Thursday Inspirations — Show and Tell

I would never show and tell my passwords to anyone else. One reason is that more than half the time I can’t remember what they are. But the good news is that I don’t really have to anymore. Let me explain.

I rarely use my Windows laptop anymore. Honestly, I can’t recall the last time I booted up my laptop. I pretty much do everything I need to do on my iPhone, including blogging on WordPress.

But what does this have to do with passwords, you ask? Well, I’m so glad you asked. My iPhone has face recognition, and once I’ve logged into an app or an account for the first time, my iPhone saves my password in something it calls iCloud Keychain. It allows iPhone users to keep their passwords and other secure information updated.

And the next time I go to an app that has been enabled with iCloud Keychain and face recognition, I’m in — without having to try to remember or to key in my password for that app.

Is it foolproof? Is it impenetrable? Probably not. As Jim Adams said in this post, just about any system, can be broken into if enough effort is put into it, as where there is a will, there is a way. But so far, I haven’t been hacked…at least not from my iPhone.

Written for Jim Adams’ Thursday Inspiration post, as well as for Jim’s latest prompt, Friday Faithfuls, which is all about our faith — or lack thereof — in passwords.

20 thoughts on “Thursday Inspirations — Show and Tell

1. Paula Light July 15, 2022 / 6:10 pm

That sounds really convenient! I have face recognition on my iPad and it’s a bit annoying if it isn’t positioned exactly right, but luckily I remember my password for it!

2. newepicauthor July 15, 2022 / 7:09 pm

I will try face recognition on the next device that I get, but so far, I am a relic of the past using passwords to gain access.

• newepicauthor July 16, 2022 / 6:29 am

I am wondering if you have to remove that bag over your head for the facial recognition to work properly.

3. Marilyn Armstrong July 15, 2022 / 8:53 pm

Everything is fine and dandy until the day when the phone gets a new OS and forgets your face. I had to do the whole thing over again. Twice.

• Fandango July 15, 2022 / 10:04 pm

Yikes. That’s never happened to me. I must have an unforgettable face! 😉

4. Marilyn Armstrong July 15, 2022 / 8:54 pm

Also, my PREVIOUS laptop had facial recognition, but for some unknown reason, this computer doesn’t. On the other hand, it remembers all my passwords. Unfortunately, the places that USE my passwords seem to periodically forget them.

5. peNdantry July 15, 2022 / 11:18 pm

I admit it sounds like a clever technique, but I would never use facial recognition myself. Long story, but the upshot is that my facial features were permanently altered way back when I was twenty. Had I been reliant upon facial recognition at the time, those changes would have locked me out of everything. You never know when you might suffer from Bell’s Palsy, or get beaten up….

• Fandango July 16, 2022 / 5:38 am

But wouldn’t whatever your altered facial features are now work well with facial recognition, since you might have features that would truly make your face unique?

• peNdantry July 16, 2022 / 7:20 am

The point is, one can have one’s features changed (in quite dramatic ways), and if you’re now relying on facial recognition and something should happen to you, then you’d be unable to log in. Take Bell’s palsy, for instance. If you’re hit with that, the machine would probably refuse to admit it’s you.

6. Marleen July 15, 2022 / 11:44 pm

I don’t, and don’t want to, use facial recognition or – fingerprint. Passwords are a good thing. To me, using a fingerprint is almost like using “password” as a password. Or worse.

• Fandango July 16, 2022 / 5:39 am

Why? Your fingerprints are unique to you. No one else has your exact same fingerprints.

• peNdantry July 16, 2022 / 7:28 am

From the Jim Adams post you’ve linked to:

Modern AI algorithms can be used to generate fingerprints, which can deceive fingerprint scanners.

There’s also the issue, if fingerprints were to gain favour as a means of ‘secure identification’, that muggers and thieves would have few qualms about using secaturs to steal fingers along with wallets and purses…

• Fandango July 16, 2022 / 7:33 am

I’m a nobody. I’m neither important enough nor wealthy enough for anyone to go to the trouble of cutting off my fingers to get fingerprints to enable access to my iPhone.

• peNdantry July 16, 2022 / 7:58 am

You say that now… but over £3,000,000,000 was grabbed by thieving scammers in the last year alone. And that’s just how much was stolen from the UK public. It’s big business, and the problem is getting worse.

7. Carol anne July 16, 2022 / 2:44 am

I’m glad you havent been hacked. Its hard to hack into the IPhone, not impossible, but harder than say, an android phone. Xx

8. Taswegian1957 July 16, 2022 / 4:39 am

I was reading an article about this very subject just the other day. Basically it was saying that passwords are not good because most people choose very bad ones. It talked about passkeys being created with either biometrics or a device pin. I never remember passwords, apart from one or two important ones so I can see where something that doesn’t need me to remember stuff would be good. On the down side it will probably involve using a mobile phone. I really hate being on the computer and forced to go and get my phone which i barely use just to get into a website. That’s why I dislike two step verification. I know it’s silly. I just hate the damn phone. if anyone would like to read the article here is a link.

• Fandango July 16, 2022 / 5:44 am

And I’m just the opposite, rarely on my computer and doing just about everything on my phone.

9. leigha66 July 21, 2022 / 12:11 am

I am glad my computer remembers me, but then again if a hacker got in those remembered passwords would be an open door. but my puny little bank account is not going to draw much attention.

Comments are closed.