Mothers, Daughters, and Ponies

“Mom, stop the car,” Adele shouted.

Concerned, Dorothy quickly pulled the car over to the side of the road. Before she could ask her daughter what was wrong, Adele had opened the car door, hopped out, and ran over to the fence at the edge of the field. Dorothy called out to her daughter, “Adele, what are you doing?”

“I want that,” Adele said, pointing to the ponies standing in the field.

“You want a pony?” Dorothy asked.

“Yes, I want the second one, the short, squatty one. It’s so cute and it has long blonde hair just like my Barbie,” Adele said.

“I’m sorry, honey,” Dorothy said, “but you can’t have a pony.”

“Why not?” Adele said, stomping her right foot on the ground. “I want it. I want it.”

“It belongs to someone and I’m sure it’s not for sale,” Dorothy said.

“But Dad always says that everything is for sale,” Adele said.

“That’s because your father is a salesman,” Dorothy said.

“I don’t care. I want that pony.”

“Well, sweetie, as The Rolling Stones sang, ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want.’”

“The who?”

“No, not The Who, The Rolling Stones.”

“I don’t understand what you’re talking about,” Adele said. “Can I have that pony?”

“No, you cannot.”

“I hate you!”

Mothers and daughters, Dorothy thought.

Written for Sadje’s What Do You See prompt. Photo credit: Free images on Google.

14 thoughts on “Mothers, Daughters, and Ponies

1. Marleen August 30, 2022 / 5:18 pm

🤣

Apologies to anyone who doesn’t find this funny.

I never told my mom I hated her, and none of my children (boys) ever said it to me, but I gather it’s occurrence is common and usually not meant.

One of my (grown) sons said to me, a few days ago, that he’s pretty sure he was a cowboy when he was four. But no one got him a gun or a horse.

2. Gr8BigFun August 30, 2022 / 5:40 pm

Great read Fandango. It’s not just mothers and daughters, when my six year old boy doesn’t get what he want he stomps around telling us how he hates his life and won’t love us anymore. He almost always comes back 20 or 30 minutes later and apologizes. It’s all part of learning to control one’s emotions and for the most part he does a pretty good job.

• Fandango August 30, 2022 / 6:40 pm

Thanks. I thinks it’s a universal way for kids to try to cope with disappointment.

3. donmatthewspoetry August 30, 2022 / 8:57 pm

I fume and stomp up and down when politicians don’t give me what they promised if I voted for them. ……

• Fandango August 30, 2022 / 9:46 pm

Did you ask a politician you voted for to give you a pony?

4. Sadje August 30, 2022 / 10:31 pm

Haha! Typical reaction of young people. Our 3.5 yo tells us that she isn’t our friend anymore! Thanks Fandango for joining in.

5. Nope, Not Pam August 31, 2022 / 4:05 am