Share Your World — 07/25/2022

Share Your World

Another Monday, the last Monday in July already. Can believe how fast this year is flying by? And Melanie has given us another Share Your World challenge. Let’s get to it.

What mythical creature would improve the world most if it existed? (If you don’t know, just choose something that you think would improve things.)

How about a benevolent genie who would grant three wishes? What would be my three wishes to improve the world that I would ask the genie to grant? I don’t know. Maybe Melanie can ask that question in a future edition of Share Your World.

Should the death penalty be re-instated? Why or why not?

Wait. The death penalty in the U.S. has already been reinstated. Back in 1972, the Supreme Court banned the death penalty in the United States, ruling that the punishment, as applied, was unconstitutional. But then, in 1976, the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty.

Today, 24 states allow the death penalty. 23 states have abolished capital punishment altogether. Three states, California, Oregon, and Pennsylvania, have governor-issued moratoriums in place, halting executions in the state.

How do I feel about the death penalty? I am not in favor of it. And what surprises me, but shouldn’t, is how many of those who say they’re pro-life are also pro-death penalty. I guess they feel that the life of a fetus is worth more than the life of a person.

Spontaneity or stability?

I think a well rounded person can experience both spontaneity and stability as the occasion and circumstances call for.

Can a dog/cat suffer? What about an ant? What about a plant? What about a bacteria cell? Why do some humans think we’re the only species that does suffer? Your thoughts?

I don’t know about ants, plants, or bacteria cells, but if you’ve ever seen a dog suffering during fireworks or thunderstorms, you know they suffer. Same with cats when in pain. Why do some humans think we’re the only species that does suffer? Because they are egotistical and probably believe every word in the Bible.

What are two things that have brightened your day today?

I’ll let you know as soon as they happen.

14 thoughts on “Share Your World — 07/25/2022

1. Marilyn Armstrong July 25, 2022 / 3:14 pm

My mother favored the death penalty even though she was extremely liberal otherwise. But I think were she alive now, she might have changed her mind. Garry changed his mind. I never favored it. But this is one thing that even in this state was never aligned to liberal or conservative agendas. It was always a personal choice, probably the very last thing that ISN’T linked to a party agenda.

2. Marleen July 25, 2022 / 6:47 pm

I’m against the death penalty for two reason: too many innocent people are convicted; our favored means, like the electric chair and injections, are pretty horrid… as, actually, are the older ways as well such as hanging and firing squad (which was, however, recently approved for request). At the same time, I’m not against the death penalty per se. I’ve told my daughter-in-law it’s okay to kill a rapist. I don’t know if she disagrees or, rather, thinks she wouldn’t prevail. She says she would die if someone tried to rape her, because she wouldn’t let anyone rape her. I suppose she just thinks a rapist would kill a woman for not complying. (On the other hand, it’s not unheard-of that they kill even a person who complies.)

As for people being egotistical and not thinking animals or plants can suffer, the Bible says that warring people should not destroy trees in the lands of enemies, because the trees didn’t do anything wrong. The Bible also has rules to reduce the suffering of animals when animals are used for meat. These guidelines are a major part (and arguably nearly the most important part) of how something is deemed kosher or not (in current culture); such standards are often indicative of meats marketed as natural or organic as well. The considerations reduce harm to humans meanwhile, as stress hormones in the bloodstream are reduced thereby. Check into non-kosher meat processing; pretty darn gruesome.

3. donmatthewspoetry July 25, 2022 / 8:23 pm

Greed rules the world so a genie splashing non-greed around would improve things. Trouble is I think humans are born with a greed gene and sadly flawed….

4. Mister Bump UK July 25, 2022 / 10:35 pm

I don’t necessarily see an anomoly there. They’re saying that the life of a foetus is worth more that the life of a person who has committed some awful crime. I can see a certain logic there, although it is a very fundamentalist argument. It is one that might have been applied 2,000 years ago. It’d be nice to think that society has advanced since then.

• Fandango July 25, 2022 / 11:08 pm

The issue is that a lot of people who are either on death row or have been executed have been found to be innocent of their crimes after DNA evidence was found or another confessed to the crime after the fact. And besides, doesn’t Christianity teach that we are all born sinners. So if that’s the belief, then the fetus, if it is considered to be a person, must be no less a sinner than a convicted felon. Am I wrong?

• Mister Bump UK July 25, 2022 / 11:19 pm

But that’s a different issue.
        One issue is “somebody should forfeit their life when they kill someone”. (I’m being deliberately brief here.)
        That the court system should get things right is an entirely different issue. You’d hope that everybody would be supporting that argument.
        Don’t forget, the bible teaches “an eyer for an eye”, and that’s where these people are picking up their doctrines. The trouble is that the bible (any religious text) is often contradictory and fundamentalists use this to their convenience.

5. Sadje July 26, 2022 / 12:11 am

I hope something did happen to cheer up your day.

6. Melanie B Cee July 26, 2022 / 9:26 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World and a mighty interesting read in your comments’ section too! I’ve tagged your question and will do another “Blogger’s Questions” post in the future, thanks for the suggestion. So since no ‘bright spots” I take there hasn’t been a visit from the grandkiddies? Or a cute puppy antic to make you smile? Aw. So sorry. Wonderful answers all. Have a fantastic week!

• Fandango July 26, 2022 / 12:28 pm

No, with my wife on crutches, no visiting grandkids.

• Melanie B Cee July 27, 2022 / 8:03 am

I had forgotten. You still have four? weeks to go? I’m glad she didn’t get worse injuries! And the dog is in the dog house I suspect…

7. leigha66 July 28, 2022 / 10:09 pm

A cat, dog, birds, horses, all animals can suffer at the hands of a human… you tend t see a little more humane treatment from other animals (like preditors going after the weaker members of a group and any kills I have seen have been pretty swift). Not sure about plants or bacteria though… good question to think on.

Comments are closed.