Opus Dei

The following Editor’s letter in the latest issue of The Week magazine was penned by the magazine’s co-managing editor, Susan Caskie. The reason I’m posting it here is because I’ve been expressing to people, both in real life and on this blog, that America is rapidly heading toward becoming a Christian theocracy. The reactions I have received from many range from being told that I’m making a mountain out of a molehill, that I’m a Chicken Little claiming that the sky is falling, and to, “Well, America is a Christian nation, you know.”

So when I read this opinion piece, I felt at least some sense of relief that I’m not alone in my concerns and that I’m not a crazy conspiracy theorist crying wolf. Please take a moment to read this and let me know what you think in the comments.

A 40-foot Christian cross can stand on public land. A public-school football coach can pray to Jesus on the field. A U.S. state must extend its vouchers to Christian schools that teach “a Christian worldview.” The newly activist Supreme Court has given a green light to all these government-sanctioned expressions of religious belief, in defiance of previous rulings that the Constitution bars official endorsement of a particular religion.

Since John Roberts became chief justice in 2005, the court has ruled for religious organizations 85 percent of the time. And while past courts often protected minority faiths, this one showers freshly discovered rights on the Christian majority. Under Roberts, says Northeastern University law professor Wendy Parmet, “almost all of the decisions are issued on behalf of Catholics or evangelicals.”

That is not an accident. Republican presidents have for decades outsourced their court picks to the Federalist Society, whose co-chair Leonard Leo is a member of the far-right Catholic sect Opus Dei. The result is an overwhelmingly Catholic court. Only about 21 percent of Americans are Catholic (including — full disclosure here — my mother’s side of the family, the Irish side; the Scottish Caskies are Episcopalian). Yet six out of the nine justices are Catholic, or seven if you count Neil Gorsuch, who was raised Catholic. In theory, judges put their personal beliefs aside. But does anyone doubt that the worldviews of these justices strongly colored their opinions in these cases — and in overturning Roe v. Wade? The belief that full human personhood begins at conception and that the rights of an embryo trump those of a woman is a conservative Christian teaching — one not shared by a majority of Americans.

Our Constitution prohibits the government from favoring, or “establishing,” one faith as the state religion. But we are getting perilously close to doing just that.

36 thoughts on “Opus Dei

1. Paula Light July 21, 2022 / 7:31 am

I think we WERE once a Christian theocracy, more or less, and what’s incredibly sad is that we seemed to be moving beyond that into a more pluralistic, tolerant society and then, screech, the brakes were stomped on and now we’re careening backward. For us oldies, we saw the forward momentum, and now we’re horrified by the backslide. It’s somewhat different now because Catholics are part of the regression ~ there was a time they were looked down upon by the Protestants here, but now as long as they oppose the dreaded lib’ruls and atheists, the theocracy types welcome them. What’s really dismaying though are any Jews who favor this. Hello, history!

2. newepicauthor July 21, 2022 / 7:59 am

Christian Nationalism is the single biggest threat to America, as we have all lost our freedoms over this.

3. lifelessons July 21, 2022 / 8:00 am

Couldn’t agree more. As religion slides further away fro what it should stand for, it seems to be increasing its stranglehold. Headed toward another Spanish Inquisition, I fear.

• Fandango July 21, 2022 / 4:59 pm

Not according to Wikipedia, for what that’s worth. But maybe it is.

• Fandango July 21, 2022 / 3:42 pm

It does seem to be headed in that direction, doesn’t it?

4. XingfuMama July 21, 2022 / 8:36 am

One of the things that struck me with the decision about the fifty yard line coach was that the fascist majority was willing to lie openly and blatantly in their opinion. In my view that demonstrated that they have gone full fascist. I encourage people to stop calling them “conservatives”. Conservatives would at least pretend to respect the Constitution and care about the integrity of the court. They’ve gone beyond that. Also, it’s worth noting that they call themselves Christian but their actions are not consistent with what Jesus taught, in terms of mercy, judgment, etc. Read the sermon on the mount Matthew chapters 6&7 for details. I believe the word used in that passage (in the translations I have read) for people like the supreme court justices is hypocrites.

• Marleen July 21, 2022 / 11:33 am

Yes, don’t believe your “lying” (functioning) eyes and ears. Believe the liars on the High Court.

5. Dr. Rex July 21, 2022 / 10:28 am

Reblogged this on It Is What It Is and commented:
    I know about OPUS DEI … I was raised Catholic! This is quite disturbing!! … What happened with ‘separation of church and state’? – guess it’s done!! … “Republican presidents have for decades outsourced their court picks to the Federalist Society, whose co-chair Leonard Leo is a member of the far-right Catholic sect Opus Dei.”

6. Melanie B Cee July 21, 2022 / 1:06 pm

Um, I’m hesitant to comment because I don’t want to start another short versus long war. 😕 However, aren’t we just coming to another part of the circle of happenings that America seems to cling to? Once none of the things listed in that first paragraph – the cross, the prayers, the other Christian based religious fodder – were anything untoward. They just were. Like the Pledge of Allegiance. For me personally? It’s the over riding bent towards more and more political correctness that’s the threat. Nobody can do or say anything much anymore without someone else popping up and crying “Infringement of MY rights” and forgetting that everybody else has the same rights (at least here and for now). Nobody wants to have themselves violated or feel harassed 🙄 for having an opinion, which to folks like myself, they are entitled to. BUT. Nobody wants some other feeling harassed or whatever twit telling them that their opinions are wrong because of X (insert any hotly controversial topic you wish). I agree that there is an unsettling trend towards more Christianity coming to bear in our society. Remember though that the radical fringe (which IMO most of those making those half-assed decisions and forcing their views on other people) .. the radical fringe exists in EVERY GROUP you can name. We’re told to vote out the people we see as making bad decisions, but what happens when those decision makers have left their common sense and good judgment at the door? And somebody voted the morons and incredibly stupid people in to their office. Perhaps I should have read this article for content, but I admit I skimmed. I’m at odds with anyone who starts spouting about a problem and offers no solutions. That’s not aimed at you, it’s at the editorial writer.

7. Nope, Not Pam July 21, 2022 / 2:43 pm

We look like we’ve dodged a bullet here in Australia

8. Lou Carreras July 21, 2022 / 3:43 pm

The “right” is taken to be monolithic. But as their supposed victory approaches the inevitable divisions will rear rather ugly heads – let those anabaptists, Pentecostals, Tridentine and Charismatics start arguing over orthodoxy. I relish the Auto de Fe from a distance.

9. RuthScribbles July 22, 2022 / 10:04 am

I’m with you! We are becoming a theocracy.

Have you watched The Family on Netflix 4-5 episodes…. how we got here! Very disturbing but you’ll see you are not chicken little.

10. Michael July 23, 2022 / 3:54 am

As an atheist the irony is not lost on me when I say you reap what you sow…

America has been in a moral, financial and social downward spiral for decades now and the anarchist in me is loving it. Not in spite of the religious rights effort to stem the decline, but because of it. Don’t get me wrong the left have let themselves down horribly with their polarisation and inability to compromise and actually engage in sensible dialogue…

Just go full Gilead and get on with it…its what half of America want it seems.

Then its mad max time, bring on the Thunderdome!

• Fandango July 23, 2022 / 6:12 am

And I thought The Handmaid’s Tail was intended to be a work of fiction, not a vision of America’s future.

• Michael July 23, 2022 / 11:52 am

You were meant to be better than this ..frightfully sad…

Not you obviously…but collectively.

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 12:28 pm

………..

Since the organization became a prelature, however, it has required only a contractual commitment to receive spiritual formation, which includes weekly classes (“circles”) and an annual religious retreat, among other activities. Members commonly practice self-sacrifice, which can include fasting and abstinence from certain pleasures, and self-mortification, such as the wearing of a cilice (which often takes the form of a spiked chain worn around the upper thigh), is not discouraged. New members serve a period of probation, which lasts at least five years, before they are fully admitted. Some members of Opus Dei, called numeraries, devote much of their time to the organization. Like priests, they are required to remain unmarried and celibate, but they live in the world and pursue secular occupations. The majority of members, however, are the supernumeraries, who are free to marry, contribute financially to Opus Dei, and demonstrate Christian virtue in their daily activities. The group is also financially assisted by cooperators, who are not members and, by permission of the Holy See, need not even be Christians. …

….

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 12:41 pm

For the record:

By The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica • Last Updated: Jun 20, 2022 • …

Opus Dei, (Latin: “Work of God”) in full Prelature of the Holy Cross and Opus Dei, Roman Catholic lay and clerical organization whose members seek personal Christian perfection and strive to implement Christian ideals and values in their occupations and in society as a whole. Theologically conservative, Opus Dei accepts the teaching authority of the church without question and has long been the subject of controversy; it has been accused of secrecy, cultlike practices, and political ambitions.

And, while I’m at it, a correction to the below post (11:45 AM today): “This” (not Thus)…

11. Marleen July 23, 2022 / 11:45 am

Thus is a relatively long article and worth reading:

A circuit judge in Kentucky has again blocked a pair of state abortion bans from taking effect — in part, he said, because they adopt “a distinctly Christian and Catholic belief” about when life begins.

“The laws at issue here adopt the view embraced by some, but not all, religious traditions, that life begins at the moment of conception,” Judge Mitch Perry of the Jefferson County Circuit Court wrote in an opinion issued Friday.

“The General Assembly is not permitted to single out and endorse the doctrine of a favored faith for preferred treatment. By taking this approach, the bans fail to account for the diverse religious views of many Kentuckians whose faith leads them to take very different views of when life begins,” he said.

“There is nothing in our laws or history that allows for such theocratic based policymaking,” he added.

……………………………

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 1:37 pm

The quoting is from the Britannica link I shared earlier. At the end, I then have an additional link
      — generated yesterday, as well, such as the pronouncement via “the” Pope on Opus Dei was.

Aggressive recruiting practices, the brainwashing of new recruits, and the isolation of members from their families are among the charges often leveled against the organization. Membership is usually kept secret, which has fueled allegations that the group operates as a cult or elite secret society{link}. Pointing to its continued growth, Opus Dei denies these accusations and has the continued support of the Vatican.

This article was most recently revised and updated by Melissa Petruzzello.

prelate
      ….

By The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica • Edit History
      prelate, an ecclesiastical dignitary of high rank. In the modern Roman Catholic church, prelates are those who exercise the public power of the church. True prelacy is defined as “preeminence with jurisdiction,” and true, or real, prelates are distinguished as (1) greater prelates, those who possess episcopal jurisdiction (such as patriarchs, archbishops, and bishops), and (2) lesser prelates, those who possess a quasi-episcopal or other jurisdiction (such as abbots and prelates “of no diocese” and religious superiors, withdrawn from the ordinary diocesan jurisdiction).

Related Topics: clergy
      {This is a link to multiple headings.}

In some Protestant churches the title of prelate was retained after the Reformation. The Church of England restricts it to bishops.

😵‍💫 https://opusdei.org/en/article/letter-from-the-prelate-regarding-the-motu-proprio-ad-charisma-tuendum/

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 2:02 pm

I don’t know why some of these faces that are available to select don’t come through.

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 3:09 pm

Democrats [quote Scalia and] Target Dark Money’s Effect on Federal Courts

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 2:00 pm

I’m pretty sure different people and different religions even see the definition of “conception” differently from each other. Some people think of conception as the meeting of the egg and the sperm — fertilized eggs in frozen state at a lab are conceived humans (as would be a fertilized egg on the sheets that gets, unbeknownst, washed down the drain) to them. Others see conception as the zygote planted [whether naturally or implanted after in vitro fertilization] in the womb — also very early, but different.

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 5:02 pm

I certainly agree with you on that.

• Marleen July 23, 2022 / 4:55 pm

Ian Morris: GEOGRAPHY IS DESTINY

At about 32 and a half minutes in, the author-guest
      explains that he wanted to explain Brexit via history.

12. Carol anne July 25, 2022 / 11:06 am

it is an interesting piece! I would have to say that I am in agreement, with yu fandango, I don’t think your a conspiracy theorist at all!

13. leigha66 July 27, 2022 / 1:14 pm

Things get more and more scary as time winds on. I can’t make my own decisions about my body now and soon it will be impossible to chose who I do or don’t pray to, Sad…