TMP — iOS 16.0

Every Monday, Paula Light, with her The Monday Peeve prompt, gives us an opportunity to vent or rant about something that pisses us off. My peeve today is about some strange “enhancements” Apple made to its latest upgrade to its mobile operating system.

I upgraded to iOS 16 for my iPhone a few days ago. Why? Because it has some neat features to it and I thought it would be the right thing to do. But when it came to using my iPhone for my blog, Apple made some changes that I just don’t get.

For example, if I put the cursor on a word and tap it, the first option the prior iOS version gave was “select.” That made sense, since before you do anything with a word or phrase, like cut or copy or paste it, you would select it, right? But for some strange reason, the “select” option in the updated version of iOS comes after the “paste” option. (See below).

That has screwed me up a few times when I, out of habit, hit where “select” used to be, but I ended up pasting unwanted text instead.

Another example is when I want to underline a word. Unfortunately, underline is not an option in the iOS version of the WordPress app (but strikethrough is — like you use strikethrough a lot), so I have to select the word and use Apple’s underline functionality. In the old version of iOS, when the “select” menu came up, there was a little arrow to the right and when I tapped that, I’d get an option to apply bold, italics, or underline to the selected text.

But now, there’s an extra step. I see “format” and I have to tap that in order to see the bold, italics, or underline selection. Why add that extra step? Is that supposed to be an improvement?

Finally, if I wanted to add a link to my post, I used to select the text and then click on the “link” icon. And, viola, the link was established.

But now I get this:

Of course I want to allow the paste. Why else would I have clicked on the link icon? Sheesh! I guess it’s not just WordPress that makes things more difficult with each new release.

Okay, I’m done.

20 thoughts on “TMP — iOS 16.0

1. Paula Light September 19, 2022 / 7:03 pm

I had the hardest time getting my “wallpaper” right after the upgrade. Not the most important thing, I realize, but why make it annoying?! I haven’t noticed any changes to WP yet, but I’ll look out for that formatting…

• Fandango September 19, 2022 / 10:55 pm

It’s not that bad and it helps me keep my posts relatively short! 😏

• Fandango September 19, 2022 / 11:03 pm

Maybe your experience will be better than mine, but in the scheme of things, these issues I brought up are relatively minor annoyances.

• Sadje September 20, 2022 / 12:55 am

Yes, I like how it now displays the time and date on locked screen. Have you tried Jetpack app. It mimics the WP app. Perhaps that is better?

• Fandango September 20, 2022 / 7:09 am

Yes, I did try the Jetpack app hoping it would resolve some of the issues in the WordPress iOS app. But it has the same like/comment issues as the WordPress app. For example, Sadje, I can’t leave a comment on your blog when I visit your site. It tells me I must be logged in to leave a comment, but it won’t let me log in, even though I’m visiting your site while logged into the WordPress iOS app. I can only comment on your posts in the Reader.

• Sadje September 20, 2022 / 8:05 am

That’s really weird. I don’t go through the browser as most sites ask for web address and email etc.

2. Marilyn Armstrong September 19, 2022 / 7:34 pm

Over automation and making simple things more complicated are the nemesis of the software world. I know they want to sell more products, but is this going to sell more of anything really? Glad I don’t try to do anything more than text on my phone. I even find texting a hassle.

3. Marleen September 19, 2022 / 9:38 pm

Oh, come on… they’re computer “geniuses” (🙄not) — you’re supposed to understand all this as improvements, no questions asked.

4. Astrid September 20, 2022 / 3:39 am

I don’t think these are enhancements. These are just random bugs that somehow made it into the first release of iOS 16. I haven’t noticed any of these, but then again I rarely if ever type blog posts on my iPhone. I did notice a really odd thing where somehow iOS creates duplicate versions of apps in the app switcher and only one of them is the actual app which can be activated, closed, etc. The other is just a rogue app. This seems to be specific to VoiceOver users though.

5. Nope, Not Pam September 20, 2022 / 4:04 am

I avoid updates like the plague

6. Carol anne September 20, 2022 / 5:42 am

I updated too! I didnt see any huge differences but then, I don’t blog from my phone, well occasionally I will, but not a lot. Xx

7. donmatthewspoetry September 20, 2022 / 7:10 am

Message here Fan….When you upgrade your EV make sure the upgrade comes with wheels. Important…….