Inspiration and Faithful

For those of you who, based upon the title of this post, were expecting a religious or spiritual post from me today, I’m sorry to disappoint. This post is actually in response to the Thursday Inspiration post hosted by Jim Adams and to the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Friday Faithfuls post, also hosted by Jim Adams.

For yesterday’s Thursday Inspiration prompt, Jim gave us the word “street.” What came to mind was the song “On the Street Where You Live” from the musical My Fair Lady.

But it also brought to mind my street, which is crowded with construction vehicles and workers. The neighborhood we live in now was built in the mid-fifties, and it looks like this summer, all of our neighbors on the block are doing major construction on their houses.

Next door neighbors are doubling the size of their home

The people on our left are doubling the size of their house. The people on their left are adding a large room in the back of their house. The house across the street was taken down to the studs and is being totally remodeled, and house next to that one just added a huge patio off the master bedroom. Even the house behind ours just put an addition to the back of their house.

And, yes, we are in the process of tearing out our water-hungry grass lawn and replacing it with a dry creek bed of stones and boulders and drought tolerant plants. Ah, climate change.

Our drought-friendly work-in-progress front yard

Head in the Clouds

I still haven’t figured out what the intent of “Friday Faithfuls” is, but Jim’s Friday Faithful post today was an education in cloud and edge computing. I didn’t really understand most of what he wrote, but at the end he said, “I would be happy if you basically wrote anything about a computer, or the internet.”

Alrighty then. I have a six year old Dell laptop that the folks at Dell keep trying to get me to trade in for a new, 2022 model. But I only boot up my laptop two or three times a month. My iPhone meets 95+% of my computing needs, including 100% of my blogging activities on WordPress.

In a bit of kismet, Jim mentioned in another post of his this morning that Apple was warning of a serious security flaw for iPhones, iPads, and Macs that allows hackers to access these devices. Apple’s vulnerability means that a hacker could get “full admin access” to the device. That would allow intruders to impersonate the device’s owner and subsequently run any software in their name.

Thanks to Jim’s timely post, I immediately updated my iPhone to the just released iOS update that addresses that security flaw. So thanks, Jim, for saving my ass from having some asshole hacker take control of my iPhone.

And that’s my post about a computer and the internet. I hope this does, indeed, make Jim happy.

22 thoughts on “Inspiration and Faithful

1. newepicauthor August 19, 2022 / 3:32 pm

I always enjoyed watching My Fair Lady and this is a great street song. Hackers are the biggest assholes on the planet.

2. Carol anne August 19, 2022 / 3:37 pm

I am on my way to update my I phone now! I don’t want to be hacked! xo

3. Marleen August 19, 2022 / 4:38 pm

I had the patience and interest to watch the new West Side Story a few days ago after a fraction of cannabis-infused gummy. And then I fell asleep.

4. Marilyn Armstrong August 19, 2022 / 4:42 pm

My Dell laptop was almost 7 years old (my how time flies!) and it was well used. I’m hoping this one goes the distance. I picked up the info on the Apple update, but I updated everything from iPhone to Mac Air last week. If there’s another upgrade, they aren’t showing it.

5. Leyde Ryan August 19, 2022 / 7:53 pm

I love that song. Curious about all the construction…I keep hearing about another Recession. I know, none of my beeswax 🙂

• Fandango August 19, 2022 / 8:21 pm

People around here, especially those who’ve lived here for a while, find it more cost effective to upgrade their current homes than to buy a new one.

6. Taswegian1957 August 20, 2022 / 12:55 am

My laptop, an ASUS, is about the same age but nobody is pestering me to upgrade it. I’d love to but I’m trying to hang on till I have saved enough money.

7. Nope, Not Pam August 20, 2022 / 4:03 am

All I could think when I was watching that video, was that street is way to clean for London 😂

8. Julydase August 20, 2022 / 8:20 am

I have my iPhone and iPad set to do updates automatically; my devices were updated by the time I head about this.

9. Paula Light August 20, 2022 / 8:31 am

I updated my phone & will do my iPad next. Thanks for the alert, Fandango & Jim!

10. leigha66 August 25, 2022 / 3:12 pm

So many changes in your neighborhood, but the most important one was your phone update… I just don’t understand why people would want to hack into a phone. Takes all kinds of people I guess.