Fandango’s Provocative Question #180

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

In the decade before I retired almost six years ago, I worked from home. I only went into the office about once a month at the most. And I loved working remotely. I had several headhunters contact me about potential job opportunities, but when I found out that they were office-based, I wasn’t interested.

I retired three years before the pandemic hit and sent a significant portion of office-based workers home. But it seems now that a growing number of employers are requiring, or are planning to require, employees to return to the “brick and mortar” offices to perform their jobs.

Companies like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Apple, Google, and Twitter have or are trying to get employees back to working on-site. A May survey found that 76% of high up executives say in-person work is critical. And Elon Musk is demanding that Tesla workers return to the office full-time or quit.

This demand that employees head back to the office after nearly two years of working from home is a growing source of tension between employees and management. Some recent surveys show that millions of workers want to stay home and would likely quit their job rather than go back to a daily commute.

The most recent round of research from this month shows that among full-time wage and salary employees who are able to work remotely, more than three in ten said they wanted to do so five days per week. Only 16.8% of respondents said they would rather be in person pretty much all the time.

So my provocative question this week has to do with your thoughts on working from home versus going into the office everyday. If you’re retired, or if your job is one that can’t be done remotely, you might respond hypothetically, as in if you were not retired or if you had a job were you could potentially work remotely.

Have you ever worked from home as an alternative to going into a worksite to do your job? Would you prefer working from home or working from an office? If you have been able to work from home since the pandemic hit and are now being told that you have to return to showing up at the office everyday, how would you feel about that?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

18 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #180

1. donmatthewspoetry August 31, 2022 / 5:21 am

I’m Elon’s favourite cosmonaut
    I’m gonna work from home
    I’ve written said get stuffed Elon
    In what you’ve read (this pome)

He says I’m fired??……

2. pensitivity101 August 31, 2022 / 11:57 am

My jobs before retirement meant being in the office, which I didn’t mind. Working from home was never an option, and to be honest, if I was working now and it was, plus if I had kids, maybe working at home would suit as regards childcare when schools are closed. However, my final boss would probably rather his staff worked at home to save on HIS electricity bills in the office.

3. Marilyn Armstrong August 31, 2022 / 5:31 pm

Can YOU imagine going back to working in an office with a boss looking over your shoulder after being retired for these many years? Uh huh. Figured as much.

4. cagedunn August 31, 2022 / 5:37 pm

The good thing about working from home is the lack of people standing behind you and chatting about life, the world, and everything; the bad thing about working from home is the lack of someone to interact with.
    I liked working at the office – there’s so much you learn from the social aspects that it’s worth it’s weight in cocky poo (an Australianism meaning gold dust. Sort of).

• Fandango August 31, 2022 / 9:34 pm

I gladly sacrificed the social aspects of working at an office for the lack of people standing behind you and chatting about life, the world, and everything. No contest. 😏

5. Marilyn Armstrong August 31, 2022 / 10:17 pm

For me, it’s NOT having a micromanaging idiot boss looking over my shoulder and counting the minutes lest I go home before the official departure.

6. sprightlydaffodils September 13, 2022 / 10:37 pm

Thanks for your superb write up. The best thing the pandemic did was WFH. Travelling time saved, avoid all sorts of grapevine, and most important peace of mind working in the confines of a best ambience that is our home. Health and happiness always🌳🌻

7. Carol anne September 20, 2022 / 11:19 am

I’d prefer to be able to work from home! I’m still being careful, so not going out much, unless I absolutely have to go out! Working from home would be a lot easier than showing up in an office. Xx