It’s Cool Inside

It’s 106° outside, but it’s once again cool inside our home thanks to this guy, Brian, my new best friend. He came out this morning to replace a blown capacitor in our A/C’s compressor.

I had to look up what a capacitor does. Turns out it provides the initial jolt of electricity your air conditioner’s motors need to run successfully. It stores electricity and sends it to your system’s motors in powerful bursts that get your unit revved up as it starts the cooling cycle. So, yeah, if the capacitor is shot, the A/C unit won’t start.

My new best friend did say that most capacitors last for around ten years, so it’s surprising that it would blow after only three years. I told him that the control board on our two year old whole house generator, which is also supposed to last at least ten years, failed after just two years.

After hearing that, my new best friend quickly finished installing the new capacitor and hurriedly left. I think he wanted to avoid getting contaminated by my back luck.

21 thoughts on “It’s Cool Inside

1. rugby843 September 7, 2022 / 3:49 pm

I hope you have a warranty on those items. Anymore it seems a few extra dollars at purchase saves a lot of headaches. Of course I never buy anything that expensive living in an apartment

Sent from my iPhone

• Marleen September 8, 2022 / 12:09 am

🤨

We bought a new (and high-end) HVAC system a few years ago, and a major coil was worthless after a couple years. Nothing was covered, but the technician thank goodness didn’t try to gouge us in the situation. Nevertheless, I would’ve been annoyed had it not been for the fact the company delivered the next step up (top) on the day they’d scheduled installation.

2. donmatthewspoetry September 7, 2022 / 5:10 pm

We all got inbuilt capacitors Fan. That’s what gives you that jolt, that kick start, to get you going.

So in like manner, if your capacitor is shot, so are you. Makes sense hey?……..

• newepicauthor September 8, 2022 / 5:36 pm

I based it on Ohm’s Law and the capacitance charging cycle. I paralleled a bunch of resistors and utilized the fact that the basic definition of capacitance is a transient response of capacitor charging and since I knew the voltage and the resistance, I was able to determine the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. Nope, Not Pam September 8, 2022 / 3:51 am

Good news, hope you stay nice and cool 😊

• Fandango September 8, 2022 / 5:01 pm

As do it. It’s 109° as I type this, but by Saturday, temps should moderate down to the mid 80s.

4. Jay September 9, 2022 / 2:26 pm

Brian is literally a cool guy. Congrats on having cool rooms in the house again! 🙂