MLMM Friday Faithfuls — Multiple Prompts

Jim Adams posed an interesting question in his Friday Faithfuls prompt. He wrote about multiple prompts and offered his thoughts about combining multiple prompt words into a single post. His bottom line was expressed when he wrote:

The whole purpose of a writing prompt is to inspire bloggers to write and be original and resourceful, and using their imagination and I feel that a well written story should not bounce around being driven just to satisfy the prompts. I feel it would it be better if your story made gradual progress rather pushing it through all the prompts and losing consistency in the process.

With that said, Jim wants to know…

If you write posts where you respond to multiple prompts, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I host a daily word prompt, FOWC with Fandango, and there are six other daily word prompts that I often participate in:

• Word of the Day Challenge
  • Ragtag Daily Prompt
  • Your Daily Word Prompt
  • The Daily Spur
  • E.M.’s Random Word Prompt
  • My Vivid Blog

I don’t respond to these one word prompts every day, but I probably do more often than not. And when I do, I attempt to include all seven words in my response if I can. But sometimes one or more of these one-word prompters gives us an unusual word that I would never in a million years use in everyday life. And when that happens I refuse to jump through hoops trying to fit such words into my posts.

Why do I respond to these multiple word prompts? It’s because each day I’m presented with seven randomly selected words and am challenged to come with a cohesive, engaging response that incorporates all (or most) of those words. I really enjoy that challenge. And, at the risk of sounding immodest, I think I’m pretty good at it.

However, I don’t typically do multiple word prompts such as the two that Jim mentioned: Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Wordle challenge and The Sunday Whirl. Each of these challenges uses 12 prompt words. I can only respond to so many prompts and I don’t think I can handle those 12-word challenges in addition to the other prompts I regularly respond to.

Any questions?

17 thoughts on “MLMM Friday Faithfuls — Multiple Prompts

1. newepicauthor September 23, 2022 / 2:19 pm

You are extremely good at handling multiple prompts in the same post any your stories are always cohesive and engaging. I look forward to your posts every day.

2. Lou Carreras September 23, 2022 / 3:07 pm

It’s always fun to see which way the prompts lead. I will say though that some days I see nothing in the tea leaves and don’t write a post.

• Fandango September 23, 2022 / 10:50 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. Either time is limited or the combination of words just leaves me cold.

3. Paula Light September 23, 2022 / 5:18 pm

I enjoy all your posts, except Fibbing Friday (which I don’t read from anyone) ~ you’re excellent at the multi prompt posts. I try to do the Wordle, but usually I can’t 😞

• Fandango September 23, 2022 / 10:53 pm

Thanks, Paula. And if you don’t read my Fibbing Friday posts, how do you know you wouldn’t enjoy them, too? Just asking. 😉

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 23, 2022 / 8:07 pm

I just think this isn’t writing — it’s puzzle solving. Which is fine if that’s what you’re into, but it’s not my thing.

5. Lauren September 23, 2022 / 9:22 pm

I love writing using multiple prompts. I admire yours so much that I decided to give it a go. It only works for me when the words fit together well. The second criteria is that my brain must be functioning. I take it as a good mental challenge. I’ve tried the ones with multiple words from one place and they just don’t speak to me. I do enjoy reading the works of those that do them well. Keep it up Fandango, you are a great inspiration.

6. Ruth September 24, 2022 / 1:15 am

I like the way you fit all the prompt words into one post, always so very concisely – I think it’s a fun way to fulfill the brief 🙂

7. Taswegian1957 September 24, 2022 / 4:09 am

You are very clever in the way you manage to fit all the prompt words in and have the post still tell a story.

8. Carol anne September 25, 2022 / 2:00 am

I don’t respond to the sunday wordle prompt either, or the other one that a lot of bloggers seem to take part in, because I don’t think I’d be able to use 12 words in a story lol. Xx