And Then There’s This

I saw this on the internet and I didn’t know if this was true. Could people really be this bad at understanding fractions?

So I Googled it. Sure enough, this actually is true. Here’s the validation from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

This is yet another reason why it’s fruitless to argue with people online.

20 thoughts on “And Then There’s This

1. newepicauthor August 31, 2022 / 10:48 am

The larger the number that is in the denominator, the smaller value this number will have.

2. Marilyn Armstrong August 31, 2022 / 11:34 am

I guess they never got the lesson that size isn’t just width, it’s also depth. We have been stupid for longer than I realized.

3. JT Twissel August 31, 2022 / 12:14 pm

I was an advocate for a teenage foster child once – she wanted to go to a Chinese restaurant and once there got very agitated because she couldn’t order fried chicken and french fries. So the lack of what we consider basic common sense is horrifying.

4. Gr8BigFun August 31, 2022 / 12:56 pm

I had heard this many years ago as a study in a Marketing class I was taking. It is astounding because most people would never mix up the sizes of a quarter and a half pound. Even if you weren’t good at math, logically a third (1/4 – 1/3 – 1/2) is bigger than a quarter.

• Fandango August 31, 2022 / 5:37 pm

Well, 4 is larger than 3, which is larger than 2, right? 😂

5. Nope, Not Pam August 31, 2022 / 1:15 pm

Nah, I can see why they thought that. They equated it to being a third less.

• Nope, Not Pam September 1, 2022 / 4:59 am

No, they learn how to YouTube 🙄

6. Lou Carreras August 31, 2022 / 1:47 pm

My inner media wonk says that people don’t read , and the way to get a message across like this is through visual comparison that makes the difference clear. Good television commercials never leave the thinking up to the victim, I mean customer.

7. Taswegian1957 August 31, 2022 / 4:03 pm

It’s hard to believe so many people could be so dumb. Did the ads show a visual comparison of the two sizes?

• Fandango August 31, 2022 / 6:26 pm

The ads didn’t show side-by-side pictures, but the text says that A&W has “bigger, beefier, third pound burgers.”

8. Lolsy's Library September 1, 2022 / 5:17 am

I generally take a minute, but I get there, lol. I guess as well though, I don’t use fractions every day. So I always have to think about it for a moment. Things like that though, should be pretty easy, lol