The Letter S

Deb, over at Nope, Not Pam, has this weekly challenge called A Letter a Week where she gives us a place, an emotion, an adjective, a verb, and an animal all starting with the same letter. Then she asks us to write a post using those items and the letter she has given us, which this week is the letter S.

Here are Deb’s S-words:

Place – school
Emotion – sense of wonder
Adjective – snug
Verb – scrubbed
Animal – skunk

I really, really liked school. As a kid with a keen sense of wonder, I always felt snug as a bug in a rug when I was in the classroom learning things.

One day, a kid in my class brought his pet skunk, Pepe Le Pew, to school for Show and Tell.

I had always wondered about skunks, and seeing one in real life was fascinating.

My curiosity about the skunk brought me very close to the skunk’s cage. Perhaps too close. I may have frightened the little fellow, because he suddenly turned around, raised his tail, and sprayed me. It was awful.

I had to throw away the clothes I wore that day because no matter how strenuously my mother scrubbed them, she couldn’t get the stink out. And no matter how many times I washed my hair and body, it took a few weeks before the stink from the skunk finally completely faded away.

21 thoughts on “The Letter S

1. Nancy Richy August 7, 2022 / 7:04 am

🦨 🤧 I could say this story stinks but you might take it the wrong way! A nice fun enjoyable read! Better you than me lol!! Working on my story and taking a whole different route. 😳

• Fandango August 7, 2022 / 7:30 am

It’s the different routes that make these prompts enjoyable.

2. newepicauthor August 7, 2022 / 7:14 am

A good friend of mine had a descented pet skunk and he also had a pet snake. He was so spoiled, and he got whatever he wanted from his parents.

• newepicauthor August 7, 2022 / 7:36 am

The snake was such a useless pet, as all it ever did was lay in the bottom of its cage, but my friend enjoyed watching it eat live mice.

• Irene August 7, 2022 / 11:17 am

According to my dog’s groomer, the tomato juice remedy is a myth. Hydrogen peroxide or special products, such as “Nature’s Miracle” is what she recommends.

• Fandango August 7, 2022 / 11:27 am

When my dog got sprayed, I used Dawn dishwashing soap, tomato juice, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda. And even with that, every time he got wet (from rain), the skunk smell returned for about 3-4 months.

3. Nope, Not Pam August 7, 2022 / 1:17 pm

I’ve always wondered if the smell is that bad, gather it is from this tale 😳

• Fandango August 7, 2022 / 8:43 pm

You really don’t have skunks in Australia? That stinks. Well, actually it’s skunks that stink.

4. leigha66 August 9, 2022 / 12:51 pm

Smelling dead skunks on the roadway is the closest I have even been to being sprayed… I can’t imagine how awful it would be!