TGIF — Weather and Whether

Paula Light, at Light Motifs II, is a fellow Californian and, in her TGIF prompt today, she talked about a subject that has recently dominated the conversations of most Californians: the weather. And Paula has invited us to “jabber on about your weather or whatever you feel like.”

It’s 102° where I live as I write this, marking the eighth straight day of triple-digit temperatures. But the good news is that it’s ten degrees cooler here than it was yesterday. The better news is that it’s forecast to be about 20° cooler tomorrow than today. In fact, the ten day forecast calls for high temperatures mostly in the 70s. Yay!

Okay, no more talk about the weather. Instead, let’s talk about the whether. Specifically whether or not I should upgrade to the new iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I received an email today from Apple inviting me to pre-order the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Apple even offered me a $500 credit if I trade in my two-year-old 12 Pro Max. Woo hoo! Trouble is, my iPhone 12 Pro Max is working fine. So why should I upgrade?

According to Apple, there are eight reasons why:

Well, the “amazing all day battery life” sounds good, since my current iPhone’s battery starts to crap out by early evening. But I’m not sure the other seven reasons are compelling enough to motivate me to upgrade.

So I think I’m going to hold off until next year when the iPhone 15 is launched. Whether I need it or not.

Happy TGIF, everyone.

12 thoughts on “TGIF — Weather and Whether

1. Paula Light September 9, 2022 / 2:12 pm

That phone looks cool! But yeah… my 12 is working fine, so I’ll hold onto the cash for now…

2. Marilyn Armstrong September 9, 2022 / 3:54 pm

I got the same invitation. I think we’ll just stay with the one we’ve got. My next spending binge is going to have to be (1) the dying tree behind the deck and (2) my teeth — like replacing a few of the missing ones.

3. donmatthewspoetry September 9, 2022 / 5:24 pm

Don’t listen to them. It’s all spin……

Having said that, a magical connection on Dynamic Island might be worth a look-in…….

4. Sadje September 9, 2022 / 6:07 pm

I think the only reason to change the phone is the battery life. A survey says that more than 50% people never use the advanced features of new tech.

5. leigha66 September 10, 2022 / 12:08 am

The battery wearing out too fast is usually when I choose to upgrade…it is usually a better deal of some sort than buying a new battery.

6. Nope, Not Pam September 10, 2022 / 4:01 am

The only time I replace my phone is when I break the current one.

7. Marleen September 10, 2022 / 2:24 pm

I’m sticking with what I have. I think it’s an eight (a hand-me-down that doesn’t require me to use my face or fingerprint).

The “dark purple” is headed here: actually deemed deep purple. Maybe because blackberry sounds too much like something else.

I could’ve upgraded to a newer hand-me-down — a sort of army green. Nah, I’m good. Mine’s rose gold on the edges, and I have a fun case.

8. Carol anne September 18, 2022 / 1:42 am

I bet your happy it got cooler! I think you are doing the right thing in holding off. You can still update to IOS 16 and make use of all the great new features!