Fandango’s Provocative Question #179

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I recently read about a poll from Axios/Ipsos, which found that among Americans who’ve gone on vacation in the past three months, more than 70% say they took absolutely no precautions to reduce the risk of getting COVID, such as wearing masks or practicing social distancing.

This triggered a couple of thoughts. First, I haven’t gone on a vacation since 2019, sadly. Second, if I were to go on one now or in the near future, I would definitely wear a face mask when in public.

So I have a multi-part question today.

Have you been on a vacation/holiday in the past three months? If so, did you take any precautions against contracting COVID? If you haven’t been on a vacation/holiday in the most recent three months, when was your last vacation/holiday? If you’re planning to go on vacation/holiday within the next six or so months, will you be taking any steps to reduce the risk of getting COVID?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

25 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #179

1. paeansunplugged August 24, 2022 / 3:40 am

Haven’t been on a vacation since the beginning of the pandemic but did attend a couple of out of town weddings in the family and took full precautions masking up.

2. Nope, Not Pam August 24, 2022 / 4:20 am

We haven’t been on a holiday since 2018, but we are going in December. I haven’t really thought about Covid beyond getting my fourth booster before I go.

3. Sadje August 24, 2022 / 5:50 am

I haven’t been on a vacation since a year and a half. When we did go, we took all the required precautions. But it’s not much fun if you can’t eat indoors or go to shopping malls for the fear of catching Covid. When I got Covid, I didn’t know how I got it!!!!

4. Irene August 24, 2022 / 6:53 am

I haven’t been on a long vacation since last fall, just a couple of weekends in Toronto here and there (few hours by car from home). I wear masks, stay distanced and sanitize all the time, even locally, but I have to say that I am becoming a minority by doing so, even at church, with all those elderly parishioners (ugh).

5. ruddjr August 24, 2022 / 8:15 am

I stayed at a hotel recently for a few days. I didn’t wear a mask but there were a few people that did. They had sanitizers at the entrance and near the breakfast area. My passport comes up for renewal next year and I’m not going to renew it. I don’t see myself getting on a plane anytime soon!

6. The Autistic Composter August 24, 2022 / 11:36 am

The last holiday l had was in December 2014, l am kind of overdue, but l don’t think l will be taking one soon. Although l have a day out this coming Sunday – Bee Fest – Captain’s Garden – a celebration of bee keeping wich is to be held at Deal Castle.

Will l be taking precautions with regards covid? It will depend upon what the day out requires from me. It is all outside so whilst l will have a mask with me, it’ll depend upon how close l have to be to other humans.

7. Julydase August 24, 2022 / 2:11 pm

I haven’t been on vacation for a while but not because of Covid. In my neck of the woods, very few people wear masks (and haven’t since the state mandate lifted), me included. I go about my business just like I did before the s#%t hit the fan. I haven’t had Covid—that I know of—but I know quite a few people who have, some twice, and in all but one case, their symptoms were nonexistent to like a bad cold. The one person I knew who passed away was morbidity obese with lots of health problems. So….if I decide to vacation in the foreseeable future, I’ll do what is required where I go. And no more.

8. Leyde Ryan August 24, 2022 / 11:33 pm

I don’t go on vacations, nor travel beyond my neighborhood…and I am So OVER the masks.

9. leigha66 August 30, 2022 / 1:43 pm

Planning a trip to the Mall of America and I plan on having masks with me…. although around here I see so few people wearing them anymore. Even our clinic in town no longer requires them.