Fandango’s Provocative Question #178

FPQ

Welcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

I am unabashedly stealing my provocative question this week from another blogger, Rory, who you may remember as A Guy Called Bloke. He has a new blog now, Earthly Comforts. Last week, Rory posed a number of Rory-like questions in this post. But I found one of his questions particularly provocative. So I decided to ask it here and to see how all of you would respond to this question.

Note that in Rory’s post, he gave an out, saying, “If you are not sure, well then make something up!” I would prefer that you a come up with a more serious answer, but if you are so inclined, you can go ahead and “make something up.”

With that said, here, thanks to Rory, is this week’s provocative question…

When did time actually begin?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

29 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #178

1. Nope, Not Pam August 17, 2022 / 3:57 am

When humans decided to measure it. The concept of time is a construct

2. Paula Light August 17, 2022 / 7:28 am

Since physicists don’t all agree on when time began (many say the Big Bang, but not all), I think it’s ok for a layperson like myself to avoid spouting an opinion. That’s one of the problems with the internet ~ everyone has to have an opinion on things they know nothing about 🙄

• Fandango August 17, 2022 / 12:08 pm

Yes, it’s a problem with the internet, but when it comes to responding to provocative questions, reading those opinions can be quite interesting.

3. Irene August 17, 2022 / 7:34 am

We perceive time as one-directional, always moving forward, but it is a dimension, like length, so it goes to infinity both ways.

• Fandango August 17, 2022 / 12:09 pm

True, but when did it actually begin? 😉

• Marleen August 17, 2022 / 12:10 pm

In my maturity, I have tended to think of time as a fourth dimension.

4. The Autistic Composter August 17, 2022 / 11:08 am

Hey Fandango – many thanks.

Time for begins when l wake up in the morning and start the day and ends when l finally fall asleep 🙂

5. Marleen August 17, 2022 / 11:19 am

This is an example of something incomprehensible to humans. It’s conceptually impossible to think of time beginning (and if it began, then we don’t know what was before that). It’s also conceptually impossible to think of it, or something, not beginning. What we know is we experience it and exist integrally with it. Plus, it’s essential to how we learn from birth on (or before such as with the playing of classical music or the sounds of voices). We have devised ways to quantify and mark it in order to communicate about it and make plans.

6. Marilyn Armstrong August 17, 2022 / 12:26 pm

Time is not a construct. How we measure it is a construct, but time has always existed. Just ask the birds or a farmer or, for that matter, our dog. We have always had time. What we didn’t have were clocks.

• Fandango August 17, 2022 / 4:44 pm

You’re right. Time has always existed. But the ability to calibrate time into distinct increments and to measure it, is a very human construct. Here’s how I responded to this question when Rory asked it on his blog:

“Some may argue that time either always existed or began at the occurrence of The Big Bang. But to other than human beings, the measurement of time means nothing. No other species besides human beings understand or care about seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, or centuries. Your dog doesn’t know or care how many hours it’s been since his last meal. Only whether he’s hungry or not.

“Since the concept of time is a human construct, time, particularly the measurement of time, is a relatively recent phenomenon. It most likely began with the invention of sundials in ancient Egypt sometime between 2000 and 1500 B.C. Initially, the basic unit of time was the period of daylight. The Egyptians broke that period from sunrise to sunset into twelve equal parts, which became the forerunner to the contemporary concept of hours.”

• Marleen August 17, 2022 / 5:36 pm

Doesn’t it seem some people are saying what the clock does IS time, while others are saying humans have taken it upon themselves to measure time (but that the measuring or measure isn’t the thing itself while things that happen indicate it has been happening)? Things happening can be seasonal movements or growth or rotting where we don’t have precise increments (or can be, less reliably because twisting the knob backward doesn’t really turn back time with the hands, more rigidly on a round thing called a face). If I were flung into a vacuum which exists in larger space, where there isn’t a complete vacuum, I wouldn’t be able to see or experience anything showing time going by (this is aside from the fact that I think I would explode and not experience anything without a spacesuit) except I’d probably catch on that I was getting more and more tired and hungry and thirsty and sad and dead. Now, that’s back to a closer likeness of your dog (but not the same because I’ve had other encounters and opportunities). But would we say that as soon as humans invent something then whatever existed before is no more? For instance, we don’t really call time time anymore?

Someone just pointed out to me that I might hear my heartbeat.