Truthful Tuesday — First Impressions

Di, host of Pensivity101, is once again standing in for Melanie, of Sparks from a Combustible Mind, for today’s Truthful Tuesday prompt. This week Di wants to know about first impressions. She says, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression, but how about first impressions on you?” She wants to know…

How do you react if the person isn’t how you imagined? Do you try to find some common ground, simply be polite, or shrug your shoulders?

I’m a relatively easy going guy. As such, I give people the benefit of the doubt when I first meet them. So, if there is a common ground to be had, I will attempt to find that. However, if not, and if the relationship is important (e.g., a boss, an in-law, an acquaintance of a close friend), I’ll try to be polite. Of course, if the person is wearing a red MAGA cap, all bets are off.

Rory’s Coffee Morning Question

Yesterday, Rory asked somewhat related questions. They weren’t specifically about first impressions, but about how one relates to other people. So I thought I’d address his questions here, too. Rory asked…

Are you easily irritated by people? If so what annoys or irks you the most?

As I’ve gotten older I’ve found that I’m less willing to suffer fools than I was in my younger days. Hence, when I encounter a fool I become easily irritated. And these days, the fools that I am annoyed by, irked by, and irritated by are people who are racist, bigoted, sexist, close-minded, and intolerant of others based upon their gender, race, religion, or national origin. I’m especially irritated by those who are willfully ignorant, which includes most far-right Republicans, anyone wearing a red MAGA cap, and all those who in any way whatsoever support, excuse, or condone Donald Trump.

‘Nuff said.

11 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — First Impressions

1. rugby843 August 23, 2022 / 10:08 am

Ok now tell us what you really think😂😂😉

Sent from my iPhone

2. Taswegian1957 August 23, 2022 / 4:21 pm

I’m irritated by certain types of people a lot more than I used to be. I try not to be rude but sometimes do give my unpopular opinion..

3. The Autistic Composter August 23, 2022 / 10:16 pm

So … in short that’s a yes then 🙂

………… well within reason of course – but those that society needs to pick up and drop from a substantial height 🙂

4. Leyde Ryan August 24, 2022 / 1:36 am

Oh my…on a given day I’d probably irritate you, but then I suspect you’d get on my last nerve too 🙂 I can’t even think about Trump–it aggravates, exacerbates all my pain issues. And what’s really hard is that, though I’m a devout Christian, I just don’t get how he had all the fundamentalists behind him…they of course think I’m blind and lost, oh well. Are you going to be offended if I say, “have a blessed day”? Apologies, if so 🙂

• Fandango August 24, 2022 / 7:02 am

Not offended at all. Just as long as you don’t, at the same time, remind me that I’m going to be condemned to eternal damnation for being a non-believer. And yes, I can’t fathom why so many fundamentalist and evangelicals have hopped on the Trump bandwagon. It blows my mind.

• Leyde Ryan August 24, 2022 / 4:06 pm

I don’t feel it’s my job to tell folks where they’ll spend Eternity. If they miss out of the good stuff, that’s on them.