm

I’ve seen a lot of animals on this holiday, but most of the wild ones have been road kill

7. Marleen December 8, 2022 / 8:34 pm

Truly fabulous capture of a moment with great framing.

• Fandango December 8, 2022 / 10:15 pm

I’ll pass on your appreciation to my wife, who took the picture.

• Marleen December 9, 2022 / 12:46 am

Very good, thank you.

• Fandango December 9, 2022 / 6:56 am

I need more information about YOU, Greg. Who are you? You’re leaving a lot of comments, some of which are rather weird. Are you a blogger? A spammer? A troll? Until I hear from you, I’m going to move all of your comments to my Pending folder. And if I don’t hear back from you, I’m going to delete all of your comments and block you.

8. jilldennison December 8, 2022 / 9:52 pm

I see wild animals every day!!! Five of them! Their names are Oliver, Pandi (short for Pandora as in Pandora’s Box), Tiger (claws are always out), Boo (short for Booker T Washington), and Izzy … our five cats! And make no mistake … they ARE wild!

9. Rethabile-Marah Prudence Mphahlele December 15, 2022 / 1:22 am

I bet there is Peace there🤍with more sounds of birds at dawn and kinds of animals 🤗I can imagine your location 💯

10. feral cats videos January 6, 2023 / 7:58 am

Deer are beautiful and harmless. I would hate to run into a mountain lion, though, although I’m sure they’re beautiful, too.

I live in an urban area, and have never seen deer where I live. But there is a huge number of feral cats, three of them living in my apartment as my pets. And there is the occasional turtle or hedgehog. I’ve seen jackals in a park and sadly, one dead fox on the road.

Mice and rats are very rare because of the feral cats. A week ago, one of my cats had brought home a dead mouse. She must’ve killed it outside before dragging it and dumping it in the middle of my living room. She was in a frenzy, swatting at it like crazy and mewing so hard, she sounded like a small dog barking.

11. leigha66 January 7, 2023 / 8:13 pm

I was shocked early last year when I saw a fox wander down the street, but mainly it is just raccoons, squirrels and rabbits – nothing exciting.

Comments are closed.