Share Your World — 08/29/2022

Share Your World

Di, at Pensitivity101, continues to serve as our host for Share Your World while Melanie, at Sparks from a Combustible Mind, continues her recuperation.

1. Which of the following could you do without? TV, Computer, Mobile Phone.

I definitely could not do without my mobile phone. I can watch TV shows and movies on it, so I could get by without a TV. And there’s not that much that I do on my computer that I can’t also do on my mobile phone.

2. Do you have a lot of old photographs in a box, or did you put them in albums?

We have tons of old photos in boxes in the closet of our guest room. None are in albums. Of course, pretty much all of the photos I’ve taken over the past 15 years (at least) are digital and are stored either on my laptop’s hard drive, on my iPhone, or in the iPhone cloud (iCloud), which backs up virtually everything on my iPhone.

3. What was the first thing you bought for yourself when you started work?

I have absolutely no idea. Possibly some comic books or five baseball cards that came packaged with a piece of stale bubblegum.

4. What is the biggest thing you have bought that did not require finance?

I’d tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.

Gratitude

15 thoughts on “Share Your World — 08/29/2022

1. newepicauthor August 29, 2022 / 7:38 am

That must be a nasty job especially if those burritos erupted after eating them.

2. Carol anne August 29, 2022 / 2:32 pm

Love your answer to number 4! 😀
    Enjoyed your answers today Fandango!

3. JT Twissel August 29, 2022 / 2:54 pm

I can vividly remember the first things I bought after I started making money – a pair of shoes that didn’t come from KMart.

4. Marilyn Armstrong August 29, 2022 / 8:32 pm

I thought I had a lot of photos when I put all those boxed ones into albums — but then came digital. So between one thing and another, I have maybe 150,000 photos? Not that I can actually FIND them.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 2, 2022 / 1:15 pm

Yes, a LOT of photos and I never really organized them. I can find them by date — assuming I remember when i took them which is almost never (unless it was really recently), so many of them are lost in my OWN files, and twice as lost on WordPress who won’t let you see all you photos for a period of time anymore — they only let you see a few of them and the next time you look, you see a whole different set. I’m not sure exactly what audience that mess is designed to serve, if any. NO ONE wants to see a random subset of photos. EVER.

5. Marleen August 30, 2022 / 12:37 pm

Cleaning bathrooms was a boundary* I forwarded when a few of my sons were in their first jobs. If they had jobs where they would interact with and bring food to customers (and the job description before hiring didn’t include cleaning bathrooms even if at a nice restaurant), that was a reason to walk. I see it as an unreasonable way to cheap out, to not hire separate people to clean bathrooms.

[* Another boundary was not taking any job that involved using a deep vat of hot oil. Therefore, no applying at McDonald’s or the like.]

If I clean my own bathroom at home, I’m going to shower (for more than vain reasoning) before I interact with guests or deal with food or even wash dishes. However, a few years later, a friend with a restaurant and a gelato shop across the street from that was employing a couple of my sons at the dessert counter. That involved doing everything. (Have I just impugned my friend as being cheap for not hiring a cleaning crew? Anyway, he paid well.) All but my very youngest one are in hugely different careers from all this now. (Actually, the youngest one doesn’t work in the food industry either.)

6. Marleen August 30, 2022 / 12:45 pm

The first things I bought when I had my first job (not counting baby sitting for acquaintances or being hired at seventeen by my future mother-in-law to be her assistant mailing and filing things) was at a “health food store” or specialty foods shop — I bought specialty foods.

• Marleen August 30, 2022 / 12:53 pm

Okay; wasn’t clear: That shop is where I was working (and I got a twenty percent discount the whole time).

7. leigha66 September 5, 2022 / 11:03 pm

Pictures, I am overwhelmed with pictures. I have my photos, my parents photos, and both grandparents sets of photos. I have so many albums and boxes I need to go through and decide what to scan, keep and send to other relatives. It is a daunting task.