Fandango’s Flashback Friday — September 2nd

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of your earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 2nd) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on September 2, 2017.

Climate Change

IMG_2584

This is not supposed to happen here. The high temperature in San Francisco yesterday was 106 degrees. That broke the old record of 103° for the city. And the previous high for San Francisco on September 1st was a mere 90° in 1952.

According to the National Weather Service, this highly unusual heat wave is supposed to continue through Labor Day. In fact, they said today may be even hotter than yesterday, possibly setting a new record high temperature for the City by the Bay.

Worst of all, like most residences in this typically cool city, my house is not air conditioned. Not even a single room air conditioner. Just a few ceiling fans. And when the temperature outside reaches 106 degrees, all ceiling fans do is circulate hot air. It’s not much cooler inside a home with no air conditioning than it is outside.

Well, hopefully this heat wave will abate in a few days and San Francisco can get back to its more typical high temperatures in the mid- to upper-sixties at this time of the year.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “continue.”

September 2, 2022 update: Here we are, five years later, and the heat is still breaking records. I no longer live in San Francisco. Where I live now, in the East Bay, which is normally hotter than San Francisco, we’re experiencing a major heat wave. It reached 101° yesterday, and today it’s supposed to “cool down” to the upper 90s. But here is the latest forecast for the next six days starting tomorrow:

Well, at least our home here on the East Bay does have central air conditioning, which should help us deal with this heat wave. Unless we have another power outage, that is.

24 thoughts on “Fandango’s Flashback Friday — September 2nd

1. donmatthewspoetry September 2, 2022 / 3:35 am

And the generator conks out…..

I imagined you flapping around naked in your rocky stream….like hippies

Pebble lawns radiate heat like you know what……

Don’t mind me. I’m sure our heatwaves will come……

• Fandango September 2, 2022 / 10:53 am

Generator repair guy due to come here to fix it today. So hopefully I won’t be flapping around naked in the event of a power outage.

2. Nope, Not Pam September 2, 2022 / 4:15 am

I can’t wait for summer. 40 C = happy me

3. Sadje September 2, 2022 / 4:22 am

And people still will say climate change is a hoax.

4. Mister Bump UK September 2, 2022 / 5:13 am

Well, here’s a thought for you. If we’re going to conquer climate change we will mostly have to live without aircon.

5. Marilyn Armstrong September 2, 2022 / 12:34 pm

The heat broke here the day before yesterday. Not necessarily long term. September can be very hot, but for now, it’s down in the 40s (!!) at night and just in the high 70s by day. Also, real rain expected next week — like three days of it! Oh thank you rain gods!

• Fandango September 2, 2022 / 3:42 pm

We’re experiencing record highs thru next week and not a hint of rain.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 2, 2022 / 3:52 pm

I worry about California. There are so MANY people out there. If the water problem doesn’t remit, we are going to be looking for new places for a lot of you to live. I don’t think we’ve ever had to relocate a huge number of people like that in this country or maybe in anywhere. That’s pretty scary however you look at it. Climate change is getting more real every time we look at a weather map.

• Fandango September 2, 2022 / 4:51 pm

Except to Republicans. It’s a hoax to them.

6. jilldennison September 2, 2022 / 6:25 pm

I like your idea of digging back into the archives to re-post some of the ‘oldies but goodies’! As for the temps in San Francisco … that’s just crazy! I lived in SF in the 1960s and recall that it NEVER actually got hot … warm, yes, but not over 100°!

• Fandango September 2, 2022 / 11:00 pm

It never used to get that hot in San Francisco. It was extremely rare for it to hit 90°. There was a quote attributed to Mark Twain, although he didn’t actually say it, but the quote was, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” 😆

• jilldennison September 2, 2022 / 11:57 pm

I know … I remember wearing a sweater even in July! Ahhhh … but remember … there is no such thing as climate change, eh? 🙄

7. Carol anne September 18, 2022 / 2:17 am

Seems you were having a bit of a heatwave back in 2017 too then! Nothing changed did it? xo