Truthful Tuesday — Birth Control

Melanie, of Sparks from a Combustible Mind, is still filling in for Frank, aka PCGuy, who is taking a hiatus from his Truthful Tuesday prompt. This week Melanie has picked up on this post I wrote last week about how paradoxical it is that many who oppose abortion also oppose birth control. Melanie asks…

Birth control? Pro or con. Please explain.

My wife and I believe in the “replace yourself” theory of population growth. So after we had our second child, I had a vasectomy. It was our way of ensuring that we didn’t have any more kids.

A vasectomy is one form of birth control that a man can employ. The condom is another. Virtually all other forms of contraception are used by women. I haven’t looked into the Republican efforts to ban contraceptives, but I would wager that it doesn’t include banning vasectomies. Am I right, fellas?

Speaking of birth control, a few weeks ago, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 228 to 195 to pass the Right to Contraception Act, which would make it a federal right for Americans to obtain and use birth control pills, condoms, IUDs and other contraceptives.

The bill specifically defined contraceptives as “any drug, device, or biological product intended for use in the prevention of pregnancy, whether specifically intended to prevent pregnancy or for other health needs, that is legally marketed under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, such as oral contraceptives, long-acting reversible contraceptives, emergency contraceptives, internal and external condoms, injectables, vaginal barrier methods, transdermal patches, and vaginal rings, or other contraceptives.”

But when the Senate Democrats tried to pass the bill codifying federal rights to contraception by unanimous consent, it was blocked by Senator Joni Ernst, a Republican from Iowa. So for now, the bill is dead in the water.

Birth control is a way for women and men to prevent and/or plan the timing of pregnancy. It’s use is a personal and private matter. It should not be a political issue. It should not be a religious issue. It should be a matter for a woman and a man to decide upon. Period.

22 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Birth Control

1. Mister Bump UK August 2, 2022 / 10:15 am

There’s a good parallel here with abortion, but where most people have no firsthand experience of abortion, I suspect many more do of contraception.

Because they are the same thing. Each mangles the “natural order” of things to produce an unnatural outcome. I can understand people who argue for or against both, but not people who argue for one but against the other.

• Fandango August 2, 2022 / 11:22 am

But the paradox is that those who oppose abortion consider it to be murder (killing an embryo or fetus), while contraceptives prevent fertilization, so no fertilization of the egg occurs, thus no murder, no killing of a fetus. And doesn’t it stand to reason that since contraceptives prevent pregnancy, and if pregnancy is prevented through contraception, the need for abortion in the case of an unwanted, unplanned pregnancy is mitigated. So how can someone be both anti-abortion and anti-contraceptives?

• Mister Bump UK August 2, 2022 / 12:15 pm

because neither is natural. Naturally, the sperm fertilizes the egg, then the woman carries the foetus to term.
        But the easy counter to this argument is that we go against nature all the time. Who, with cancer, would refuse treatment? Or even with toothache?

• Marleen August 2, 2022 / 1:29 pm

Some folks might think they are for what’s natural but, then, are for preserving fertilized eggs too (by overarching legal demand).

• Marleen August 2, 2022 / 1:05 pm

So the people who say it’s murder, as a political argument, should be okay with at least some contraceptives (in terms of legality even if they don’t want to use them); condoms and diaphragms might be obvious. Another line of debate has been fetal pain. Again, if that was a good faith concept, then PlanB should be okay… and some other things — for other people anyway. But if what is really wanted is to impose your own religion, these were just ideas thrown out there for traction and distraction. As it turns out, there are religious apparatuses and ground rules, but that should be for the people who directly subscribe to such organized version of faith or spirituality. They should be able to coexist with the rest of the population. I have my own rules of the road (which have changed a little) as my spirituality doesn’t depend on an authority structure of humans. Within a marriage, rather than a country, I can see how agreement could be difficult. Trying to get laws to go your way isn’t an appropriate way to aim at solving your marital issues. Meanwhile, Israel is very lenient about abortion. Nevertheless, there have been boards or commissions to approve each one. [They are doing away with this as a standard rule and will be offering something with blanks to fill in online.] The need for oversight when abortion is ostensibly off limits should be instructive; there are times notwithstanding the larger discouragement of abortion. Do we want those times decided, and delayed, by government bodies? Or do we want the woman or some combination of directly interested parties to handle this in privacy? Some people would say delay in the hopes of denial or disaster or a change of mind. And, finally, there is the hands-off at all costs approach — as Mr. B of the UK alluded. I can see that as either religious or not religious.

2. Paula Light August 2, 2022 / 10:29 am

I wish these congress critters were not involved in our medical care. What happened to “stay in your lane?” I can understand people being against abortion and/or bc, and they don’t have to get one or use any. Just leave the rest of us alone!

3. Marleen August 2, 2022 / 11:20 am

I haven’t read what you wrote, yet, Fandango. So no responses (to you or anybody else yet) in this. As a broad topic, I think it’s a good thing we have birth control in the sense of contraception. As it turns out, I guess it’s good that we have people who perform abortions (although this is not a generally good plan for birth control); when I was young, I thought natural processes couldn’t go very wrong and that being pregnant isn’t a medical condition. Maybe, for the most part, that’s true. It was so in my own life. But I’ve paid enough attention to other women to realize there can be serious complications. This, along with the fact I consider birth via a child (I mean a child-child like under fifteen) to usually be a threat to health (and I’ve read where cultures who begin childbearing under twenty have a higher incidence of female anatomical problems), tells me this is a valid means of birth control in certain circumstances (birthing shouldn’t be a forced circumstance when the mother’s well-being is in danger or the fetus isn’t viable). Now — as for the things that are usually considered “birth control” — there are some I wouldn’t use but which are important to some women, many women. That’s up to them, and I would be most interested in the effects of the medication or device on health. And, finally, I find it imperative that people overall remain aware of where [as in what pharmacy/dime store because it’s over-the-counter] they can help someone to obtain Plan-B (again not as the usual method but because it fits a definition of contraception, rather that abortion, to which I subscribe and would want yo spare the person — such as someone raped or someone who was really naive or even someone who had another method that failed, having longer-term and more complex management of the whole experience ahead of them). And, to answer another question which is often out of sight, I do believe it’s okay to have sex without planning to get pregnant (and while using condoms or what have you). On the other hand, I see it as healthy to be welcoming of a pregnancy and child if fertilization and implantation happen in a decent relationship or marriage while not planned per se.

• Marleen August 2, 2022 / 11:28 am

Mmm… I also think it’s find gif a woman who is not in a relationship to go ahead and gave a child. (I don’t want to imply something I didn’t mean to, thus this clarification.)

Correction: and would want to spare the person — such as someone raped or someone who was really naive or even someone who had another method that failedhaving longer-term and more complex management of the whole experience

4. Melanie B Cee August 2, 2022 / 1:21 pm

Heck of a post Fandango. Very valid points and what a great comments discussion was had!

5. Nope, Not Pam August 2, 2022 / 1:21 pm

No sex. Most effective means. Let’s vote that through 🙄

6. JT Twissel August 2, 2022 / 1:36 pm

I can’t understand being against birth control. That to me is like being pro-overpopulation, pro-more pollution, pro-destruction of the planet.

7. Marilyn Armstrong August 2, 2022 / 4:21 pm

It never made any sense to me to be against abortion AND birth control. Barefoot and back to the kitchen? What if she can’t cook?

• Lolsy's Library August 3, 2022 / 5:23 am

Like the Jennifer Lopez songs says
      “I ain’t gon’ be cooking all day, I ain’t your mama
      I ain’t gon’ do your laundry, I ain’t your mama
      I ain’t your mama, boy, I ain’t your mama
      When you gon’ get your act together?
      I ain’t your mama”

8. donmatthewspoetry August 2, 2022 / 6:43 pm

No more sex
    Let’s abstain
    Problem sorted
    Shine or rain

Seriously I like your ‘replacement’ idea for controlling population growth…

And it should be a personal thing. Not religious. Not political……

9. Lolsy's Library August 3, 2022 / 5:22 am

I wish they would vote on something that would actually help Americans, instead of hinder them. That’d be nice. Better healthcare, education, mental health services, reform the justice system (too much? lol). Anything else other than controlling the bodies of Americans, that they will never meet. And I’m not even American.

10. Carol anne August 4, 2022 / 6:31 pm

I agree. Why are issues like this made into political issues? Its disgraceful!

11. leigha66 August 6, 2022 / 3:20 pm

*hangs head in shame* There are times I really hate being from the state of Iowa!