The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth

In days of yore, such behavior would have been an affront to the decent citizens of our country. But times and technologies have changed. Today, these so-called online influencers receive hefty compensation, even when they have little to no qualifications for what they do.

Contrast that with a pair of weathered old fogies like you and me, my friend. No matter how hale and hardy we may feel, we don’t stand a chance. At least not unless someone invents a miracle module that can restore our youth, vim, and vigor. In the meantime, we’re just bystanders, people to basically be ignored, and all we can do is shake our heads and watch while these geeks inherit the Earth.

Written for these daily prompts from yesterday: The Daily Spur (yore), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (affront), My Vivid Blog (compensation), Word of the Day Challenge (qualification), E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (weathered), Ragtag Daily Prompt (hale), and Your Daily Word Prompt (module). Photo credit: Xavier Lorenzo@istockphoto.com.

18 thoughts on “The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth

1. donmatthewspoetry August 23, 2022 / 6:40 am

I believe Amazon sell a YVV creme (youth, vim, and vigor)..Rub it on parts feel needing rejuvination. Carries a warning not to be used on lower regions…….

2. Nope, Not Pam August 23, 2022 / 1:13 pm

I don’t get influencers. What the hell do they actually do except run their followers noses in what they’ve obtained through their followers loyalty 🙄

• Taswegian1957 August 23, 2022 / 8:36 pm

I don’t get them either. Who decided that they were the go-to people for life advice? Probably they, themselves. Any article that begins with “You have been doing such and such all wrong.” Just makes me mad as if they are saying that our generation are basically rubbish.

• Fandango August 23, 2022 / 10:42 pm

Yeah! What do they know that we should listen to them, right? 😉

• Marleen August 24, 2022 / 1:22 am

Well, the meaning of geek, dork, nerd… sometimes not very defined or settled. But I do agree with you about so-called influencers. It’s gotten pretty bizarre and seemingly will get more so.

I’m frustrated that geeks aren’t geeky enough and/or aren’t connected to the larger world enough to think things through and aren’t plentiful enough to get all the jobs done that we’re counting on.

I think of people with deep computer knowledge as geeks (although the word might be old enough to have a different origin). Twitter lies were being reported again, yesterday. A widespread threat all around.

Aside from the fact so much terrible stuff is said and planned on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, (China’s) Tik tok, and more, there is almost no security of private information or of the inner tech functioning.

Reported on Jake Tapper’s show yesterday (as a CNN “scoop” by Donie O’Sullivan), a whistleblower with the sir name of Zatko who used to have a senior executive role at Twitter has filed an official legal complaint.

A government representative said Zatko is warning, by filing — FEC?, FTC?, DoJ? — Twitter prioritizes “more users over security and privacy”. Media giants: a little tech knowledge and a lot of “business” motivation.

Even “business” means something different than I feel we expected mid century and mostly still through about the turn of this new century. Now it’s like business means tricking as you can and stacking the bucks.

Tapper pointed out the obvious, that these people are billionaires; making them the fake voices of wisdom, as if the worthy elders, but people who could hire, train, prioritize, and address shortcomings.

They don’t do it. It’s not important. Maybe when getting rich to be idolized is the top space, getting rich to be idolized works for any sort. The tech billionaires are largely influencers, too. (Besides collectors; spies.)

People such as Parag Agrawal, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, Gates, Bezos [don’t have much of a clue about Andy Jassy yet], along with hedge fund managers and the like appear to now be people who matter most.

Plus, we’re not to forget being impressed with those who focus on one elective surgery after another, obsession on makeup in public, drama, and just any damn thing they think of when people’ve heard their names.

I’ve heard of the Kardashians. And Kanye. Even Kanye’s latest way to make more money than he deserves from people. Clothing to be sold at Gap stores out of huge sacks, not to be put on shelves or hangars.

I’m already tuned out when I see hoodie salesmen being treated like they’re displaying “genius” or Botox clients like they’re doing something purposeful while they dis the general populace for not being useful.

Hey. Did you know that The Devil’s Advocate filmed the devil’s (or head/coaxer of lawyers or technocrats) home as the top two floors of 725 Fifth Avenue? Trump’s address, or where he stays in New York City.

• Marleen August 24, 2022 / 1:47 am

The Devil’s Advocate ending scene and credits

• Fandango August 24, 2022 / 6:56 am

I did not know that about where The Devil’s Advoocate was filmed.

• Marleen August 25, 2022 / 2:57 am

After all, yesterday, I felt like I needed to be a geek to get an appointment at a “minute clinic” (at a CVS pharmacy). Ok had gone to the post office, and it occurred to me to go see if I would test positive for COvid-19. Shit. There’s a line. And the line is only for the kiosk (computer). I stood for a few minutes and realized it was stupid to stand there and not know if I’d even see anyone after. On my way driving home, I called my life partner and asked him to make me an appointment (which he had done for himself from home the day before).

• Marleen August 26, 2022 / 1:11 pm

That “I” — I had gone to the post office…

I had to use the kiosk to check in, yesterday, nonetheless. The last time I tried to use one of these very things — a year ago when I was trying to get tested for covid-19… which turned out to be easier at Walgreens, where their police was for you to go through their drive-up window for the test — it just didn’t work for me. Yesterday, though, it worked without trouble.

Anyway, back to the winners in this world…

Hypocrites who have had their [huge] PPP loans forgiven are now incredibly upset about President Biden forgiving some student loan debt. [Disclosure: I haven’t had any student debt, nor ppp or other government loan.]

3. annieasksyou August 23, 2022 / 1:17 pm

Oh, I dunno, Fandango. Look at all the people who jump at your prompts. Doing ok for the geezer set, methinks!

• Fandango August 23, 2022 / 3:17 pm

Aw, thanks, Annie. But I somehow missed the big bucks of those online influencers. 😉

4. Leyde Ryan August 24, 2022 / 2:06 am

I don’t know much about this stuff, I’m rather reclusive and insulated. I know that “language” has completely changed since I was an English Major–I don’t understand most of the lingo (which is probably no longer a word). And what’s proper would not be recognized by those raised in the 50’s…and don’t even get me started about technology…I faint easily! Take good care of YOU!

• Fandango August 24, 2022 / 7:06 am

I think “lingo” is still a word, although I’m sure there’s a new, more 21st century expression for it now. I just don’t know what it is. 🤷🏻‍♂️