Maggie, at From Cave Walls, and Lauren, at LSS Attitude of Gratitude, alternate hosting Throwback Thursday. The idea of the prompt is for them to give us a topic and for us to write a post in which we share our own memories or experiences about the given topic. This week, Maggie wants to know about our first loves and, particularly, about our first heartbreak.
Here are Maggie’s questions.
1. How old were you when you had your first heartbreak?
I was 18 (or maybe 19).
2. Who broke your heart – first names only?
Her name was Wendy. If she’s still alive, her name probably still is Wendy.
3. Do you remember how the breakup happened?
One night we were parked in my car making out and she, seemingly out of the blue, told me she was in love with someone else. I was floored.
4. Did you have a ring or token of your love? Did you return it?
No, there was no ring or any other “token” of our love.
5. Did you think this was true love?
I was a teenager, so how would I know what “true love” was? It was certainly true lust, though.
6. Did you play any sad songs to soothe the pain? If so, do you remember the name of the song?
After she dumped me, “Tracks of My Tears” by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles became my anthem for how I was feeling.
7. If you were an adolescent, were your parents sympathetic or were they of the “it’s only puppy love” school of thought?
I don’t think my parents expressed an opinion on my lost love one way or the other. Maybe they thought it was just typical case of teenage angst.
8. How long did it take you to get over it all?
Believe it or not, it still haunts me a little.
9. Do you remember this person fondly or is it someone you prefer to forget?
I remember her fondly, even though she broke my heart. Besides, I always thought that she was a little out of my league, anyway.
10. After all was said and done, was it for the best or did you remain longing for a love lost?
I’d say that it was ultimately for the best. After all, a handful of years after Wendy dumped me, I met my soulmate, Mrs. Fandango.