Song Lyric Sunday — Deep Cuts

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday challenge, Jim is giving us the theme of Underrated Deep Album Cuts suggested by Greg of Greg’s Blog. I’m not sure the song I decided to go with, “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” by The Rolling Stones, is underrated, but it was never released as a single or made the charts.

“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” was a track by British rock band the Rolling Stones from their 1971 album, Sticky Fingers. The song is over seven minutes long, an unusually long Stones track, Mick Jagger’s work is done by 2:45, but the song plays out for the next four-and-a-half minutes as it transforms into an extended, improvisational jam.

Originally the Stones were going to end the song before the jam started, but they were so pleased with the jam that they decided to keep it in. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine listed it at number 25 on its list of “The 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time.”

In an interview, lead guitarist at the time, Mick Taylor, said, the song is one his favorites. “The jam at the end just happened by accident; that was never planned. Towards the end of the song I just felt like carrying on playing. Everybody was putting their instruments down, but the tape was still rolling and it sounded good, so everybody quickly picked up their instruments again and carried on playing. It just happened, and it was a one-take thing. A lot of people seem to really like that part.”

The Stones then-bass guitarist Bill Wyman cited this as his favorite recording from Sticky Fingers. “After the basic song ended, the continuation by the band into almost a jam, is magic, and only happens by chance on a few lucky occasions when the recording tape is left to run.”

The lyrics to “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” are below, but I suggest that you don’t pay too much attention to the lyrics, which don’t seem to make much sense. Instead, close your eyes, clear your mind, and listen to the song, especially the jam, which, as Bill Wyman said, “is magic.”

Yeah, you got satin shoes
Yeah, you got plastic boots
Y'all got cocaine eyes
Yeah, you got speed freak jive now

Can't you hear me knockin'
On your window
Can't you hear me knockin'
On your door
Can't you hear me knockin'
Down your dirty street
All right now

Help me baby
I ain't no stranger
Help me baby
I ain't no stranger

Can't you hear me knockin'
Are you safe asleep
Can't you hear me knockin'
Down your gaslight street
Can't you hear me knockin'
Throw me down the keys

Hear me ringin'
Big bell toll
Hear me singin'
Soft and low
I've been beggin'
On my knees
I've been kickin'
Help me please

Hear me howlin'
I wanna take you down
Hear me growlin'
Yeah, I got flatted feet now now now
Hear me prowlin'
All around your street
Hear me knockin'
All around your townhouse

14 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Deep Cuts

1. donmatthewspoetry August 21, 2022 / 6:44 am

I really enjoyed this. The jam in particular. I’m a great fan of electric guitar. The smooth transition into the jam was good also. I wondered who was playing sax? Your given background made it much more interesting. Music in general becomes much more interesting if one knows what goes on behind the scenes.

I understand ‘underrated’ but no idea what ‘Deep Album Cuts’ mean……….

Is that bulge near the zipper him knocking Fan? Just wondering……

• Fandango August 21, 2022 / 7:26 am

Deep cuts are either those that require stitches or pieces of music by a singer or group that is little known in comparison to their other music. There is a channel on satellite music service SiriusXM, which I subscribe to, called “Deep Tracks,” which is the same thing.

• Fandango August 21, 2022 / 7:28 am

Bobby Keys, not a regular member of the Stones, plays sax on the recording.

2. newepicauthor August 21, 2022 / 7:16 am

I think this song is about a late night booty call and the girl is sleeping. It is a great jam and the Stones got funky with this. It is not just the guitars, but the way the horns blend in so perfectly that makes this song so great. thanks for sharing this today, Fandango.

• Fandango August 21, 2022 / 7:33 am

Thanks, Jim. I was late today. I usually schedule these SLS responses for 3am my time, but when I woke up this morning, I saw it was scheduled for 3pm! So I published it as soon as I realized that.

3. Marleen August 21, 2022 / 11:50 am

I remember my two older male cousins — as opposed to the two younger male cousins on the other side of the family, who were brothers, brothers in both cases — thinking that album cover was quite intriguing or hush-hush and a little funny. I don’t know how old I was, but I couldn’t figure out what the big deal was. There’s something provocative about zippers? Anyway, I enjoyed the jam part and am glad you shared it.

4. bushboy August 21, 2022 / 2:58 pm

Sticky Fingers is one of my favourite Stones albums. I have the vinyl with the actual zipper. So enjoyed listening to this track this morning thanks Fandango 🙂

• Fandango August 21, 2022 / 3:02 pm

I used to have the vinyl album as well, but not anymore. Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed are my favorite Stones albums.