Now I’m the Bad Guy

I read two items in today’s newspapers claiming that those who own or promote electric vehicles are the bad guys.

One guy, on a letter to the editor, wrote “Funny how the more affluent (i.e., electric car owners), whose lifestyle produces more environmental damage, feel the need to tell the less affluent how to live.”

And another article pointed out how conservative pundits and politicians are blaming electric vehicles, which make up less that 2% of all vehicles on the road in California, for causing the electric system to fail, resulting in rolling blackouts.

One conservative pundit tweeted, “California outlaws gasoline powered vehicles, then announces that, in order to avoid brown-outs, residents should refrain from charging their electric vehicles.”

First, that outlawing of the sale of new gasoline-powered cars in the state is slated for 2035, so it has nothing to do with electric cars overtaxing the power grid during this historic heat wave. Second, the recommendation is that owners if EVs refrain from charging their vehicles during peak hours between 4 pm and 9 pm.

Most electric vehicle owners, me included, wait until midnight to charge their cars because that’s when electricity is cheapest. Duh!

In fact, data from the state’s Energy Commission supports that point: demand for electric vehicle charging is greatest at around midnight, when EVs account for about 2% of the state’s power load. The notion that electric vehicles are straining the power grid is absurd because there just aren’t enough of them to have that significant of an impact.

Totalitarianism and Supply and Demand

Last week, Fox News ultra conservative host Tucker Carlson dedicated a nearly 17-minute segment to California’s policy banning the sale of new gas-powered vehicle as of 2035 and to the state’s strained power grid. He called electric cars “a new way to overburden California’s already collapsing energy grid.” He suggested that a more sinister plot is behind the state’s policy. “The instinct behind all of this is totalitarian, which is to say, total control over you,” Carlson said.

This is where the old economic law about supply and demand comes into play. As the demand for EVs increases, it will result in the supply of charging stations throughout the state expanding significantly, as well as the investment in innovative ways to meet the increased demand for electricity to grow.

California plans to triple the state’s electrical grid capacity by 2035, when the mandate takes full effect, which will require the state to add about 6 gigawatts of new renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind farms, and storage facilities.

Over the next three years, California utilities already plan to add 8 gigawatts in renewable and storage capacity.

The truth is that those of us who have bought EVs and who encourage others to consider doing so are not the bad guys. And since there must always be bad guys, it’s those who continue to close their eyes and minds to the potentially devastating issue of unbridled climate change and who enable and support the fossil fuel industry in its efforts to stop the migration to cleaner, renewable energy resources.

25 thoughts on “Now I’m the Bad Guy

1. newepicauthor September 8, 2022 / 10:12 am

Many people are remaining loyal to the oil industry, just like the assholes that remain loyal to Trump, owning as many guns as possible and being against any type of abortion and you are not the bad guy.

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 5:21 pm

To those loyal to the oil industry, loyal to Trump, owning as many guns as possible, and being against any type of abortion, I am, indeed, the bad guy.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 8, 2022 / 8:31 pm

Not believing electric cars are THE solution is not the same as supporting oil conglomerates anymore than Californians are supporting oil when they use power generated by gas or oil. You ain’t doing it with wind of solar because we can’t even make a major dent in tiny little Massachusetts and they are cutting down the woods like mad to put up solar collectors here — and hey, who needs woods? Just you know, birds and other creatures with whom we share this planet and who needs them anyway, right?

The world and climate change and earth’s ecology is just a wee bit more complicated than good guys vs. bad guys. ANYTHING powered by electricity that uses nickel dug out of some poor foreign country’s earth is NOT a solution. It is just more corporate trash talk. They lied to you your whole life and they are STILL LYING TO YOU.

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 10:02 pm

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but if I have to drive a car, I am personally happy to be driving one that is not spewing poison into the atmosphere. And I’m also happy to have never had to pull into a gas stations to fill my car’s tank at $5+ a gallon in more than a year.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 9, 2022 / 4:24 pm

You might as well enjoy it. Life hasn’t been a happy place for a while and I’m not seeing it getting a lot better soon or maybe at all. Enjoy what you can while you can.

2. Mister Bump UK September 8, 2022 / 10:17 am

It’s not inappropriate to use his own logic back at him. You pay for your electricity so what business is it of his how you use it? You’re a private individual so what does it have to do with him?

In reality, of course, it is a more complex matter, but this is exactly why we have governments – to take a more holistic view and use sticks and carrots to cajole people into doing the right thing.

3. bushboy September 8, 2022 / 3:31 pm

Charge away I say.
    Check Paragraph five “First, that outlawing of the sale of new electric cars in the state is slated for 2035, ” ???

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 4:28 pm

Thanks, Brian. That should have been gasoline-powered cars. I made the fix.

• bushboy September 8, 2022 / 4:58 pm

Happy to help Fandango 🙂

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 8, 2022 / 8:21 pm

There’s a bit of truth on both sides here. YOU can afford that car and we can’t. There is that as a starting point. It’s not a matter of choice for us and if it were, I’m not sure I’d buy it anyway. I understand they are clean but I also know how damaging the nickel mines are to the countries where the mineral is mined and how disposal of batteries is going to be a major issue.

This isn’t a solution. Even if the money issue didn’t exist, I don’t see a massive changeover to electric cars in our future unless they are giving them away free and you know that will NEVER happen. This will be a solution for those with money, another way for people who have enough to feel good about themselves while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet.

Electric cars are a band-aid covering up an infected, running sore. It’s not a solution.

People who don’t see electric cars as “the ultimate solution” are not necessarily supporting oil and coal. I’m certainly not. On the other hand? I figure we’re all pretty much screwed no matter how you look at it, so you might as well enjoy your car, your bikes, your A/C. Don’t you hope you won’t be here when it comes tumbling down?

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 9:46 pm

I know that electric cars are more expensive to buy NOW, but as manufacturers ramp up production, prices will fall. I also got signifiant tax incentives at the federal, state, and county level, which incentives reduced the cost of my car by one-quarter. Ultimately I believe that electric cars within the next decade will be no less affordable than comparable gas cars are today. But we also need to improve or make available better mass transit options so that more people can get by without having to purchase a personal vehicle.

And yes, I’m definitely counting on not being here when it all comes crashing down.

5. Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris September 8, 2022 / 8:22 pm

A friends son just bought a used Tesla …. $80,000!!! No way the average American can afford that. Fir those of us on disability, social security or retire, it’s a down-right joke!!

• Marilyn Armstrong September 8, 2022 / 8:32 pm

It’s all a lot of corporate trash talk. One way or another, they make money and we don’t. They lie, they lie, they lie.

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 9:56 pm

The tax credits for buying an EV were significant, the insurance I’m paying is no more than what I was paying for my gasoline powered car, and maintenance costs are lower. No oil changes, no cost to replace a catalytic converter that some jerk stole from the car. And no $5+ per gallon gas fill ups every week.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 8, 2022 / 10:02 pm

I didn’t say it isn’t cheaper. It IS cheaper. It’s just not the solution. But hey, life’s a total mess. Enjoy it. It’s not like I have an answer either.

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 9:52 pm

There are much more affordable electric cars than Tesla. I bought a new EV (not Tesla) for half of what your friend’s son paid for his used Tesla. And after tax incentives at the federal, state, and county level, for buying an electric car, the car cost me less than $30k. Yes, it’s not for everyone, but your friend’s son didn’t HAVE to buy a Tesla. And as manufactures gear up production of EVs, the prices will continue to drop.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 8, 2022 / 10:12 pm

Tax incentives only work if you pay taxes. If you are retired, disabled, or poor, those incentives mean nothing. That’s what I mean when I say this is a solution for the well-funded.

We drive a 2015 Jeep Renegade which is actually a rebadged 4WD Fiat 500. It was a great deal: just 3 years old with only 23,000 miles on it. We’ve barely hit 40,000 and we’ve had it for five years. I’m planning to pay it off and keep it forever. Tax incentives don’t mean much to people who pay, when all is said and done, about $800/year in total. They aren’t going to GIVE us the money. It’s a tax rebate, not a gift.

• Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris September 8, 2022 / 11:08 pm

I get all of that however, for myself, I’m living on less than $1000 a month so none of any of that is ever going to be a possibility for me and millions like me.

6. Carol anne September 18, 2022 / 1:52 am

Agreed! Just because you own an EV doesnt make you a bad guy!
    Climate change is real, and its time people sat up and took notice!