Weekend Writing Prompt — Judgement Day

“Look at the moon, Dad,” Randy said. “I’ve never seen it look so big before.”

“It is dazzling, son,” George said.

“Honey, I’m frightened,” George’s wife said. “It’s huge and it seems to be getting bigger by the minute.”

“You’re right!” George screamed. “It’s on a collision course toward Earth. It’s Judgement Day!”

(Exactly 53 words)

Written for Sammi Cox’s Weekend Writing Prompt, where the word is “dazzling” in exactly 53 words.

24 thoughts on “Weekend Writing Prompt — Judgement Day

1. rugby843 August 13, 2022 / 1:17 pm

You’re probably the only one on the blog that would appreciate this story but in this new senior complex, it’s not unlikely that people are going to die and my neighbor came and knocked on my door. I call her the Jesus lady. I call her that because she asked me my name when I first met her, I told her and she said (her name was a French version of Elaine something) and I said, are you French and she said no, Jesus gave me that name when my husband died and went to be with Jesus. OK all that aside and I know you’re laughing now Fandango—I just know it. And trying to keep a straight face when she was saying that was difficult believe me. I know it’s rude but she knocked on my door and I asked her if she knew what was going on. She said this woman just died and I said oh I didn’t know her. She said well I hope she’s with Jesus up there and not down there and I just looked at her and I said well you know I really don’t believe there’s an up there and a down there, I think it’s all right here where we’re living and you can make life what you want. She looked at me Weirdly of course. But I have to run the other way when I see her coming because she won’t shut up about Jesus this and Jesus that and it really irritates me. Maybe I’m just a rude person, maybe I’m wrong and she’s right but I don’t want to argue with anyone whose every other word is Jesus. I have been there living in TX and I don’t want it again.

Sent from my iPhone

• Fandango August 13, 2022 / 2:00 pm

“I don’t want to argue with anyone whose every other word is Jesus.” Yeah, that would be an exercise in futility.

• Marleen August 13, 2022 / 3:45 pm

I appreciate it. Sounds really painful. But I don’t have a WordPress account. After my dad died, my mom decided that the fact the new “Pope” has the name of Francis (and both my mom’s parents had middle names that are versions, I think with different spellings, of that name) was her license or something to convert to Catholicism. Now, she thinks “the love of [her] life” is a priest at the church she attends (while she converted at a different local church because they had an easier program for entry). Somehow, she thinks or pretends this honors my dad, who grew up Catholic. At the same time, she makes up stories to devalue my dad. It’s pretty gross how she does this in general — makes up lies both positive and negative about anyone. But she projects out onto people who don’t jump at her beck and call some lack of being properly religious or an anti-Catholic stance.

2. Nancy Richy August 13, 2022 / 1:30 pm

Written for Sammi Cox’s Weekend Writing Prompt, where the word is “dazzling” in exactly 53 words:

It didn’t matter to Rachel and Dante that she was eight inches taller.

They were compatible in every way and knew they were meant to be together forever.

Dante had a good heart and was handsome, too, with jet black hair and dazzling blue eyes.

Rachel knew – great things came in small packages.

• Fandango August 13, 2022 / 1:47 pm

Nice one. You forgot to mention that Dante is a billionaire.

3. Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris August 13, 2022 / 2:22 pm

When I was very, very young young – I wrote my first Creative Non-Fiction poem. It’s 83 words but I thought I’d post it just for fun. 😊

The Moon – A Conversation
    by Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris
    (83 words)

What is that Daddy?
    Why that’s the moon baby.

What’s a moon Daddy?
    Well, it’s a giant round rock that circles the Earth.

What does it do Daddy?
    When the moon crosses over the ocean
    it creates waves.

Who put it up there Daddy?
    Well, God put the moon in the sky baby.

What is God Daddy?
    Well baby, God is a wonderful Being.

Why would a bean put a rock in the sky Daddy?
    I love you baby.
    I love you Daddy.

4. Marleen August 13, 2022 / 10:53 pm

It’s a little humorous or telling that the dad screamed at the thought of judgment day, like he knows he’s guilty of something. I decided not to put this video and video/cultural commentary under the most recent provocative question prompt. I reserve a tinge of hope, there. But I’ll get back to that. This is the fourth installment of “We Need To Talk About Cosby” and is rated TVMA . Something a woman says at the end before credits (while there are a few more statements from others afterward) resonated with me: “Bill Cosby is a catalyst for understanding the American experiment.” It’s not him above all others, but after I had watched four episodes within my own context of being repeatedly disappointed in The United States of America (even if it has been a great country in some ways).

There’s a man, a comic, near the same area of the composed footage who says he thought his hero was going to go out with accolades and self assurance, “ ‘Look what I did for our people; look what I did for America. Yes!’ But, man! The ending is a torn page. ”

A woman, right before 51 minutes, says “America has a rape problem.” While I’m writing this, more connecting thoughts are occurring to me: We weren’t just established in slavery (which is bad enough prima facie+), we were established in rape. If you go back to right before 33 minutes, the same woman had said a man’s desire to have sex with a drugged and unconscious woman — this reeks of rationalizing for a hero or excuses for legalization of prostitution and maybe from a dissociative relationship with history on her part — “this type of behavior is caused by sex negativity” (and she has a cockamamie solution*1).

Just before 34 minutes, a man says it like it is, “You’re a monster.”

Right after the 51 marker, a different woman says it’s hatred towards women*2 (generations of it, “not just Bill Cosby”). Then Chris Matthews (of liberal fame or infamy) is shown saying, with a smirk and a gleam in his eyes and across his full face, the smile growing as he and his crew prepare for an interview, “Where’s that Bill Cosby pill I brought with me.” People look at him with body language and facial expressions ranging from indicating that was weird to showing a feeling of shock, and he just acts like it’s funnier; adds actual laughing out loud.

Kavanaugh is somebody’s dad and, now, all our patriarch since the vaunted FBI investigation was purposely a sham. Additionally, and perhaps most consequentially, Kavanaugh was prepared with a cue phrase to proclaim in the process for his confirmation. Lindsey Graham was listening for it; he heard it when Brett employed the words during his discomfort at the questioning about his life. The governmental hearing at hand was roundly and immediately taken off course by that senator; no more protocol we had been set up to expect. I believe there is an undercurrent to make sure evil people are put into enough key places as to push for the assurance we can never have Justice, only a win or apparent win here or there but nothing systemic. Anything supporting greater healing is (under those auspices)best ditched.

I lament for our [we being decent men and women] well-being and optimism, in that even if serial rapist Donald Trump encounters conviction regarding something criminal — not rape but other outgrowths of his narcissism — he will benefit from heading toward being let off, due to the fact he is a rapist and the fact he shows disrespect for half the population. (It doesn’t hurt that he hates most people of color, either; really all, but some serve his purposes.)

*2 At the same time I agree it is hatred of women, most men similar to him won’t think of it in such a way and certainly won’t say it. More will indulge the feeling of looking down on women, but won’t speak the terminology (because they’ve caught on it won’t fly for them). Others don’t even perceive themselves as looking down on women but do want to take them down (decrease a sense of status or worth per the women). It might or might not be related to an internal feeling, with a particular individual, of being lower or one who cannot obtain what he really wants; or of taking in a sense of sympathy for other men who can’t (or have decided they can’t).

*1 I refer a reader to “WestWorld” and to “Humans” to contemplate, if one doesn’t already comprehend. I, myself, have mixed feelings about the science fiction of creating people out of robots (or that the ding-bat idea can be done). Taking into account, though, that men have thought of women as lesser humans (as well as taking into consideration that women are often in weaker social positions) rather than fully human and rather than having autonomy…

+pronounced facia, pry-mah fay-shah

• Marleen August 14, 2022 / 12:17 am

The above pronunciation, connected with the spelling, has been bugging me. I had to be corrected on the spelling, but that doesn’t seem like a logical pronunciation. Now, I didn’t find the “nineteen” pronunciations. But there is this little chart at the link, and there is a different pronunciation in the video at the link.

Below is the UK transcription for ‘prima facie’:

Modern IPA: prɑ́jmə fɛ́jʃɪj
      Traditional IPA: ˌpraɪmə ˈfeɪʃiː
      4 syllables: “PRY” + “muh” + “FAY” + “shee”

Break ‘prima facie’ down into sounds: [PRY] + [MUH] + [FAY] + [SHEE] – say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them.

https://youglish.com › pronounce

19 pronunciations of Prima Facie in British English – YouGlish

5. Nope, Not Pam August 14, 2022 / 3:45 am

Well at least they got a good view 😊

6. Bill August 14, 2022 / 2:26 pm

A whole new take on ‘here comes the sun.’ Yikes.

7. leigha66 August 16, 2022 / 10:46 pm

The man on the moon just wants to introduce himself up close and personal like.