11 thoughts on “The Truth About History

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 18, 2022 / 6:35 pm

History makes me grind my teeth. I have to go WAAAAY back in time to avoid wanting to hide my head and scream. If you don’t feel that way, you’re not only reading propaganda, your probably reading an autobiography (or a fan’s biography).

2. Marleen September 18, 2022 / 10:07 pm

Ain’t that the truth.

3. cagedunn September 19, 2022 / 2:25 am

No two people will see the same event from the same perspective.

4. Nope, Not Pam September 19, 2022 / 4:09 am

And it shouldn’t be erased because of it

• Marleen September 19, 2022 / 10:46 am

You might or might not have seen where I shared a story about a double drinking fountain with Confederacy symbology and insigniation that was donated on park grounds in a small North Carolina town. The doubling of the water spickets was for a “practical” purpose in the context of “separate but equal” (which could have been but wasn’t equal specifically with the drinkin-fountain-excuse-for-a-monument and wasn’t actually equal in society). I’m remembering, this morning, a lovely outdoor theater (I’ve seen it called the largest in America), in a different state — which used to have separate restrooms for Black people. Should that setup and the historical metal signs have remained to this day and beyond?

• Marleen September 19, 2022 / 10:49 am

In fact, some signs were metal and some were carved right into the structural stone or concrete.

• Nope, Not Pam September 19, 2022 / 1:17 pm

It’s the truth, do we want to start lying just to feel comfortable

• Marleen September 19, 2022 / 5:23 pm

I remember, from when I was very young, many non-segregated drinking spouts available at a school or park (a bunch in one area for many from the public at once). An idea I thought of an hour or so ago is that a fence (circular or rectangular) surrounding the old stupid thing, with a gate to go in at the back* but walk around the whole to look at it’s self-important glory with its rusted and partially-dismantled ostensibly equal Black persons’ side, could be installed as a public work with multiple sprinkler outlets as a recreational feature now almost all around or along one long side obscuring the front (that side could be a stone wall to contain the plumbing).

{My first idea was multiple drinking fountains, but these are falling out of favor; health reasons. Hence, I came up with a different concept more in keeping with modern wishes.} Yet, to undertake such a project would require considerable money. That town was worried about the cost involved [sad we’re so poor] to simply tear the old stuff out, and I doubt they wanted to spend on planning/doing something better. Meanwhile, this is how offensive eyesores like this got into the mutual environment in the first place. People with holdover capital gained from having had slaves for forced labor had excess to throw around to impose their views (via donated installations).

They were the heftiest (if not elected) voices, so to speak — and I suppose the Supreme Court concurred with their supremacy, implicitly, decades (almost a century) later when it decided money is “speech” or [aka Orwell] some equal animals are more equal than other equal animals, materially. Built in the latter 1920s, the Confederates of the “cause” were gone. But the stubborn resentment over the war loss, the continuing push-back in terms of policy and future culture, carried on with these private influencer groups. What we lie about is how stuff gets done best; we say the rich must be obeyed and receive deference (however they get their wealth). Still.

* The entry could be at the front, alternatively, if something like chicken wire were put over the metal flag of and the words lauding the traitors — so it could be seen but not with tacit honor. A placard on a post could inform viewers the chicken wire was added but that the decrepit state of one drinking fountain is a matter of history.

• Fandango September 19, 2022 / 10:26 pm

Maybe in a museum, but not for use in a public place.

5. leigha66 September 22, 2022 / 11:13 pm

I recently watched Band of Brothers and I cried so when they got to the concentration camp, so heartbreaking what they went through there.