I’m So Tired

This getting up at five in the morning is taking its toll on me. I’m retired, for crissake. I shouldn’t have to be up at the crack of dawn. I’m so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. And I’ve got to keep this up for at least the next six weeks. Why? I’m glad you asked.

It all started a week ago yesterday when my wife broke a bone in her foot. How? Well let’s just say that our our rescue dog, a fifteen month old, 70 pound, active and rambunctious mixed breed mutt, knocked her off her feet, literally. Our dog was doing zoomies, explosions of energy that dogs have on occasion, around our backyard. Zoomies are a natural dog behavior that is most often no cause for alarm.

Well, mostly no cause for alarm. But in this case, the zoomies resulted in my wife lying on the ground, grabbing her foot, and crying out in pain after our dog collided with her.

I drove her (my wife, not the dog) to the ER, where an X-ray determined that she had fractured a bone in her foot. An orthopedic surgeon looked at the X-ray and confirmed the fracture, but the good new was that surgery wouldn’t be necessary and nor would a hard cast. She was issued a protective boot (see below), and a pair of crutches, told to stay off her foot, keep it elevated, and take Advil as needed for pain. For about seven weeks!

Before this zoomies incident, my wife used to get up at around 5:00 and take the dog out for her morning walk. I’d usually crawl out of bed a few hours later. But now, as Mrs. Fandango is incapacitated, it all falls on me to get up before the sun and take the dog out for her first walk, not to mention for her last walk of the night at around 10 pm. Every day for six more weeks.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll go for a nap now.

55 thoughts on “I’m So Tired

1. Paula Light July 23, 2022 / 7:23 am

Oh no! I hope she heals with no problems. Don’t forget to bring her ice cream – it helps!

2. donmatthewspoetry July 23, 2022 / 7:37 am

Yep. fractures take 6wks to mend. Sorry ’bout that……..

However the sun looks lovely at that time of the morning…..

Yawn……..

3. pensitivity101 July 23, 2022 / 7:42 am

Maya gets up with the sun, so that can be anytime between 4 and 5am. Recently she has been considerate and gone back to bed when I told her and given us an extra half hour/hour. This morning it was 5.20 when she wanted to go out. Better that than a mess to clear up.|
    Early morning walks can be 6ish to avoid crowds and other dogs , even more so now as she’s come into season for the first time.
    Hope Mrs Fandango isn’t in too much discomfort. Maya weighs in at 30+ kgs at 8 months so I can appreciate the impact of excited doggie. Maya has zoomies too but we try to get her outside for those.
    Luckily for us our settees make comfy temporary sleeping places so when Maya naps, we take full advantage!

• Fandango July 23, 2022 / 9:22 am

Yeah, ours zonks out for a few hours after a case of the zoomies.

• pensitivity101 July 23, 2022 / 9:54 am

Maya might nap for an hour, maybe ninety minutes if we’re lucky. She’s doing OK though, and surprisingly, so am I, especially as I’ve never been an early riser, not even when we were on the boat. Hubby has always been up between 5.30 and 6. Maggie and I used to go back to sleep until 8, and those few hours were always the deepest sleep I had!

4. Marlapaige July 23, 2022 / 8:55 am

I hope she heals up quickly!
    Also, why not switch it up for the next few weeks? In the early morning (assuming there is no food left out), doggies rarely have to poop, but pee they must. Put her in the back yard at 5 to pee then go back to sleep. Then walk her at 7 or whatever. But even if she does poop, you have to pick it up whether it’s in the back yard or on a walk, so you’re not making it harder on yourself, just more convenient. Just a thought…
    Good luck!!

• Fandango July 23, 2022 / 9:25 am

She usually does both on that first walk. And yes, I always have my poop bags with me, even when we’re just in the backyard!

• Marlapaige July 23, 2022 / 9:31 am

There you go! Back yard so you can stay in pjs and not have to go get ready and dressed thus waking up too much!

5. Gradmama2011 July 23, 2022 / 9:30 am

wowee! According to the internet (so it must be true) Jessica Simpson’s networth is $200 Million!

• Fandango July 23, 2022 / 9:40 am

Interesting, but I’m not sure what that has to do with my post. 😁

• Gradmama2011 July 24, 2022 / 1:05 pm

I don’t get out much, Jim, so I have to work with whatever google tells me. I looked her up to see if she had a music background. Acting, modeling, etc. Your post was chatting about TV commercials so ….

• Fandango July 24, 2022 / 2:38 pm

I think you may be confusing my post about my wife breaking a bone in her foot with someone else’s post, as mine had nothing to do with TV commercials. But no worries, I’d be happy to chat about TV commercials and/or Jessica Simpson with you. 😉

• Gradmama2011 July 25, 2022 / 6:42 am

“TV Viewing Choices” wasn’t that your post and discussion? You (I thought) specifically asked for comments on the subject.

• Fandango July 25, 2022 / 6:47 am

Nope. The post you replied to was about how my dog knocked my wife off her feet and the fall broke a bone in my wife’s foot.

• Gradmama2011 July 25, 2022 / 8:35 am

I thought you and another blogger were one and the same. So that’s why my comments are so off-base in applying to your posts. (duh)

6. msjadeli July 23, 2022 / 10:35 am

Sorry to hear Mrs. Fandango is laid up from a freak accident. I don’t blame you for being cranky about early rising for the next so many weeks.

7. Sadje July 23, 2022 / 10:41 am

So sorry! Give my love to Mrs Fandango! Walking will keep you healthier, especially early morning

8. Marleen July 23, 2022 / 11:04 am

Awwww … enjoy the sunrises.

High hopes your wife does great and heals well.

9. JT Twissel July 23, 2022 / 11:28 am

Our cat generally gets us up about five – sometimes earlier! Pets! Hope your wife stays off her feet and gets better soon.

10. Lou Carreras July 23, 2022 / 12:04 pm

Max, our 60-pound 16-month-old rescue, luckily likes to sleep in til 5:30, by which tie H.I.M. Xenia was given my ear the wet willy to get me up. May I suggest a dog run in the yard? It won’t help with the zoomies ( trust me, I know), but it might give you a break while you brew your wife a nice cup of coffee, toast a bagel, and brush your teeth.

• Fandango July 23, 2022 / 3:51 pm

We have a dog run on the side of the house, but it’s not directly accessible without going out into the yard.

11. Melanie B Cee July 23, 2022 / 12:06 pm

That’s terrible. But that’s my go-to wake up in the first place, as Ziggy believes I should be awake. And perhaps he does have to go out. Maybe it’s a conspiracy among the canines to prove just who is really in charge! 😉 Take care and I’d grab naps when puppy was napping. Win/win for both of you!

12. bushboy July 23, 2022 / 4:13 pm

All will be back on track soon so enjoy a temporary life style change. Look after the missus like she looks after you 🙂

• Fandango July 23, 2022 / 10:40 pm

Thanks, Brian. I guess six weeks in the scheme of things is nothing.

13. Taswegian1957 July 23, 2022 / 5:09 pm

At least it’s summer where you are. Early morning is probably the best time to be up when a hot day is forecast. I hope Mrs Fandango heals up well.

14. Nope, Not Pam July 24, 2022 / 4:07 am

I hope Mrs Fandango is ok, and you’ll get used to getting up earlier. In the end you’ll just wake up at that time without conscious thought

15. RuthScribbles July 24, 2022 / 10:30 am

Getting up early is for the birds-I mean dogs! Ug. Hope the next zoomies don’t get you! Get well wishes for your wife!

16. Carol anne July 25, 2022 / 10:29 am

Sorry to hear Mrs. Fandango broke a bone in her foot!
    I think you should stop walking the dog, as a punishment, for what she did to your wife! Lol!

• Fandango July 25, 2022 / 7:43 pm

If I stopped walking her, I’d have a real mess on my hands! 😆

17. leigha66 July 27, 2022 / 11:59 pm

.Oh no, I hope Mrs. Fandango heals quickly and with little pain. As for your issues, take lots of naps, they are wonderful!