Throwback Thursday — Loved And Lost

Maggie, at From Cave Walls, and Lauren, at LSS Attitude of Gratitude, alternate hosting Throwback Thursday. The idea of the prompt is for them to give us a topic and for us to write a post in which we share our own memories or experiences about the given topic. This week, Maggie wants to know about our first loves and, particularly, about our first heartbreak.

Here are Maggie’s questions.

1. How old were you when you had your first heartbreak?

I was 18 (or maybe 19).

2. Who broke your heart – first names only?

Her name was Wendy. If she’s still alive, her name probably still is Wendy.

3. Do you remember how the breakup happened?

One night we were parked in my car making out and she, seemingly out of the blue, told me she was in love with someone else. I was floored.

4. Did you have a ring or token of your love? Did you return it?

No, there was no ring or any other “token” of our love.

5. Did you think this was true love?

I was a teenager, so how would I know what “true love” was? It was certainly true lust, though.

6. Did you play any sad songs to soothe the pain? If so, do you remember the name of the song?

After she dumped me, “Tracks of My Tears” by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles became my anthem for how I was feeling.

7. If you were an adolescent, were your parents sympathetic or were they of the “it’s only puppy love” school of thought?

I don’t think my parents expressed an opinion on my lost love one way or the other. Maybe they thought it was just typical case of teenage angst.

8. How long did it take you to get over it all?

Believe it or not, it still haunts me a little.

9. Do you remember this person fondly or is it someone you prefer to forget?

I remember her fondly, even though she broke my heart. Besides, I always thought that she was a little out of my league, anyway.

10. After all was said and done, was it for the best or did you remain longing for a love lost?

I’d say that it was ultimately for the best. After all, a handful of years after Wendy dumped me, I met my soulmate, Mrs. Fandango.

11 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday — Loved And Lost

1. Maggie September 15, 2022 / 9:06 am

Those first loves and first heartbreaks do seem to have a lasting effect, don’t they? Even though we realize the end was the right thing we never forget the feeling. Tracks of My Tears is a perfectly fitting breakup song, too. I am sure I cried to that one a few times myself. Congrats on meeting Mrs. Fandango soon thereafter. As always, thank you for participating.

2. The Autistic Composter September 15, 2022 / 12:22 pm

Awwwwwwwww 🙂

Is it the lost conquest that you allow to haunt you do you think? You oft wonder what that might have been like if lust had won the day?

I can relate to that more with a few girls l took out in the 90’s when courting for longer than a couple of dates was unheard of rather than lost loves.

3. donmatthewspoetry September 15, 2022 / 6:41 pm

” I always thought that she was a little out of my league, anyway.

A good way of coping and coming to terms with the situation……….

• Fandango September 15, 2022 / 10:02 pm

You gotta do what you gotta do.

• donmatthewspoetry September 16, 2022 / 2:12 am

I know it’s hard at the time but accepting you’re not in her league helps to soften the ‘pain’……

4. Lauren September 15, 2022 / 8:06 pm

Thanks for joining in Fandango. I love that you know Mrs. Fandango is your soulmate.

5. Nope, Not Pam September 16, 2022 / 3:42 am

The first heartbreak stays with you regardless of all else

6. Carol anne September 18, 2022 / 12:05 am

Things always happen for a reason, I’m a firm believer in that. After all, you met Mrs. Fandango, and are happily married for over 40 years now to her. Xx

7. leigha66 September 19, 2022 / 2:29 pm

My first serious relationship… Dave, still haunts me. Really wish I knew what happened to him. He was from a big city and I was from a small town and we just had different outlooks on life, but he was a great guy!

8. Marleen September 19, 2022 / 9:08 pm

No guy in my youth broke my heart, but my mother was meddling and manipulative (and ratcheted that up, when I thought she would naturally ratchet down and step back, as I got to my later teens). I saw there was going to be no end in sight. That mess involved breaking my heart in at least a couple major instances (and stretched out long-term as she can’t comprehend real morals despite pretending to). There are a few young men (two with actual broken hearts) who got hurt in the process. I nevertheless remained a peaceful person with high ideals and great conscientiousness without resentment… until I was about forty and “popped” (see The Matrix); I started listening to grunge and some nu metal and political rap. Lol. A precursor to that bent in tunes was seeing American Woman (from the Guess Who to Lenny Kravitz) as a movie track, of sorts, for my female parent.