They Pave Paradise

Is there even a glimmer of hope anymore? I think not.

People focus their attention and actions on what is convenient for them and that require little to no effort.

They chop down trees and cheer as parking lots and superhighways replace forests and brambles and celebrate what they see as progress.

They have no clashes of conscience, no conscious awareness as they drive cars their fossil fuel-powered vehicles that pollute the atmosphere on those newly constructed highways.

They fail to see the patterns. They can’t connect the dots or find anything incongruous with their actions and what is happening to our planet.

And for which they — and we — will pay the ultimate price.

Written for these daily prompts: Weekly Prompts Weekend Challenge (glimmer), My Vivid Blog (convenient), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (chop), Your Daily Word Prompt (cheer), E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (brambles), Word of the Day Challenge (clashes), Ragtag Daily Prompt (patterns), and The Daily Spur (incongruous).

26 thoughts on “They Pave Paradise

1. Carol anne September 17, 2022 / 5:19 pm

I agree Fandango!

It’s a horrible world we live in nowadays! Xx

2. Maria Michaela September 17, 2022 / 6:08 pm

I love the song but really do hate that we get more parking lots and highways than parks or forests

3. peNdantry September 18, 2022 / 12:08 am

I think that sharing this great song is a truly terrific way to highlight our current predicament (and so I unashamedly offer a link to my own use of it from over a decade back: ‘They paved paradise and put up a parking lot‘).

Given that Joni’s Big Yellow Taxi was written just at the crux point, when we entered Earth overshoot, I wonder whether she wrote it simply as a lament to the state of affairs at her time, or whether she had a sense of how dire things would become? 😢

• Fandango September 18, 2022 / 9:47 pm

Maybe both: a lament about the times and a prescient song/warning about the direction our country (and the globe) was taking.

4. SueW September 18, 2022 / 12:19 am

Unless they enjoy living in tall concrete jungles, I think most people would agree with you. Clever links woven in.

5. Lolsy's Library September 18, 2022 / 2:59 am

I tired of seeing more ghetto like areas come up. I don’t mean to offend, but that’s what they’re going to turn into too. I miss seeing HOMES being built, not these box communities.

6. Nope, Not Pam September 18, 2022 / 3:50 am

I didn’t know Joni Mitchell was the original singer of that song, I didn’t even know that was the title

7. CARAMEL September 20, 2022 / 11:31 am

I just think they should go to Mars, and leave those who love the earth to clear up the mess and restore paradise.

8. leigha66 September 22, 2022 / 3:17 pm

I have always loved this song, sad how true it has become.