It’s a Paradox

The above headlined flashed up on my iPhone’s newsfeed today. What? Contraception prevents unplanned, unwanted pregnancies, and women who choose to have abortions do so, to a large extent, because of unplanned, unwanted pregnancies. So doesn’t it follow that advocating the use of contraceptives and promoting their availability would reduce the demand for abortions? Yes, it does.

But that logic seems to be beyond what many religious and social conservatives can grasp, so they continue to follow the paradox of being opposed to both abortion and contraception.

The federal right to contraceptives is accepted in the United States because the Supreme Court decided, in the 1965 Griswold v. Connecticut case, that married couples have a constitutional right to buy and use contraceptives without government intrusion.

Yet after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the decision that gave women the right to have a legal abortion, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and other conservatives justices have vowed to erase the right for women to have access to birth control by going after Griswold v. Connecticut just as they did Roe v. Wade.

In an effort to ensure the right for Americans to have legal access to birth control, Democrats introduced a bill in the U.S. House of Representatives, The Right to Contraception Act, that would enshrine that right to contraceptives into federal statutory law. It would ban states from restricting access to the pill, IUDs, and emergency contraceptives, while also giving both the attorney general and medical providers the authority to bring civil lawsuits against state governments that restrict contraception access. It passed the House last week in a 228-195 vote.

But for some reason, the Democratic effort to guarantee the right to contraception under federal law sputtered in the Senate along partisan lines Wednesday. Republican Senators said no to codifying contraceptives on a federal level.

I just don’t understand why those who oppose abortion also often oppose contraception. It seems rather paradoxical to me.

As Democratic Senator Ed Markey of Massachusetts said on the Senate floor today, “No abortion, but no birth control to prevent the need for one. That is where the Republican Party is today.”

36 thoughts on “It’s a Paradox

1. amoralegria July 27, 2022 / 8:17 pm

It’s scary, what the Republican Party has become. Just when you think it can’t get any worse, it does. I’m worried about the direction this country is going – it seems toward a totalitarian, possibly fascist state. I know there are “normal” Republicans out there, and they are worried too.

• Fandango July 27, 2022 / 10:18 pm

The “normal” Republicans need to shout loudly about how the fat right has stolen Their Party from them.

2. rugby843 July 27, 2022 / 9:43 pm

When old Justice Thomas is able to have a baby, he can decide for others

Sent from my iPhone

3. Marleen July 27, 2022 / 9:49 pm

Yeah, it’s paradoxical. At the same time, I’m not letting Democrats off the hook for not getting rid of the filibuster. Blocking is possible due to the filibuster.

• donmatthewspoetry July 28, 2022 / 3:58 am

I would go along with that – no hope. I also think gun control is too far gone. like you, I’m glad I don’t live in America……

4. Nope, Not Pam July 28, 2022 / 4:10 am

It’s not controlling unwanted pregnancies they want birth. Doesn’t matter if the parents don’t, they do and they don’t want you to have a choice in the matter. Having said that, there is always the withdrawal technique and my personal favourite… no sex for you buster

5. Jay July 28, 2022 / 8:17 am

Funny, when I told a friend about the very real fear everyone with a uterus has, even more now, of a pregnancy from rape, he told me it was just fearmongering and I was being dramatic and thinkingthe US would become Gilead. Well…

6. Melanie B Cee July 28, 2022 / 12:50 pm

Aw, geez! 🙄🤨😖🤬 Never let it be said that things can’t get worse. That’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard this week. But some faiths don’t ‘believe’ in birth control either and think it’s “God’s will” to bring as many children as possible to Earth. Frankly I’d get fixed.

• Fandango July 28, 2022 / 10:04 pm

I never trust anyone who claims to know God’s will.

• Melanie B Cee July 29, 2022 / 10:23 am

I have the same trouble. I ‘know’ (bowing in deference to your beliefs on the subject of “God”) that He speaks to me, but it’s not like He comes down and starts talking audibly. It’s a soul/mind thing. I always wonder why the person saying “It’s God’s will” is so full of themselves that they think a deity would actually talk to them. This includes clergy.

7. Carol anne July 30, 2022 / 8:55 am

I dont understand their mentality! The republicans I mean. I mean its just so outrageous that they want to bann the pill, IUD’S etc. To me that just seems so wrong!

8. leigha66 July 31, 2022 / 5:30 am

So a ban on contraceptives would include condoms… there goes the STD rates through the roof.