Just When I Thought It Was Safe to Go Back In the Water

I was worried, in this excessive heat wave we’re experiencing, about a power outage. And I was worried that if there was one, our generator might not kick-in to keep our air conditioning and refrigerator/freezer going.

What I didn’t expect was for the compressor on our central air conditioning unit to shit the bed last night. When I woke up at 7:00 this morning, the thermostat showed that it was already 80° in our living room area. And, today, of all days, the high is supposed to reach 112°. It’s 108 as I am writing this and it’s only noon!

I have a friend who claims to be “knowledgeable” about electronics (whatever that means) coming over in a few minutes, but if he can’t get the thing going, it’s gonna be a long, hot day and night before a genuine HVAC repairman can come over for an “emergency” service call tomorrow afternoon.

But the good news is that it’s only going to be 104° tomorrow.

26 thoughts on “Just When I Thought It Was Safe to Go Back In the Water

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 6, 2022 / 1:18 pm

Yesterday you said you had solved your two big problems. But you see, that’s a jinx. You must NEVER say you’ve “fixed” it, whatever IT is or the always lethal: “What could possibly go wrong” OR its equally lethal “What ELSE could go wrong?” That’s why I stick with “so far, so good.” It’s as committed as I’m willing to get. Anything else will bring negative karma, like the tree limb behind the deck, crashing down.

• Fandango September 6, 2022 / 1:53 pm

You’re right. I was grateful for having “solved” my problems, never anticipating being blindsided by yet a different problem. Ugh.

2. Nancy Richy September 6, 2022 / 1:58 pm

Jeez!!! Good luck with everything and stay safe. 🥵

3. Carol anne September 6, 2022 / 2:16 pm

Man oh man! 112 degrees? Wow! You must be dying!

4. slmret September 6, 2022 / 2:18 pm

Laguna Beach lost power yesterday — 5,000 people had no power for several hours while Edison figured out the cause! And there have been outages and road closures due to fires in The Greater LA area! I keep hearing that this is an “unprecedentedheat wave — Today is Day 7, and we are in for several more days!

• Fandango September 6, 2022 / 2:59 pm

Yes, we have three more triple digit days ahead of us before the temps drop to the upper 80s this coming weekend.

5. Craig Ardolino September 6, 2022 / 3:47 pm

You know, it’s not climate change because some idiot politician threw a snowball in Congress, so that SOOOOO proves what your experiencing is in your imagination. California on the coast has always been hotter than the desert! Smh

6. Taswegian1957 September 6, 2022 / 4:11 pm

I know what that’s like. The last few years we lived in South Australia the summers were like that. Sometimes 3 weeks of temperatures of 40Celsius or more and it didn’t cool down much at night. We had no air conditioner so we went to visit relatives who did, we went to shopping malls with air-con, we sat outside to get a cool sea breeze at night. We didn’t sleep much. It was one of the main factors in us deciding to move to Tasmania and I have never regretted it as the summers there now, fifteen years later, are even worse. I hope that you get your air conditioner running again soon. In the meantime , keep the curtains closed and drink plenty of water. Or visit a friend with air con.

7. rugby843 September 6, 2022 / 4:12 pm

I think you’re keeping your sense of humor, good for you…maybe take a trip up north of you?

Sent from my iPhone

8. donmatthewspoetry September 6, 2022 / 4:42 pm

You are fortunate you don’t have to wait long for the repair person as I imagine there would be quite a demand……

9. msjadeli September 6, 2022 / 9:14 pm

Fandango, please go somewhere cool until it’s fixed. Sounds dangerous.

• msjadeli September 7, 2022 / 9:06 am

Can you stand in a cool shower to stay cool? How about maybe stay at (one of) your kids’ houses until it’s fixed??

10. grogalot September 7, 2022 / 8:35 am

My AC is working, but without it we would die. If your compressor is kaput you’ll be very lucky if there is a new unit available. Stay cool.. if you can. Oh, and good luck! GROG

• Fandango September 7, 2022 / 6:43 pm

Turned out the compressor was fine, but the capacitor that gets the compressor going was shot.

11. leigha66 September 14, 2022 / 10:46 am

Oh man, I am glad to read you got it fixed. That heat wave much of the country endured was not pretty!

Comments are closed.