Repost — A Memorable Day

I first published this post on my old blog back on September 11, 2014. I published it again last year on this blog. I didn’t really plan to post it again today, but along with the day that John F. Kennedy was assassinated and the day that Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, September 11th is a day of my life that I recall so vividly and one that I will never forget.

I was at work, at my desk, when Phil, one of my co-workers, ran into my office. “A plane just flew into one of the World Trade Center buildings in New York,” he said.

We ran together to the company cafeteria where a small group of people had already started to gather in front of the TV mounted on one of the walls. Phil and I got there just as a second plane flew into the other tower.

More and more employees came into the large room and gazed fixedly at the television screen. Some stood around the TV, some sat down at the cafeteria tables. All were mesmerized and horrified by what we were seeing and hearing.

No one was speaking. Everyone in that cafeteria was shocked into a frozen silence. The only sounds that could be heard were those coming from the TV and the sniffling coming from those watching, as most of us were crying. Even I, a typically stoic, unemotional man, was crying.

I spent a lot of time that day — and much of that week — crying. And being angry. Very angry.

It was a day that changed everything. It was, indeed, a memorable day.

Written for the Weekly Prompts Weekend Challenge, where Sue W and GC ask us to share images or tell about a memorable day.

14 thoughts on “Repost — A Memorable Day

1. Paula Light September 11, 2022 / 5:26 pm

It was definitely memorable and horrible. Those poor people trapped inside. Some jumped to their deaths. And then the first responders who still suffer from having breathed in the terrible air… 😥😥😥

• Fandango September 11, 2022 / 5:49 pm

It was a day that changed everything for a lot of people.

2. Sadje September 11, 2022 / 5:58 pm

It was an unbelievable day. Even across the world, we felt the disbelief and pain.

3. slmret September 11, 2022 / 8:02 pm

I was in Las Vegas on business — just as I was leaving my room to go to breakfast my boss called — “Oh, thank god you’re here.” Not knowing what she was concerned about, I asked, and all she said was turn on the TV.” I called my elderly mother to let her know I was ok — as I was saying it reminded me of the day JFK was shot, she interrupted me to say it reminded her of Pearl Harbor (also within my lifetime, but before I was aware). We were stuck in Las Vegas — my least favorite place in any case, for several days — all the rental cars were gone, the state lines were closed, and our trainer was stuck in Kansas City. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to Las Vegas! It was definitely a part of my decision to retire in 2004!

• Fandango September 11, 2022 / 10:19 pm

It was a shocking day, that’s for sure.

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 11, 2022 / 8:34 pm

I had just come back from Israel (it was work) and I was home because I drank the water. Apparently my body forgot the water because I was really sick. My son was working and he called and said: “Turn on the TV.”
    “What channel?”
    “Any channel.”
    I saw the first tower fall and then the second. It is not something anyone who was watching should forget.

• Fandango September 11, 2022 / 10:24 pm

It’s imprinted on all of our minds who watched it happen.

5. SueW September 11, 2022 / 11:28 pm

The world looked on in horror, including those of us in the U.K.
    Mid afternoon and nearing the end of the school day, I was switching off computers and tidying up. The children were all in their classrooms.
    The school caretaker’s wife came running in and almost dragged me to the TV in the staff room. We watched in disbelief as the second plane hit the tower both of us in crying out loud.
    A memorable day for all the wrong reasons, a day no one will ever forget.

6. Limp Cabbage and Soggy Chips September 12, 2022 / 1:15 am

It was telecast live in our evening news in India. I thought it was some kind of practical, rude joke, or maybe a movie trailer or something. And then, I realised it was news. I freaked out because I knew people in NY and DC. I tried calling them international call, but no call to anywhere in America would go through. No, I won’t forget that evening either.

7. Nope, Not Pam September 12, 2022 / 4:31 am

Still makes me cry

8. Taswegian1957 September 13, 2022 / 3:55 am

Yesterday when we were at the vet with Polly she asked us if we remembered that Sunday had been the anniversary of 9/11? I said yes and we all compared stories of where we were and what we were doing when we heard the news.
    It was night here in Australia and my husband was watching the late news when the story broke. We saw the footage of the first plane and as we watched the second one hit. We knew then that it was no accident. I think we sat up until three or four in the morning watching the tragedy unfold. That night our local high school caught fire. We saw the flames and called it in. In the early hours a policeman knocked on our door because he saw our lights on. He was trying to locate our across the road neighbour.
    It was so surreal watching all this as it happened. It was like something you’d see in a movie not something that was actually happening. I’ll never forget that night.

9. leigha66 September 15, 2022 / 10:56 pm

I think I was in shock most of that day. It hit me hard the next day, when I saw the first flag at half mast…I cried all the way to work.

10. Carol anne September 18, 2022 / 1:02 am

It was one of the saddest days in history. So many lives needlessly lost because of the actions of terrorists. Its just so tragic. Xx