Word Crimes

I have a reputation, somewhat deservedly so, as a pedantic and perhaps an overly passionate grammar Nazi. But the truth is that my pedantry is directed mostly toward me, myself, and I. And yes, I know, “me, myself, and I” is, in and of itself, an example of solecism, but, in this case, with intent.

It’s not as if, when I rise in the morning, my ambition is to find fault with the grammar, punctuation, usage, or spelling errors of other bloggers. That would be a huge waste of time, and I need to focus on striking a balance between reading other bloggers’ posts and writing my own.

Besides, I’m not a man without pathos. I don’t want to give other bloggers the squiggles because I understand that most of us here on WordPress are part-time bloggers, and we’re doing the best we can.

Written for these daily prompts: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (passion), Your Daily Word Prompt (solecism), The Daily Spur (rise), Jim Adams’ Thursday Inspiration (waste), Word of the Day Challenge (striking), E.M.’s Random Word Prompt (pathos), My Vivid Blog (squiggles), and Ragtag Daily Prompt (part time).

31 thoughts on “Word Crimes

1. Nope, Not Pam August 4, 2022 / 5:06 pm

I don’t think you’re that bad

2. newepicauthor August 4, 2022 / 5:13 pm

Q) Do you know why the writer made so many mistakes?
    A) It is because he had a typo personality.

3. Gypsie-Ami Offenbacher-Ferris August 4, 2022 / 5:15 pm

Just to let you know … there is an error in this line-

“ That would a huge waste of time ….”

Do I get an A+ or a kick in the A**? LOL 😊

• Fandango August 4, 2022 / 5:37 pm

“Do I get an A+ or a kick in the A**?” Both! 😂 But thanks for pointing that out. It has been corrected! 🙏

4. Sadje August 4, 2022 / 5:40 pm

My grammar is improving all the time.

• Fandango August 4, 2022 / 5:56 pm

One of my favorites!

5. Carol anne August 4, 2022 / 5:50 pm

Awesome Fandango! Great use of all of the prompt words! ❤

6. Marleen August 4, 2022 / 8:26 pm

Yes, I like the song, like the cartoon, and have gotten annoyed with apostrophe mistakes.

• Fandango August 4, 2022 / 10:55 pm

I absolutely agree!

7. Lolsy's Library August 5, 2022 / 12:37 am

Sometimes I get annoyed, sometimes I don’t. I “suffer” from dyslexia, so sometimes my brain doesn’t work and I just don’t care, lol

8. eklastic August 5, 2022 / 2:17 am

You’d love to see the apostrophe crimes in Germany. We don’t have the genitive apostrophe in German, except in very special cases, but seeing English has confused many people and the apostrophes are flying left, right and center. It’s called the “dork’s apostrophe” and made fun of (with the only effect that it proliferates). — Now my own excuse: I keep making more and more spelling mistakes (I never used to), especially homophones or near homophones. I notice it normally if I read the text again at a later time and correct it (if possible) red-faced.

• eklastic August 5, 2022 / 9:02 am

I’m glad you (and I) wrote it with an n. With an n there are more than problemtic!

9. Julydase August 5, 2022 / 8:03 am

I make my fair share of grammatical errors. Like you, I don’t spend time searching for, and pointing out, other bloggers’ grammatical mistakes; I ignore them and hope they ignore mine. That being said, because of the subject matter of your post, I will say that I spotted two, possibly three, punctuation errors in your post.

• Fandango August 5, 2022 / 8:21 am

I would love for you to point them out so that I can both learn and correct them.

10. Gradmama2011 August 5, 2022 / 10:03 am

There should be a law again allowing “just anybody” to use apostrophes. My husband used to read the paper with a pen in hand so he could mark errors. I don’t go that far, but those “errors” do jump out of a sentence. Another thing, when there is an article about punctuation errors, there will automatically be an example of the offending error. It is SO embarrassing when I reread my own writings and find mistakes. Usually typos, but not always. I like to call them “brain errors.” I will go back and edit the piece even after years.

11. leigha66 August 8, 2022 / 2:32 pm

Love the song! I can’t wait for his movie bio to come out in November, I think it is.

12. Marleen September 3, 2022 / 4:46 pm

~

The Snapple Elements line of beverages first launched in April 1999 with four flavours inspired by the elements earth, air, fire and water.

The original … flavours [included] Earth (grape cranberry), Fire (dragonfruit)… and Rain (agave cactus). ….

According to the Walk Memory Lane blog… Volcano (indigo grape)… [came later as did] Diet Air (prickly peach).

It is not known exactly when the line was discontinued however, as per comments on a 2008 blog post, the drinks appear to have been fazed out in the late 2000s.

Three flavours have returned for 2022, Fire, Rain and Air. Both Fire and Rain have the same original flavours however Air’s prickly pear flavour is new.

……

Fans have yearned for the drink’s return since they left the shelves Over the years, fans of the element themed beverages have hoped for the drinks to once again be back in production.

………

• Marleen September 3, 2022 / 5:41 pm

Oops. Messed up (repeated in particular) the end of what I quoted above.

I, personally, missed Rain. And, apparently, the sugar has been reduced from before (which is commendable). Yet… the ingredient standard, here for Fire, whew.

{Looking around, I see the Air-Prickly [actually pear-peach-white tea] at least offers some caffeine; the other two [Rain and Fire] don’t have caffeine (but both of them have pear concentrate.}

Filtered water, sugar, pear and grape juice concentrates, citric acid, natural flavors

Contains 10% juice