Weekly Prompts Wednesday — Mini Me

I’m a big Mini fan.

Okay, yes, that may sound like an oxymoron, such as “jumbo shrimp.” But it’s not l. By saying I’m a big Mini fan, I don’t mean I’m a diminutive person who is a fan of, say, an athletic team. I’m actually a regular-sized person who is a fan of a number of sports teams. But I’m also a big fan of Mini Coopers, the British-made cars now owned by the German automotive company, BMW.

My wife and I, back in 2008, bought two Mini Coopers. She got the very sporty John Cooper Works Mini convertible and I got the very practical Mini Cooper Clubman, a slightly stretched version of the regular Mini Cooper hardtop. Then, in 2012, we bought a Mini Cooper Countryman (pictured below), a small SUV model, which we loved.

Alas, we are now Mini-less, as we decided last year to migrate to an electric car. At the time, Mini Cooper did not offer an electric model. In fact, even today, the only fully-electric Mini is the smallest model, the two door hardtop.

We are happy with our non-Mini Cooper electric car, but if Mini ever decides to launch fully-electric version of its Countryman model — which today is available in a plug-in hybrid model, but not all electric — we would seriously consider becoming Mini owners once again.

Written for the Weekly Prompts Wednesday challenge, where the word is “mini.”

16 thoughts on “Weekly Prompts Wednesday — Mini Me

1. Nope, Not Pam August 25, 2022 / 4:11 am

I always wanted one, but out of my budget

2. Misky August 25, 2022 / 5:26 am

I’ve had 3 Minis. My current one is a Countryman. Best car I’ve ever owned. Not ready for an EV because the rising price of electricity is criminal in the U.K. The price cap is due to rise again soon, which means people will be paying in excess of £5,000 per year just for electricity at home. That’s almost US$6,000 post year!

• Fandango August 25, 2022 / 11:03 am

I agree, the Countryman is a great car. But the price of gas here was out of control and the cost to charge my car during off-peak ours is a lot less than filling the tank with gasoline. That said, I do miss the Countryman.

3. Marleen August 25, 2022 / 5:36 am

Do you know what the mileage is supposed to be like in the hybrid (say if someone took a full trip on gas and not using the electric aspect)? And how far can the thing go on only a full charge of electricity, then also (third question) on the electricity in one charge plus a full tank of gas?

• Fandango August 25, 2022 / 11:09 am

According to Mini Cooper, on a full charge, the Mini Cooper SE Countryman ALL4 PHEV has an EPA estimated 73 MPGe, with 17 miles of all-electric range and combined range of 300 miles.

• Marleen August 26, 2022 / 9:28 am

That’s pretty good (on the face of it with no comparison to any other hybrid or all-electric car since I don’t know about any of that). Although 17 is a low number, it’s good enough if a person lives in an urban area with errands nearby. And 300 isn’t bad at all.

4. SueW August 25, 2022 / 1:56 pm

In my younger days I had two minis and have great memories of both. Then my cars became family sized while my husband chose sport cars. We both moved on to 4X4s, today I have a a crossover that’s still high enough off the ground for comfort.

5. Lauren August 25, 2022 / 11:15 pm

I wanted a mini, but alas my grands are too tall to fit.

6. leigha66 September 2, 2022 / 2:30 pm

After I win the lottery, maybe I can get a Mini Cooper of my own.