Who Won The Week — 08/28/22

The idea behind Who Won the Week is to give you the opportunity to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

This week’s recipient of Who Won the Week is the state of California. Why am I giving my home state this honor? Well, it’s because California is taking definitive action to do something about climate change.

Under a policy approved Thursday by regulators, the state seeks a dramatic cut in carbon emissions and an eventual end to gasoline-powered vehicles. California will require that all new cars, trucks and SUVs run on electricity or hydrogen by 2035. If the goal is reached, California would cut emissions from cars in half by 2040.

The rules mandate that 35% of the new cars sold be plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV), EVs, or hydrogen fuel cell by 2026. That proportion will rise to 68% by 2030 and 100% by 2035. Californians will be able to keep driving gas-powered vehicles and buying used ones after 2035, but no new models would be sold in the state by that year.

This move gives the most populous U.S. state the world’s most stringent regulations for transitioning to electric vehicles. It is expected to prompt other states to follow California’s lead and to accelerate the production of zero-emission vehicles by automakers.

The policy still needs federal approval, but that’s considered very likely under Democratic President Joe Biden’s administration.

Reaching the 100% goal by 2035 will mean overcoming some very practical hurdles, most notably enough reliable power and charging stations. The state now has about 80,000 stations in public places, far short of the 250,000 it wants by 2025. The Alliance for Automotive Innovation, which represents many major car makers, warned about the lack of infrastructure, access to materials needed to make batteries, and supply chain issues as being among the challenges to meeting the state’s timeline.

You may recall that in 1961, President John F. Kennedy said, “I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth.” That goal was achieved in 1969.

Surely, if we could put a man on the moon in less than nine years, we can address the concerns of the auto industry and get enough public charging stations on the road to meet the needs of an all-electric vehicle state in twelve years.

What do you think of California’s move to electric vehicles by 2035? Too ambitious? Not ambitious enough? Not practical? Reasonable?

So who (or what) do you think won the week?

If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

45 thoughts on “Who Won The Week — 08/28/22

1. Carol anne August 28, 2022 / 11:27 am

this is great! Well done california! A step in the right direction!

2. tiredhamster August 28, 2022 / 12:00 pm

I have mixed feelings. EVs are better than gas-powered vehicles for the environment (even better if CA continues to focus on renewable energy), but I would rather see less cars on the road in general in favor of public transport. The batteries and manufacture of EVs still impact the environment. We really need to move away from this car-centric culture. The problem, of course, is that California, and most of the US, is built around car-obsessed infastructure. It would be extremely difficult and costly to reconfigure decades of anti-walking, anti-train foundations, but as Kennedy implied, we can do the seemingly impossible if we take action. Now we just have to get the government onboard.

• Fandango August 28, 2022 / 12:45 pm

I understand. When we lived in the city (San Francisco), we used to walk, ride our bikes, and take public transportation everywhere. But when we moved to the burbs, public transportation is scarce, so we bought an electric car and two electric bikes. It is hard to get people to move to public transit in, as you said, our car-centric society.

• donmatthewspoetry August 29, 2022 / 3:55 am

While EV’s run on a clean fuel electricity their electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels. The problem is just being shifted.

• Fandango August 29, 2022 / 5:27 am

As long as it’s shifting me from having to pay close to $7 per gallon of gas, I’m happy.

• donmatthewspoetry August 29, 2022 / 5:45 am

True. But it’s not helping for a cleaner environment as people might think. Not a criticism of your decision to go EV though…..

• Fandango August 29, 2022 / 5:35 am

I might have to write a post about this. I read a book by economist Philip Slater, The Pursuit of Loneliness, in which he describes what he calls “the toilet assumption.” The toilet assumption is the notion that unpleasant realities will disappear if we remove them from our immediate field of vision, like when you flush the toilet after taking a dump.

• donmatthewspoetry August 29, 2022 / 5:52 am

Exactly. I got an EV ….no longer polluting environment…yay….you mean to tell me my source of electricity burns fossil fuels to make it? Philip Slater is right. Out of vision problem disappears……..

• tiredhamster August 29, 2022 / 6:52 pm

Overall, I think they’re still better than gas guzzlers, but they’re not nearly as green as they could be if most of our electricity is still generated via fossil fuels. I might be wrong but I think around 60% of CA’s electricity is provided by renewable energy, but I imagine the number is less for most states.

We could invest more in EVs, but we need to emphasize on where our power comes from. And as I mentioned previously, we really should remediate our car-centric infastructure which is challenging but also necessary. I’m also kind of iffy about essentially forcing people to buy EVs. I imagine that, as more are on the road, the necessary EV-infastructure will follow, but it would be nice if people didn’t have to keep spending money on expensive vehicles.

In the meantime, I would also like to see some immediate things be done by the federal government: ban private jets and cruise ships, and cut military spending. Unfortunately, I don’t see these things happening anytime soon.

• Fandango August 29, 2022 / 8:01 pm

Cut military spending? That’s a real pipe dream, sadly.

• donmatthewspoetry August 30, 2022 / 2:42 am

I think the push should be for more green energy. I don’t know what the individual states are but US average is 12%. Trouble is your petrol/oil lobby is powerful.

To me the technology of EV’s is new and has been jumped into as a good idea without being completely thought through.

I’d like to see us become less car reliant and public transport developed. Not easy though.

3. newepicauthor August 28, 2022 / 12:12 pm

I think it would be nice to live in California, except for the scarcity of water that you have there.

4. Nope, Not Pam August 28, 2022 / 1:05 pm

They’ve introduced this in Melbourne, the issue I have with it is affordability. I know it’s only new cars, but second hand cars will also rise in price.

• Fandango August 28, 2022 / 3:10 pm

I think that as the manufactures start producing enough electric cars to meet the projected demand, the prices for EVs will normalize.

• Nope, Not Pam August 28, 2022 / 3:17 pm

It will, but most can’t afford a new car now, and in Melbourne cars over 5 years old aren’t allowed. So that means second hand cars will skyrocket

• Nope, Not Pam August 29, 2022 / 4:06 am

They don’t allow cars to older than five years old. It’s part of their safety policy.

• donmatthewspoetry August 29, 2022 / 4:27 am

From what I read it’s only an incentive program to encourage young drivers to swap their old unsafe cars…..

• Nope, Not Pam August 29, 2022 / 5:00 am

Those old unsafe cars are driven to Adelaide and sold. So Melbourne might be safer, Adelaide isn’t

• Nope, Not Pam August 29, 2022 / 1:13 pm

I’m moving up your way then 😊

• Nope, Not Pam August 30, 2022 / 4:19 am

I agree completely

• donmatthewspoetry August 30, 2022 / 4:40 am

Cars parked in the street making it one-way. It didn’t used to be like that once…sigh

5. Mister Bump UK August 28, 2022 / 2:04 pm

Course, having an ev means nothing in itself. Depends how the electricity is generated.

• donmatthewspoetry August 29, 2022 / 4:01 am

Exactly MB. And in the US almost all electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels so having an EV is doing nothing for the environment…..It’s just shifting the problem

• Mister Bump UK August 29, 2022 / 8:12 am

It shifts the problem further up the chain, but that is something else that can be tackled. It’s better than burning fossil fuels directly.
        I can’t remember offhand the numbers for the US but the in the UK, only about a third of our electricity is clean and from memory the US is slightly worse than that.
        Dirtiest electricity producers include China, India and Australia!

• donmatthewspoetry August 29, 2022 / 4:31 pm

Renewable energy: US 12%, Australia 32%, UK 43%, India 39%, China 43%. US is by far the worse. One could hardly call Australia, India and China ‘dirty electrical producers’……..

• Fandango August 29, 2022 / 4:50 pm

The oil/fossil fuel industry in the U.S. has a powerful lobby.

• donmatthewspoetry August 30, 2022 / 2:30 am

Bit like the gun lobby. Yes, the answer is not simple. Companies want to make money and look after their own. I can understand this. Problem is greed and money rule the world. Would be nice to see some give and take balance to sort out the problems. It’s the old greed gene I think we are born with. How this shows itself depends on the environment we are in. No expert but just theorizing on why this is so……..

• Fandango August 30, 2022 / 9:36 pm

Yes, unfortunately greed and money do rule the world and I don’t see how that’s going to change any time soon. 🙁

• donmatthewspoetry August 30, 2022 / 9:49 pm

Is it western society which has done this? I cannot imagine primitive cultures being ruled by money and greed. I guess anthropologists would know more about this. Empathy in our society is sadly lacking. It’s built on the need to gain possessions…at whatever cost….sigh..

• Fandango August 30, 2022 / 11:02 pm

Ancient civilizations were ruled by pharaohs, kings, emperors, and monarchs with untold wealth. The great warriors of the past, from Alexander the Great to Genghis Khan, amassed fortunes by plundering the worldly wealth from the towns, villages, and countries they conquered. Greed and money have ruled the world for centuries.

6. JT Twissel August 28, 2022 / 3:02 pm

I agree but I think it’s going to really depend on the democrats staying in charge.

7. Marleen August 28, 2022 / 3:22 pm

I’m wondering why Washington D.C. has to approve of what California does, in this regard, before your state can do it.

8. Marilyn Armstrong August 30, 2022 / 8:48 pm

I’m not sure that electric vehicles are really going to be the solution we want. There are ways to turn existing vehicles into green machines if only the companies that did the research were free to publish. Not surprisingly, they’ve been silenced by GUESS WHO?

• Marilyn Armstrong August 30, 2022 / 10:24 pm

Well, as a start, ANY combustion engine can run on alcohol — which you can make from GARBAGE. You can actually do it now with minor tweaking and it’s clean as an electric. It would give us a way to get rid of some garbage, too.

There’s also a design to run cars on (are you ready?) WATER. Just water. If it weren’t for the oil and gas lobbies, we could have LONG since been green all over and the world would be a better place. My son is the big expert on this.

9. leigha66 September 4, 2022 / 11:29 am

Wow, what a bold step…. forward? With your blackout issues I really wonder if this will further strain the already failing electric companies? I realize the charging stations don’t drain a lot of energy but when you mass produce them that power has to come from somewhere.